• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Why? Chronograph edition...

3 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Why is it that the running seconds is always in a subdial instead of central, while all other functions of the Chrono are subdials?

? I've looked at plenty chronos with a running centre seconds hand and wouldn't want one. For accurate timing a  centre seconds stop watch hand is always going to be easier read, and much more accurate.

• Agree 1

Always annoys me, I often set the stop watch going so the central second hand moves.

I've always assumed the the larger dial and second hand allows for easier / more accurate reading of the seconds on the stop watch?

Edited by Bricey

7 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Always annoys me, I often set the stop watch going so the central second hand moves.

Google "leaving the second hand running".

At least a decent nights worth of reading. Plus check out issued military chronograph operations/features.

21 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Why is it that the running seconds is always in a subdial instead of central, while all other functions of the Chrono are subdials?

As Bricey said having the chronograph / stop watch second hand as a full size hand reading off the main dial allows for easier and more accurate reading of elapsed seconds.

However the configuration of a chronograph isn't always as you describe such as my Speedmaster Automatic which has a Lemania 5100 base movement - minute register is a fourth hand, lower sub-dial is hours register, left hand sub-dial is continuous seconds and top sub-dial is a 24 hour indicator.

large.815122611_P9290287-Copy.JPG.0a5770f67b56459eae96df2d269b86e0.JPG

Umm..

Could it be that the "time" of these things is not as important as the "function" of these things?

They are stopwatches that have had the time added to them. Their function is to be chronographs that just happen to be handy at telling the time. 

It would be like saying that the bezel of a diver is more important than water resistance.