• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New arrival, Seiko 5 Cal. 410

I posted this on the WRUW but since I have, after all, put myself through the pain of synchronising the no-quickset day date, I felt it only right to inflict another picture on you also.

IMG_20210603_124103388(1).thumb.jpg.c2e3679ed5e8487c85c3ca5b118d9fb3.jpg

March 1964.

The Cal. 410 was re-numbered 6606b, and a quick-set date improvement became the 6619 shortly afterwards.

The version prior to this had only 17 jewels, so this represented a significant improvement to, erm, 18 jewels.  An extra three decorative jewels were embedded in the plates to pick the count up to 21.

Supernumary.

IMG_20210603_125515292_HDR(1)(1).thumb.jpg.4975a95160be045bb8c8f5895ce119fd.jpg

Deluxe versions were made in stainless steel, and I was almost persuaded down that road, but sentiment drew me to this first of the 5's.

The 'magic lever' automatic movement winds efficiently in both directions, with little 'dead angle', though I do not intend to evaluate the power reserve, since it is staying on the winder when not in use, to minimise manual date changing.

You will be pleased to know my shark-mesh bracelet is a perfect fit, so no need to break out the rusty snips!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 8

That dial and hands would have got the accolade "exquisite" from my lips if only the day/date window had been less clumsy or missing altogether. I do have to admit though that I generally prefer to wear watches with a date function because I do use the date function quite frequently. Going back to the watch, I especially like the font that Seiko have used for the term, "WATER PROOF".:)

• Thanks 1