• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Most recent order - Serica Watch

I'm super excited for this watch.  I shouldn't be, it's really rather plain, but they did plain with panache somehow here.

Let's get something straight right off the bat here... I hate mesh bracelets! Always have, they repulse me in every way possible and ruin what otherwise could be a nice watch, but this thing is to die for! First, it has taper, a nice 4mm taper, which for me with any watch is paramount. Those lug attachments are also very nice, almost oysteresque in a way and they don't exactly blend with the mesh, yet nor do they clash.

I really dig the lugs, with that added dimensional twist for flare. I love the oversized protruding crown for ease of grip, which a true diver would have. I even like the lack of crown guards, though a diver ought to have them, I neither dive nor care and actually really dislike the look of them. Functionally speaking they make using the crown very difficult, especially if used with gloves. So I don't find that a necessity for any watch, not even a diver. As long as it's a screwed crown, that's all there needs to be for protection and water tightness.

You know, I can't quite put my finger on what exactly they did right, other than to say they did everything right for me. I really cannot get enough of looking at the pictures of this thing! Anyway, look forward to giving first impressions. Photos are from their website.

serica-5Q9A9153-scaled.jpg

screen11.png

SERICA_5303-1-scaled.jpg

SERICA_5303-1_DIAL-scaled.jpg

SERICA_5303-1_BRACELET-scaled.jpg

Serica-5303-1-black-lifestyle-photo-4.jpg

serica-5303-1-liestyle-1.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JoT said:

I don't like the hands but other than that I think it is a good looking timepiece, I like the bracelet and the dual use bezel :yes:

In fact the hands are one of the reasons I love it, because I like busy looking dials, but I could see them being polarizing for sure. That hour hand is gargantuan.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rotundus said:

this is one of those watches i need to see in the metal.

agrre the bezel is good ...

The biggest negative of the microbrand world right here... Have to hit and hope basically.

I've had a few swings with a miss... Straton Syncro, Dan Henry 19xx with the utterly useless 60 second Chrono function and a couple others I'm sure that I'm forgetting but my mind says are there. Still, I think I will always prefer microbrand to these large manufacturers either turning out crap I can't stand (enter Seiko) or overpriced everything (enter Omega and the like).  I like wearing something I'm very unlikely to see on anyone else's wrists.

• Like 1

:laughing2dw: you quoted me while i was editing , and for some reason i managed to add a bit as intended and delete a whole line by mistake :OyVey:

we shall agree to differ on seiko (not all bad), and really starting to agree about omega  , i dont get the Dan Henry stuff generally. had to look up Straton - wish i hadn't bothered - fuuuuugly.  but then i am not a chronograph fanboy - almost always way too cluttered of dial for me. 

be interested in your thoughts on the bezel and crown once the thing lands ...

• Like 1

It has a quality that I can't quite put my finger on, it's like it somehow found a strange sweet spot between looking completely different to anything else and not looking like it's trying to look different.

I'm sure we could search and find almost every unique detail of this watch represented elsewhere, making it comfortable and familiar and not feel gimmicky and like a "concept watch".

Whilst at the same time, the fact that each individual characteristic of this watch is on the less common or more unusual end means that it does end up appearing unique and different and pretty special.

There is a retro vibe to it that I love, and you kind of feel that the fella in the cream suit is also wearing a Panama and is just be waiting on a boatload of cocaine to arrive next to his yacht in the port of Monte Carlo, you just don't really know if he is there to seal a deal to take him to the big leagues or make a bust.

I loved it at first sight.

And yet it's grown on me since then.

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 1

Lots to like, good call!

I nearly pushed the button on one myself but decided it's maybe a little busy for my tastes and I already have a good few divers so fancied something a bit different to what I already have. 

Just to play along, this is my latest order...

Screenshot_20210526-163028_Samsung Internet

Edited by Jonesinamillion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

I like everything about it except the bracelet (not keen on either the mesh or the taper) - what is it by the way? :huh:

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/product/serica-5303-black-dial/

5 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Lots to like, good call nearly!

I nearly pushed the button on one myself but decided it's maybe a little busy for my tastes and I already have a good few divers so fancied something a bit different to what I already have. 

Just to play along, this is my latest order...

Screenshot_20210526-163028_Samsung Internet

Please disregard my comment about Rado's in the other thread! :laughing2dw:

(But I did mean these funny, funky little beasts, we all have things we like and thinks we just don't "get", and these are the latter for me. Hope it brings you much happy wrist time.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bricey said:

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/product/serica-5303-black-dial/

Please disregard my comment about Rado's in the other thread! :laughing2dw:

(But I did mean these funny, funky little beasts, we all have things we like and thinks we just don't "get", and these are the latter for me. Hope it brings you much happy wrist time.)

Variety is teh spice of life!

I'm yet to get my hands on it but have admired the diastar for some time, a new one is circa 800 quid but this is from my birth year (1978) and a fraction of the price, I couldn't turn it down!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Variety is teh spice of life!

I'm yet to get my hands on it but have admired the diastar for some time, a new one is circa 800 quid but this is from my birth year (1978) and a fraction of the price, I couldn't turn it down!

I was born in '77, and so I pulling superiority on this one! :laughing2dw:

There is, for me at least, something special about a birthday year watch, I'm sure it will hold a special place for you buddy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do like the hour and minute bezels, easy to use as an alternative GMT.

However, I spent a while trying to figure out what it was that disturbed me about it. Then I eventually realised it is the fact that the lume dots (blobs) indicating the hours are completely out of plane with the bâtons. When you add in the two at 12 o’clock, it gives the dial a slightly random and confusing look to my eyes. Sort of like join-the-dots in miniature. If you tried you’d probably get a picture of a wine flagon. 

So not for me, as it would mess with my head. However, overall it’s quite pleasant looking for a diver.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Something's there that I can't unsee and I don't want to say.

I hope it works out for you 

@JayDeep it looks like a top quality watch. 

A recent Omega had the same thing. It's also the reason why I can't buy a vintage Seiko quartz. 

:(

48 minutes ago, alxbly said:

A recent Omega had the same thing. It's also the reason why I can't buy a vintage Seiko quartz. 

:(

What are we talking about?

Is it the cock and bollocks at the 12?

15 minutes ago, Bricey said:

What are we talking about?

Is it the cock and bollocks at the 12?

I thought it was just me that seen it. I asked my wife and she said I need to grow up. 

Never! 

• Haha 2

I like it, the dial is unusual but the bezel is fantastic. 

Is this the watch the were discussing on TGN this week? I wasn't paying attention but I remember they mentioned a watch where you can choose the crown position. 

Edited by antjrice