• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

If I knew back then...

Reading @Always"watching"'s interesting Pulsar Spoon thread made me have a quick look on ebay and I was surprised at the number available and the prices for some of them. This prompted me to look at a few others that I once had but moved on. A couple of Majestyk watches were there, a blue one priced at a thousand and another at nearly six hundred. I had one of each (blue and red) and sold them for just over £100 each. :sadwalk:

large.watchpics005.JPG.7e64a81b442cb3525fff6b3aa21c7fbc.JPG

The Seiko 'Spork' (which, thankfully, I still have) has also rocketed, a non working one up for £690, and another for $880.

large.053_zps0406e07f.jpg.a82b2060093f4c36624c9f7939731647.jpg

A Citizen ana-digi 'Robot face' that I once owned (bought new for around £50) are now fetching up to a thousand...:swoon:

s-l300.jpg

What do you have or have had, that was once cheap, but now worth considerably more. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, clearly I was lacking this (still am) back in the 70’s.

The only references available too me then was, libraries, museums, Horological Journal, Europa Star, & a patient (reluctant) local watchmaker/jeweller. 

48 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

What do you have that was once cheap, but now worth considerably more....

:hmmm9uh:

Hate to see grown men cry...

:biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I posted this yesterday :laughing2dw:

Now, if I could just find one of these somewhere closer to the £2.99 I think I paid at a car boot sale in 1987, I will be a happy man...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274727289140?hash=item3ff705c134:g:HVkAAOSw~v1gVgP-

s-l1600.jpg

That's seen some Rolex style inflation. Maybe we should have all invested in Rambo watches back in the day! 

• Haha 1

@Roger the DodgerI am sure you are still quids in on your Rolex Pepsi  :laugh:

I am happy I still got my Blue Majestyk. Most my vintage watches have done well with increased value especially the Omega's and Zenith's.

One watch that i sold that I bought cheap and now is worth a lot more is my old 600m Citizen Crystron Diver it was a beast of a watch -Sold it on here and I then saw it on Ebay! :rolleyes::huh:
Really big money now, that if you can find one!

DSC07748.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

What do you have or have had, that was once cheap, but now worth considerably more. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?....

I had a GMT-Master II that I sold cheap :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

I bought my Sub on holiday in Fuerteventura between Christmas and New year 2015/16 passing the A/D shop window and i had to do a double take , there was a man(turned out to be the manager just putting out a couple of Subs on display , 10 am just as the store was about to open , i stood at the door as soon as i'd checked they were for sale i said i'd take the 114060 please/thank you very much.....and there you have it , why oh why didn't i take both? been kicking myself ever since , i got a bit of an added bonus when the credit card bill came in , my £5000 rrp Rolex had only cost me £4812 ....had been lucky with the exchange rate/conversion.......believe it's now worth north of 7'5K only ticker i own that has appreciated though

Edited by midnitemo

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the truth is that if you'd have put £100 in Amazon or even Dominos shares ten years ago then you'd have done better than with any watch. We don't beat ourselves up about that so why fret over the watches? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the truth is that if you'd have put £100 in Amazon or even Dominos shares ten years ago then you'd have done better than with any watch. We don't beat ourselves up about that so why fret over the watches? :thumbsup:

Good point. 

It's fairly well known and borne out in practice that only Rolex really go up in value. Others appear to but are probably only keeping up with inflation. Still more sink like a stone or were overpriced in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, ong said:

Good point. 

It's fairly well known and borne out in practice that only Rolex really go up in value. Others appear to but are probably only keeping up with inflation. Still more sink like a stone or were overpriced in the first place. 

True, but the same could be said about a lot of shares you could have bought 10 years ago, anything high street probably worth a fraction now if they've not gone under during the past decade.

The main difference, certainly in respect to this thread is that more of us were probably spending money on watches than we were shares 10 years ago. Otherwise this would be The Stocks and Shares Forum?

I was doing both 10 years ago and lost more on watches than shares. Mind you I always steered clear of retail as remember C and A in the 1980s. 

6 minutes ago, Bricey said:

True, but the same could be said about a lot of shares you could have bought 10 years ago, anything high street probably worth a fraction now if they've not gone under during the past decade.

The main difference, certainly in respect to this thread is that more of us were probably spending money on watches than we were shares 10 years ago. Otherwise this would be The Stocks and Shares Forum?

My first 'grail' watch was a smiths w10, which I bought in excellent condition for less than £200 a few years ago - asking prices seem to have gone up an awful lot since then (whether those asking prices are achieved is another matter!).  Similarly i bought a secondhand rolex a few years ago which only seems to go in one direction.  I doubt whether these 2 outliers make even a slight dent in what I've lost on all my other purchases,  though...

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this.. it was possible for all those Rolex divers to be bought in the 60's and 70's by someone and destroyed by them to save us all from desiring these repetitive "fantastic bezel" designed diver clones.. over and over again.

And over again.. with different hands..

Over again.. with slightly different bezel..

I'm sure people are.. no wait!!

And over again with unique luminosity. 

We had the chance at that time to stop all this madness from gaining.. oh wait. ..

And over again with a dial made from moondirt! Actual moonlit from a brick that came from the moon.. 

P.S. includes a bezel made from genuine antler.

If only we had destroyed all of them.. :cursed:

Pretty much all my watches (according to chrono24 my watches are worth double) but particularly my AP.   At £3000 it wasn't cheap but its more than four times that now.

Obviously its not true that only Rolex go up in value (a couple of my vintage watches didn't) but many brands go up in value if you chose the right model.   The difference with Rolex is its easy to chose the models (steel sports) whereas with other brands you might require some knowledge.

None. I don't sell my watches. I have a few, and only because I liked them enough that it would require getting something for them in order to move them on. But for the vast majority of my watches I've moved on, I've given them away without anything in return.

Mostly, for me, it's regrets about letting go of some of my first few microbrands. Like my Serket Reef Diver 2.0... such an amazing quality watch that I regret letting go of every day. I did so because of the size, 48mm. But now I don't even care, I just want the watch!!! Ugh, oh well. Same with my Dwatch prototype. They were really cool, you got to choose your own case finishing, bezel insert, hands set, and dial layout from about 10 different options for each. It was very very cool. And a top grade 2824 all for $700! I got a prototype for $500 in exchange for a review on WUS. Looked great on a gasgasbones nylon bund. Oh and my Orsa Monstrum! Best case back ever!!! Garbage movement though. I'll never get another watch with a Miyota 8 series movement ever again. Worst movements I've ever experienced in a watch and I experienced how crappy they are in 3 different watches.

• Like 1