• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This or that...

Okay, so you find the perfect watch, whatever that is to you. You can't believe how perfect it is in every way possible and from every angle, as far as you can tell from pictures and specs! Here's the rub, it's a from a brand new start up microbrand. There's no way to go try one on or handle it in the flesh. However the watches have already been manufactured and reviews from actual owners seem very favorable, not a single negative comment. The price is less than you would expect it to be, but not so much that it's one of those "too good to be true" kind of things. Just a, "what a great deal" type.

At the same time you've been eyeing another watch for a while now that really does tick all the right boxes. It looks great and all the stats seem right up your alley. It's from a long established brand that you know and trust. It doesn't quite have that same "wow" factor as the microbrand piece, but it's 100% something you like and are seriously interested in.

Which do you choose, or, if so inclined to do both, which do you choose first?

• Like 1

For me it depends on the budget, I have a limit for trying a punt on something less known and established that is lower than my limit for a more recognisable brand.

My collection could be split between "Keepers" the watches I know I'll have long term and "Punts" watches I buy without massive expectation to try and taste.

I'll buy much lower for the punts, because I'm hoping that if I try them and they are not for me, I can move them on without too much loss to try another punt. The keepers I'm prepared to go higher because I expect to keep them longer, wear them more and so accept that the value will likely drop more, although being a recognised brand can often help limit that.

Some of the punts end up becoming keepers, and a number of the Keepers have ended up not staying with me for as long as I'd anticipated, but that's part of the fun.

Bricey makes a good point about cost, but assuming the price is affordable (say less than £250) I would buy the microbrand watch, because there might not be a second chance. The larger brand watch will most likely be available in the future.

Currently, I wouldn't but either as I have six watches I can wear and that is too many already!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duncan U. said:

Bricey makes a good point about cost, but assuming the price is affordable (say less than £250) I would buy the microbrand watch, because there might not be a second chance. The larger brand watch will most likely be available in the future.

Currently, I wouldn't but either as I have six watches I can wear and that is too many already!

I think sub £250 I would agree and go for the micro rather than a £250 watch from a recognised brand, partly because a micro at that price is likely to be punching up in terms of spec, where as most decent brands would class it as their entry level model.

I do get very nervous looking at microbrands (particularly the little start up / kickstarer types) that have a price of £500+ or broaching into 3 figures, it just feels at that level it's safer to stick to tried and tested brands with their economies to scale.

That said, @JayDeep's Serica could buck that trend as I do think that it looks to be a special watch, I'm sure not everyone's taste, but it really appeals to me

I guess we should differentiate between a microbrand that is going to knock out 500+ identical watches and a microbrand that is making a handful of made to order custom watches, where you expect the formers quality might be lacking and the laters would (hopefully) be comparable to the very high end luxury brands.

2 hours ago, Bricey said:

I guess we should differentiate between a microbrand that is going to knock out 500+ identical watches and a microbrand that is making a handful of made to order custom watches, where you expect the formers quality might be lacking and the laters would (hopefully) be comparable to the very high end luxury brands.

Like I said, whatever perfect would mean to you.

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

Like I said, whatever perfect would mean to you.

I rarely get close to perfect, I tend to swim in a pond that goes from tat in the shallows to almost adequate in the deep. :laughing2dw:

And there is a hole in the pond liner that is called my (oversized) family!