• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I Designed a Watch, I Would Love Constructive Criticism!

Hello! My name is Marcus Ramsey, I've been working on my own watch design for the past few months. I would like to get peoples honest opinions, ideas, and feedback before I start the sampling process!

I'm also interested in what people prefer, a flat sapphire crystal or domed one? ceramic bezel or aluminum?

there are more photos on the website for anyone who is interested

www.vesperwatches.com

Here are some renders and specs.

tablet-header-2.png

Specs.png

pictures-2.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-3.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-4.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-6.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-5.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-7.png

A good looking design, but possibly without a unique selling point.  The divers watch market is saturated (get it!) and I don't see a lot in this that would stop me from buying a CW, Yema, Oris etc that are all similar.  What sort of price point are you considering?

Bravo on the 39mm BTW - that is good.  I would prefer a blue date wheel with a blue dial if you can - as I write this I am designing in my head a blue date wheel with superluminova, high contrast date numbers.  Easy to read and there is your USP!

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! 

the retail price I am aiming for is $495.

I was thinking my competitive advantage would be the STP movement might be a better option than the Miyota movements brands usually use at that price point. 

• Like 1

@WRENCH I know there are quite a few divers. But I've been sailing since I was small, and the brand is also inspired by James Bond, that's why I named it Vesper. It was an attempt to combine the two things that have had a big impact on my life. I wanted to design a watch that I would personally buy.  No "cutting out the middle man" BS. Just high quality beautiful watches at a fair price and unrivaled customer service. that's my goal! 

• Thanks 1

I'm a big fan and owner of divers and I think this is a fine design but I'm afraid to say as soon as I saw it, I instantly thought of this:

https://eu.aboutvintage.com/products/1926-atsea-steel-black-3

About Vintage are going heavy into the marketing currently. Granted this example is a quartz but most of their stable are autos with slightly more distinctive designs. 

I also thing Lorier have his this look and feel albeit with distinctive hands. 

What makes me jump into purchasing are unique aesthetics. 

My more recent affordable purchases are Baltic and the pastel Blue Richard LeGrand IV as they showed me things I hadn't seen before. 

@antjrice 

Thanks for your feedback! I really do appreciate it! 

the Baltic is about $600 USD on a rubber strap with a Miyota movement. Mine will be around $500 on a steel bracelet with a STP 1-11 swiss movement? Just curious that doesn't make my watch an attractive alternative to you?

if not that is totally fine just curious haha.

1 minute ago, Marcus Ramsey said:

@antjrice 

Thanks for your feedback! I really do appreciate it! 

the Baltic is about $600 USD on a rubber strap with a Miyota movement. Mine will be around $500 on a steel bracelet with a STP 1-11 swiss movement? Just curious that doesn't make my watch an attractive alternative to you?

if not that is totally fine just curious haha.

In Baltic's case, the design and execution has enough cache to overcome the movement. I also don't have an issue with Miyota's in affordable's anyway below £600

I'd say the same is also true of NTH for exactly the same reasons as above. 

I like it, it's clean, it's not a crowd stopper, as has been said one of a million, however, I like the curved (balloon) bezel some are putting out there.

Like this..

See the source image

But for me the show stopper would be a large (dual) date window.  I am so fed up of being disappointed in watches with miniscule date windows, I do appreciate what you are trying to achieve and marketed correctly you could well succeed.

Design is fine, not stand out, the movement isn't a winner at this price point. Myota and Seiko are perfectly acceptable, proven and reliable and for me, the watch is too small. You need to add a 42 or 43mm option as well.  

Nice watch and 39mm is a good size.

as others have said there isn’t a unique selling point for this Diver to out perform many others in the market.

for a micro brand watch if well made the price is fine, I like an automatic movement so a big thumbs up from me.

would I buy it, potentially but probably not. I don’t see me replacing my Tudor BB with it. However I have lots of vintage watches at lower price points and a well made understated dress watch, in automatic at that price point would certainly get my attention.

On 04/06/2021 at 10:31, Marcus Ramsey said:

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! 

the retail price I am aiming for is $495.

I was thinking my competitive advantage would be the STP movement might be a better option than the Miyota movements brands usually use at that price point. 

The STP movement is a fine one. At that price you are sure to win a lot of customers over the others aforementioned. I dislike the bracelet but that's it, everything else looks fantastic! Love the sizing, 45mm lug to lug is very difficult to find in the diver world.

On 04/06/2021 at 16:50, Marcus Ramsey said:

Hello! My name is Marcus Ramsey, I've been working on my own watch design for the past few months. I would like to get peoples honest opinions, ideas, and feedback before I start the sampling process!

I'm also interested in what people prefer, a flat sapphire crystal or domed one? ceramic bezel or aluminum?

there are more photos on the website for anyone who is interested

www.vesperwatches.com

Here are some renders and specs.

tablet-header-2.png

Specs.png

pictures-2.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-3.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-4.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-6.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-5.png

Instagram-Post-%E2%80%93-7.png

I like the profile of the watch a lot, it does remind me of Lorier, but I like them too.

Not a huge fan of the bracelet design, the links having those defined 'corners' in each bend is not something I'm keen on personally.

I like the dial, clean, clear and uncluttered. What is the back to be, solid or exhibition? If solid, something stamped or engraved?

Kudos to you, we can all offer opinions but in truth I guess many of us (certainly I) would dream of doing what you are doing, I wish you luck and success.