• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Regulating - tips for moving the arm in REALLY small steps

aesmith

Question

Hi,

As the subject says, I'm wondering if there are any tips from the pros on how to make really small adjustments.  The photo shows what I'm working with, and as far as I can see the only option is to move (1) by pushing directly on the lever itself.  The problem that I'm facing is firstly it seems to take quite a push to make it move at all, and secondly I am really worried something will slip and ding the hairspring. With care I can use the tip of a screwdriver, lay it on top of the lever so I am pushing against the brass stud, the idea being that if it slips it is more likely to go up rather than down and into the hairspring.  However I'm finding the same thing each time, I press a little and nothing changes, press a little more and the lever visibly moves but it moves too far.   Any tips?

Thanks Tony S

siFFwS6.jpg

3 answers to this question

Cheers.  So I guess the answer from the professionals is "practice",  I did actually manage to improve the beat, somewhat to my surprise.  I've been using an Android app "Watch Accuracy Meter" to take spot checks before and after adjustment attempts. Initially it was showing a really clear double track, but a nudge on (2) reduced that a lot.  I miss I'd saved before and after screenshots.  As we are right now, the Android app says the watch is running 33 sec/day fast.  On my wrist over 24 hours it's gained 22 seconds.  The app isn't telling the full story, where that's different rates in different positions or whether watch runs slower when it's subject to movement I don't know.  But if that relationship between app and real life holds, I guess I should be aiming for around 10 or 12 second fast on the app, so it gains a little in real life.

• Like 1

I've had a few goes, I'm not sure I've made a lot of progress in the "really small step" aspect. The arm is quite firmly in place so needs a reasonable push to move it at all, then it tends to move a bit further than I really wanted.  However I found something that had been confusing me before, it actually takes the watch a lot longer to settle down than I thought, maybe as much as five minutes.  It seems the very action of pushing on the level causes the rate to slow, and it takes a while to recover, sometimes back to exactly the same rate as before.