• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Big week of incoming / SOTC

Caused in part by selling a few, in part by being a little restricted in being able to get up and about easily, a little by buying a new watch box and finally, a little by basically being a bit down (oh poor me, grow up and get on with it Bricey!) I've had a bit of a splurge over the weekend. Over the course of the coming week, I am expecting to receive (all pre-owned):

Dreyfuss & Co Seafarer Automatic

Invicta Pro-Diver 1953

Timex Aterbury

Victorinx Alliance (40mm this time!)

Orient Mako II (Pepsi)

Casio 56000

A silly little Saint Honore - Haussman Clasic (genta homage type quartz)

This will take my little collection back up to 24 watches, or 12 pairs of watches. 14 Automatics, 8 Quartz and two Manual.

12 will live on the two big upright 6 rotor winders, 12 in the two little 6 slot black boxes (2 of the auto's are no-date divers, so will drop in with the Quartz and Hand Wound).

As they arrive, I will share my thoughts, first impressions and photo's in this thread to keep it all in one place and not clog up the board with my rubbish and ramblings (any more than normal), once all delivered (and hopefully I receive the Eterna back from the shop after sending it back a full month ago) I can get some pictures of the whole gang together, before I decide to lob a few out and re-build again. :thumbsup:

Just remembered, I'm still awaiting Hermes sorting out their act to deliver my Transformers watch too. :laughing2dw:

I'd better get myself out of this funk otherwise I'll be getting into trouble.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

“12 pairs of watches” just because it’s 24/2, or do you buy them methodically as a pair?

look forward to the pics and reviews!

Loose pairings, 2 divers, 2 smart casual, 2 dress watches, 2 sports watches, etc....

I could probably move them around and pair them a dozen different ways to be fair.

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

... I've had a bit of a splurge over the weekend. Over the course of the coming week, I am expecting to receive (all pre-owned):

Woooahhh there! Steady on Bricey, pace yourself or you'll end up in a watch purchasing burnout. :laugh:

• Haha 1

I don't know how you do it! i've bought five this year and i've found it a bit of overload , i just don't seem to get the time to gel with the new watch properely and then a new one arrives and the previous goes away before i've really bonded with it , got the Longines on again today as it just hasn't had enough wrist time since joining the collection , same with the Junghans , been on for about three days in six month's

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, midnitemo said:

I don't know how you do it! i've bought five this year and i've found it a bit of overload , i just don't seem to get the time to gel with the new watch properely and then a new one arrives and the previous goes away before i've really bonded with it , got the Longines on again today as it just hasn't had enough wrist time since joining the collection , same with the Junghans , been on for about three days in six month's

I'm not defending it, it is clearly a bit daft, but.... a combination of constant pain from an old hip injury that needs surgery but is taking a while to get sorted and the various pain meds the doctor keeps trying to manage things, have reduced my sleep time and made the resulting longer days feel like they move very slowly, so regular swapping around of wristwear is a small but pleasant break in the day, little moments of happiness a break up the slog.

I also do think that some of the meds might be shortening my attention span, so again, plenty of variety is quite pleasing.

• Haha 2

First arrival....drum role......

20210608_143148.thumb.jpg.51e92216b184999806d1fde3bcbac93d.jpg

20210608_142219.thumb.jpg.67b850d5d63a06c741df6a03b59aabfe.jpg

20210608_142224.thumb.jpg.dee2665a2a89a43445d030d9d7700aba.jpg

And after switching in a new ag3....

20210608_144829.thumb.jpg.a78655f1d01f60f754af6a541a6edabd.jpg

Just enrolling to the Open University course on setting old two button digital watches.

But it is keeping time after the school run.

16231619955636772533895689980501.thumb.jpg.c0f0129fe5ad247d104f6d3fff5142f4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

Ha ha, brilliant, nice one mate! :laughing2dw:

His little hands are stuck (probably arthritis at his age) and I've not yet managed to set the time, but I do love the little fella and he has certainly brought a smile to my ugly mug this afternoon.

He looks great! I'm jealous, mine doesn't have a strap and the LCD doesn't work. It might just need a battery change but I could hear the plastic creek when I tried to open him up so I decided to quit whilst I was ahead and just leave him be. I think the prior owner of mine may have used superglue to help him stay together. I don't want chance it. 

273691052012201.jpg?type=webp&to=min&r=1

:biggrin:

• Like 2

On 08/06/2021 at 07:46, midnitemo said:

Some people are definitely on Stage Four of the Journey.

The Seven Ages of WIS

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Some people are definitely on Stage Four of the Journey.

The Seven Ages of WIS

That is brilliant, I've definately been through stages 1 & 2, and dependant upon the day of the week I have been in stages 3, 4 and 5 over the past year, but rather than 'progressing' on to further stages I seem to keep bouncing up and down between those 3 stages, I wonder if I might spend the rest of my days doing so (and am strangely sanguine that is/might be the case) :laughing2dw:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

That is brilliant, I've definately been through stages 1 & 2, and dependant upon the day of the week I have been in stages 3, 4 and 5 over the past year, but rather than 'progressing' on to further stages I seem to keep bouncing up and down between those 3 stages, I wonder if I might spend the rest of my days doing so (and am strangely sanguine that is/might be the case) :laughing2dw:

I think many people bounce around between stages 3-5. I did so for years. I somehow seem to have got past that and I’m now bouncing between 5 and 6, though heading quite determinedly towards 6.

Stage 7 for me would be three perfect (for me)Watches , one in each type , Dress,Sports and Daily wearer , but I don't expect to discard any along the way , i ponder my choices long and hard as i've previously had a hobby where I made some rash uninformed choices that were a nuisance and expensive to correct 

Right, back on to the initial point (although with a potential meader back into the stages of a collector thrown in for good measure), two arrivals with the postie this morning.

We start with the bargain bucket, unheard of Saint Honore Haussman Clasic, bought brand new from a company selling dozen of models from SH on Ebay, dispatched promptly (ordered Sunday posted Monday arrived Wednesday) and well packaged with more bubble wrap thanyou can shake a stick at.

Now this review is based on my initial thoughts on a watch that has cost me the grand total of £45 including delivery whilst brand new.

Step 1: Box and packaging

Well this is almost ridiculous, a solid white cardboard (not the flimsy cover you get with your average Rotary, much more in keeping with the outer box on my Omega) with drop down front and a little parcel section for the warranty and instructions houses a very smart and solid large sprung clip / magnet closured watch box (branded and stitched faux leather on a wooden box) that quite frankly would be quite at home housing a £500+ watch. I am still assuming that the watch is going to be a Tesco-tenner special because frankly the box is worth £45. The instructions are a fairly cheeply roduced little booklet covering all SH models currently available, but adequate, there is a small warranty T&C's booklet and an unmarked credit card style warranty card.

20210609_122200.thumb.jpg.ea312d9c43ff81bd524ab2ad00a29f13.jpg

Step 2: Watch appearance

Clearly this one takes its look from the Genta ideals, square patterned dial, integrated lugs joining the bracelet, but initial thoughts on the finish are positive, the whole watch is brushed and too a decent smooth standard, except for the polished element of the diagonal sides of the bezel, which does catch the light quite nicely and the crwon which adds a little alternate. Applied markers but printed brand name, unframed date window a 6 o'clock, but overall the level of finishing I would expect from a more recognised brand at a significantly higher price point.

20210609_122237.thumb.jpg.1caf2dec50110258b98647f4e72c291e.jpg20210609_122241.thumb.jpg.feae75833b5801032b3c6be913f08168.jpg

Step 3: Out of the box

Well it has more heft than expected, the back feels solid, there is no clicky-clacky rattles as the watch is handled. The leather strap tapers nicely to the deployment claspand has a nice soft finish on the inside for the wrist, but it is a bit stiff, which is to be expected I guess, but makes closing the deployment clasp (a pain at the best of times on leather straps in my opinion) quite awkward. I also need to punch an additional whole as the smallest setting is for a bgger boy than I.

I'm thinking I might consider investing in a different strap, buuuuuut, 23mm width strap with a 16mm lug width is going to be a bit challenging. :laughing2dw:

Whilst I do not expect that this is powered by anything that will make those that know about movement go "wow!", when setting the time it is responsive and smooth, not one of those that swings through 45 degrees the second you touch the crown, date also quick sets easily.

20210609_122130.thumb.jpg.4973be7233481667d39f3385eb65f354.jpg20210609_122115.thumb.jpg.d56bf4604b7c313c8e754a4d29335cc8.jpg

Final step: On to the wrist

Well, moving on from the awkwardness of closing the clasp and tucking in the strap, it wears very nice, it is a perfect size for me and sits nice on te wrist, it is relatively slim without feeling flimsy and in summary is the best £45 watch I have seen, if someone would have given me this watch to review having stuck stickers to hide the brand name and asked me to guess the brand and RRP, I'd probably have guessed at Tissot for £250.

The only other thing of note is a complete lack of lume, those dark squares on the outside of the hour markers look all set up to carry a spot of lume, but in the dark this watch is completely dark.

Overall, a very pleasant surprise for the money, I just need to spend a little time bending up that strap to my wrist to improve the comfort of wear and ease of putting on.

Now on to watch delivery number two for Tuesday, with that promised nod to the stages of watch collecting and my new found conundrum.......

20210609_122102.jpg

20210609_122029.jpg

20210609_122034.jpg

• Like 6

So today's second arrival was a simple Pepsi Dial Orient Mako II, but it came after I happened upon the advert on the classified's for this very board by my favourite uncle @it'salivejim for his (long admired by me) Magrette Moana Pacfici Waterman GMT.

Now clearly I shouldn't be buying anymore watches this week, but this is one that is firmly on my wish list and there it is available for sale, so I make the decision to buy the Magrette, and decide that it will be instead of the already ordered (but not at that point delivered) Mako II, to fill the slot in the winder beside my CW C65 as a vintage inspired auto diver. I am giddy with exceitment to get the Magrette.

So I open the Orient hoping to dislike it, or at least be unimpressed. I've looked at them so many times over the years and never bothered pulling the trigger because....they're cheap, so they are surely going to be a bit cheap?

What a big fat wallyhead I am, its beautiful, its solid, its stupidly comfortable, its a crazy amount of watch for the RRP let alone the piddly £90 inc. delivery I paid out for my nearly new (good as new imo) incarnation.

I appreciate that I am probably the only person on here that didn't already own or previously own an Orient, but good lord why are we not putting them at the very top of every post when newbie's/beginers ask what divers watch they should try, its sensational for the price point.

I reall am a massive plum.

20210609_132255.thumb.jpg.0f3d753ff8acbb895cd7dbed5ee8c564.jpg

20210609_131731.thumb.jpg.a2fd586123d1010b6c87db5f1831cf55.jpg

20210609_132145.thumb.jpg.00a89cd1d9d9902748d2981462199140.jpg

So, now I have to hope that one of the remaining purchases due in over the coming days mssively disappoints, and then try to find a way to rejig the pairings I had planned to incorporate both the Orient and the Magrette, I feel a little like Sir Alex must have felt when he had Sherignham, Yorke, Cole and Ole all vying for the two spots up front during the late 90's.

"It's a great problem for any manager to have though Alan"

I'm all tuckered out and going for a lay down.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Excellent pair of incoming watches mate, well played that man :notworthy:

Like most on here, I've never heard of Saint Honore, but that looks like it's punching well above it's weight to me, a great price for a lovely looking watch.  Orient is clearly a well known brand on here, and I've never seen a bad word written about them, so no surprise yours was a good one.  Even I had a couple a few years ago, a Mako and a Mako XL, although I quickly flipped them because... well... they're automatic and I just can't get on with the fannying about resetting the time and date whenever I wanted to wear them :laughing2dw:  Unsurprisingly, the Mako was a bit too small for my taste, but the XL was a beauty and I probably should have kept it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1