• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Paint removal

SolaVeritate

Question

Any tips on how to remove the paint from this..

large.20210605_001659.jpg.81393e07c9ae97e732433cc51067cacb.jpg

I'm not sure the type of paint used. It sits in recesses about 1/2mm deep. I'm also assuming its stainless steel.

I don't have paint stripper or nail varnish remover and TBH, If I buy a tin of "Amazo! Paint remover" it would probably be the same cost as buying a new plain bezel. 

If it messes up, I probably will buy a new bezel anyway.. so.. any crazy ideas? I was thinking of heat. 

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

I used acetone, which is nail varnish remover.  Lots of very cheap options on eBay or from Boots/Superdrug etc.

I'm thinking I can stretch to nail varnish remover, but I love finding alternative hands on solutions. Right now its sitting in a heated vinegar & salt solution. :crazy5vh:

Edit.. it didn't work. :whistle:

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Haha 1

Cosmetic nail varnish remover may not actually do the job - it is not pure acetone - and I am a bit surprised that acetone itself can remove the paint from a watch bezel; my own preference would be to use a decent paint stripper. Whatever solvent does the job, you will obviously need to be very careful not to scratch or damage the surface of the bezel; hopefully, the bezel is solid and not plated. 

• Thanks 1