• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

ACIER JB GARANTI Pocket Watch

aol

Looking for history, data or any information regarding my ACIER JB GARANTI pocket watch. Given to my great grand father as a gift from the Czar of Russia Nicholas II between 1884-1917 in appreciation for providing engineering/manufacturing tooling in the textile industry.  Gun metal case, case# 32549, dials for minutes, seconds, day, week, month and moon. Approx. 3.5" round, 5" tall, and an inch thick.   

30 minutes ago, aol said:

Looking for history, data or any information regarding my ACIER JB GARANTI pocket watch. Given to my great grand father as a gift from the Czar of Russia Nicholas II between 1884-1917 in appreciation for providing engineering/manufacturing tooling in the textile industry.  Gun metal case, case# 32549, dials for minutes, seconds, day, week, month and moon. Approx. 3.5" round, 5" tall, and an inch thick.   

Sounds interesting. Photos would be nice and helpful for indentification. The name you've given sounds more like the case material than the name of the maker. Use the gallery free trial if you don't have hosted images to link to.

https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/subscriptions/

6 minutes ago, aol said:

I clicked on it and then clicked on "all" and the pictures came up...I'll try it again

If you right click on one of the pictures, the first option should be "Open picture in new tab". If you do that, copy the URL that gives you and post it here, the picture should embed in the post before you hit submit.

The term, "Acier Garanti" essentially means, "Guaranteed Steel". It was sometimes used on watches as a mark to denote treated/blued steel, and your watch case will therefore probably be made of that material. Note that care will need to be exercised not to destroy the original finish by over-cleaning the watch; if in doubt, leave well alone. I would suggest that the Acier Garanti designation began to decline with the birth and development of stainless steel as a watch material. 

19 hours ago, aol said:

Thanks very much. Yes its a steel case.  Is there some way to find out the actual Watcher Maker? I found one very small inscription on the movement inside.

Looks like Y10G0 6

https://imgur.com/sDrTDc3

https://imgur.com/aeUQY4Y

Hopefully these work

Thanks!! 

sDrTDc3.jpeg

aeUQY4Y.jpeg

Someone might be able to tell you something about it. @Karrusel?

Calendar, Moon Phase, Goliath PW, with a Swiss lever escapement movement.

These were produced in fairly large numbers from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s, typically found with nickel/gun metal cases.

HTH

• Like 2