UK Watch Forum banner

Big week of incoming / SOTC

4K views 83 replies 27 participants last post by  JayDeep 
#1 ·
Caused in part by selling a few, in part by being a little restricted in being able to get up and about easily, a little by buying a new watch box and finally, a little by basically being a bit down (oh poor me, grow up and get on with it Bricey!) I've had a bit of a splurge over the weekend. Over the course of the coming week, I am expecting to receive (all pre-owned):

Dreyfuss & Co Seafarer Automatic

Invicta Pro-Diver 1953

Timex Aterbury

Victorinx Alliance (40mm this time!)

Orient Mako II (Pepsi)

Casio 56000

A silly little Saint Honore - Haussman Clasic (genta homage type quartz)

This will take my little collection back up to 24 watches, or 12 pairs of watches. 14 Automatics, 8 Quartz and two Manual.

12 will live on the two big upright 6 rotor winders, 12 in the two little 6 slot black boxes (2 of the auto's are no-date divers, so will drop in with the Quartz and Hand Wound).

As they arrive, I will share my thoughts, first impressions and photo's in this thread to keep it all in one place and not clog up the board with my rubbish and ramblings (any more than normal), once all delivered (and hopefully I receive the Eterna back from the shop after sending it back a full month ago) I can get some pictures of the whole gang together, before I decide to lob a few out and re-build again. :thumbsup:

Just remembered, I'm still awaiting Hermes sorting out their act to deliver my Transformers watch too. :laughing2dw:

I'd better get myself out of this funk otherwise I'll be getting into trouble.

See less See more
#4 ·
"12 pairs of watches" just because it's 24/2, or do you buy them methodically as a pair?

look forward to the pics and reviews!
Loose pairings, 2 divers, 2 smart casual, 2 dress watches, 2 sports watches, etc....

I could probably move them around and pair them a dozen different ways to be fair.

#9 ·
I don't know how you do it! i've bought five this year and i've found it a bit of overload , i just don't seem to get the time to gel with the new watch properely and then a new one arrives and the previous goes away before i've really bonded with it , got the Longines on again today as it just hasn't had enough wrist time since joining the collection , same with the Junghans , been on for about three days in six month's

#11 ·
I'm not defending it, it is clearly a bit daft, but.... a combination of constant pain from an old hip injury that needs surgery but is taking a while to get sorted and the various pain meds the doctor keeps trying to manage things, have reduced my sleep time and made the resulting longer days feel like they move very slowly, so regular swapping around of wristwear is a small but pleasant break in the day, little moments of happiness a break up the slog.

I also do think that some of the meds might be shortening my attention span, so again, plenty of variety is quite pleasing.

#14 ·
First arrival....drum role......

Watch Photograph Input device Black Peripheral

Computer keyboard Input device Toy Peripheral Office equipment

Peripheral Computer keyboard Input device Gadget Space bar

And after switching in a new ag3....

Watch Product Gadget Communication Device Clock

Just enrolling to the Open University course on setting old two button digital watches.

But it is keeping time after the school run.

Watch Tire Automotive tire Product Vehicle

Attachments

#16 ·
His little hands are stuck (probably arthritis at his age) and I've not yet managed to set the time, but I do love the little fella and he has certainly brought a smile to my ugly mug this afternoon.

#18 ·
He looks great! I'm jealous, mine doesn't have a strap and the LCD doesn't work. It might just need a battery change but I could hear the plastic creek when I tried to open him up so I decided to quit whilst I was ahead and just leave him be. I think the prior owner of mine may have used superglue to help him stay together. I don't want chance it.

273691052012201.jpg?type=webp&to=min&r=1

:biggrin:

#22 ·
Stage 7 for me would be three perfect (for me)Watches , one in each type , Dress,Sports and Daily wearer , but I don't expect to discard any along the way , i ponder my choices long and hard as i've previously had a hobby where I made some rash uninformed choices that were a nuisance and expensive to correct

#23 ·
Right, back on to the initial point (although with a potential meader back into the stages of a collector thrown in for good measure), two arrivals with the postie this morning.

We start with the bargain bucket, unheard of Saint Honore Haussman Clasic, bought brand new from a company selling dozen of models from SH on Ebay, dispatched promptly (ordered Sunday posted Monday arrived Wednesday) and well packaged with more bubble wrap thanyou can shake a stick at.

Now this review is based on my initial thoughts on a watch that has cost me the grand total of ÂŁ45 including delivery whilst brand new.

Step 1: Box and packaging

Well this is almost ridiculous, a solid white cardboard (not the flimsy cover you get with your average Rotary, much more in keeping with the outer box on my Omega) with drop down front and a little parcel section for the warranty and instructions houses a very smart and solid large sprung clip / magnet closured watch box (branded and stitched faux leather on a wooden box) that quite frankly would be quite at home housing a ÂŁ500+ watch. I am still assuming that the watch is going to be a Tesco-tenner special because frankly the box is worth ÂŁ45. The instructions are a fairly cheeply roduced little booklet covering all SH models currently available, but adequate, there is a small warranty T&C's booklet and an unmarked credit card style warranty card.

Product Automotive design Tread Table Handwriting

Step 2: Watch appearance

Clearly this one takes its look from the Genta ideals, square patterned dial, integrated lugs joining the bracelet, but initial thoughts on the finish are positive, the whole watch is brushed and too a decent smooth standard, except for the polished element of the diagonal sides of the bezel, which does catch the light quite nicely and the crwon which adds a little alternate. Applied markers but printed brand name, unframed date window a 6 o'clock, but overall the level of finishing I would expect from a more recognised brand at a significantly higher price point.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Grey
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

Step 3: Out of the box

Well it has more heft than expected, the back feels solid, there is no clicky-clacky rattles as the watch is handled. The leather strap tapers nicely to the deployment claspand has a nice soft finish on the inside for the wrist, but it is a bit stiff, which is to be expected I guess, but makes closing the deployment clasp (a pain at the best of times on leather straps in my opinion) quite awkward. I also need to punch an additional whole as the smallest setting is for a bgger boy than I.

I'm thinking I might consider investing in a different strap, buuuuuut, 23mm width strap with a 16mm lug width is going to be a bit challenging. :laughing2dw:

Whilst I do not expect that this is powered by anything that will make those that know about movement go "wow!", when setting the time it is responsive and smooth, not one of those that swings through 45 degrees the second you touch the crown, date also quick sets easily.

Watch Yellow Watch accessory Wedding ceremony supply Clock
Body jewelry Eye glass accessory Eyewear Jewellery Circle

Final step: On to the wrist

Well, moving on from the awkwardness of closing the clasp and tucking in the strap, it wears very nice, it is a perfect size for me and sits nice on te wrist, it is relatively slim without feeling flimsy and in summary is the best ÂŁ45 watch I have seen, if someone would have given me this watch to review having stuck stickers to hide the brand name and asked me to guess the brand and RRP, I'd probably have guessed at Tissot for ÂŁ250.

The only other thing of note is a complete lack of lume, those dark squares on the outside of the hour markers look all set up to carry a spot of lume, but in the dark this watch is completely dark.

Overall, a very pleasant surprise for the money, I just need to spend a little time bending up that strap to my wrist to improve the comfort of wear and ease of putting on.

Now on to watch delivery number two for Tuesday, with that promised nod to the stages of watch collecting and my new found conundrum.......

Watch Gesture Finger Watch accessory Gadget

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

Hand Watch Human body Wrist Jewellery

Attachments

#24 ·
So today's second arrival was a simple Pepsi Dial Orient Mako II, but it came after I happened upon the advert on the classified's for this very board by my favourite uncle @it'salivejim for his (long admired by me) Magrette Moana Pacfici Waterman GMT.

Now clearly I shouldn't be buying anymore watches this week, but this is one that is firmly on my wish list and there it is available for sale, so I make the decision to buy the Magrette, and decide that it will be instead of the already ordered (but not at that point delivered) Mako II, to fill the slot in the winder beside my CW C65 as a vintage inspired auto diver. I am giddy with exceitment to get the Magrette.

So I open the Orient hoping to dislike it, or at least be unimpressed. I've looked at them so many times over the years and never bothered pulling the trigger because....they're cheap, so they are surely going to be a bit cheap?

What a big fat wallyhead I am, its beautiful, its solid, its stupidly comfortable, its a crazy amount of watch for the RRP let alone the piddly ÂŁ90 inc. delivery I paid out for my nearly new (good as new imo) incarnation.

I appreciate that I am probably the only person on here that didn't already own or previously own an Orient, but good lord why are we not putting them at the very top of every post when newbie's/beginers ask what divers watch they should try, its sensational for the price point.

I reall am a massive plum.

Product Sleeve Font Material property Pattern

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Wrist

Watch Analog watch Blue Azure Clock

So, now I have to hope that one of the remaining purchases due in over the coming days mssively disappoints, and then try to find a way to rejig the pairings I had planned to incorporate both the Orient and the Magrette, I feel a little like Sir Alex must have felt when he had Sherignham, Yorke, Cole and Ole all vying for the two spots up front during the late 90's.

"It's a great problem for any manager to have though Alan"

I'm all tuckered out and going for a lay down.

Attachments

#25 ·
Excellent pair of incoming watches mate, well played that man :notworthy:

Like most on here, I've never heard of Saint Honore, but that looks like it's punching well above it's weight to me, a great price for a lovely looking watch. Orient is clearly a well known brand on here, and I've never seen a bad word written about them, so no surprise yours was a good one. Even I had a couple a few years ago, a Mako and a Mako XL, although I quickly flipped them because... well... they're automatic and I just can't get on with the fannying about resetting the time and date whenever I wanted to wear them :laughing2dw: Unsurprisingly, the Mako was a bit too small for my taste, but the XL was a beauty and I probably should have kept it.

#26 ·
Excellent pair of incoming watches mate, well played that man :notworthy:

Like most on here, I've never heard of Saint Honore, but that looks like it's punching well above it's weight to me, a great price for a lovely looking watch. Orient is clearly a well known brand on here, and I've never seen a bad word written about them, so no surprise yours was a good one. Even I had a couple a few years ago, a Mako and a Mako XL, although I quickly flipped them because... well... they're automatic and I just can't get on with the fannying about resetting the time and date whenever I wanted to wear them :laughing2dw: Unsurprisingly, the Mako was a bit too small for my taste, but the XL was a beauty and I probably should have kept it.
St Honore has the added bonus of also being a cake!

Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Cuisine

Attachments

#27 ·
(usual) excellent review of the first in your latest batch - I always fancied an Orient diver & wondered what you think of the bracelet on your Mako II? - Reviews I have read previously are normally less than complimentary about the stock bracelets, but as the watches themselves usually get showered with praise, I wonder if the reviews are being a bit picky, especially considering the price point for these watches? - Anyhoo, I'd be interested in your experience?

#28 ·
I felt a full bricey review on a watch that so many would have already spent far more time with than the first 30 minutes I had might be overkill, especially following the (now to be known as) French Cake Watch.

I'm quite surprised that the strap would attract critics, I'll accept that the pressed clasp looks and feels a little cheap and does mean that there is a degree of 'clickiness' to the watch when handled, but if worn snug with little play on the wrist (as I do with a bracelet) then this problem is erradicated, and it feels extremely comfortable and secure on the wrist.

The links feel solid, weighty and substantial, the finishing on the faces is brushed and seems smooth enough (we are talking a watch you can pick up knew below ÂŁ150) and a shiny polish on the sides to match the sides of the case. It folds up well, not having to sit 'in a circle' like some cheaper bracelets (I'm sure there is a proper term there that is escaping my drug addled mind).

Some photo's to try and illustrate my thoughts:

Watch Analog watch Clock Gas Jewellery

Watch Watch accessory Wood Wrist Font

Watch Material property Font Analog watch Watch accessory

Bag Eyewear Belt buckle Wood Luggage and bags

Watch Material property Font Analog watch Watch accessory

Hark! What is that I hear?

The doorbell?

Another delivery for me?

INCOMING.........

:laughing2dw:

Automotive tire Wood Auto part Automotive design Rim

Number three for today, Dreyfuss & Co Seafarer (DGB00160/32)

I previously had this pretty little dress watch in the quartz version (DGB00125/25, https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-dreyfuss-co-1890-watch-dgb00125-25.pdp ) and loved how it wore, the size and fit was perfect for me personally, the dial wasn't as dark as it appears in the link above, more champagne, and it looked really smart.

I was lucky enough to find the automatic version (https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-dreyfuss-co-1890-automatic-watch-dgb00160-32.pdp ) and ironically the dial is less silver than in the link, with a pale champagne hue, it had to be added to the collection.

First up, Dreyfuss know how to box a watch:

Gadget Office equipment Audio equipment Wood Publication
Rectangle Wood Font Writing implement Publication

The watch itself is the simplest of designs, my home boy @JayDeep will rightfully and understandably feel it is boredom on a strap, but I would remind everyone that I am an accountant, boredom is kind of a kink for me! You should see the level of organisation in my undercrackers draw!

Wood Handwriting Office supplies Rectangle Shipping box

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Material property

Previous owner had been wearing this on a nice brown leather strap with quick release pins, which I promptly used to replace the original butterfly clasped 7 peice bracelet with matching solid end links. The weight of this watch realy hits the sweet spot (note to self: I must replace the electric kitchen scales so I could accurately weigh it, by way of a guide for now, it weighs a little more than my mobile phone, but significantly less than my office chair). Again it is right in my lane for size.

Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Wrist

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Gesture Watch accessory

This should keep me ticking over until tomorrow, at least.

Attachments

#30 ·
Like the Dreyfuss (especially on the bracelet! - burn the heretic!) - Thanks for the update on the Orient, maybe it was a bit harsh of me to ask for your thoughts after 30 minutes of ownership! - But that's me in a nutshell, asking stupid questions without thinking them through first ...

Reactions: Bricey
#34 ·
I recall seeing Saint Honore watches at an independent jewellers in the early 2000's, and they certainly did not have ÂŁ45 price tags; they were probably closer to ÂŁ450.

Thank you for sharing, really enjoying the thread. The Saint Honore, Orient and Dreyfuss look like great buys. :thumbsup:

#35 ·
Just the one new addition through the post box this morning, the Timex Waterbury.

No this was cheap, really cheap, and so I was expecting little beyond it looking like a pretty little thing I could wear without any fear of accidential damage, which is exactly what I got.

Decent box...

Netbook Product Input device Black Peripheral

Fairly smart dial and case, nice size for me personally, but that bracelet is the cheapest thing you can imagine, hollow and clicky and just makes the whole thing feel really, really disposable.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Arm Clock Font

Watch Hand Water Input device Peripheral

Hand Finger Wrist Jewellery Strap

The only 18mm width strap I appear to have in my box is an elasticated Nato style I used to use on a CW C60 38mm, but even that elevates the feel of this watch by about 100%, and doesn't look too bad either imo.

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Clock

Going to order a brown leather strap to give it a different feel / look and see what I think then.

Just wondering if I might be lucky enough for a courier knock in the afternoon to increase today's haul....4 still en route.

Attachments

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apologies, much later than originally expected, Todays' two are opened and shared as follows:

Invicta 1953 Coke Bezel.

Nice quality box from Invicta, even if I'm not crazy about the appearance or colour, it is strudy and sound and a quality much above the watch's price point.

Output device Table Rectangle Wood Computer monitor

Inside along with the watch comes the usual tags, manual and cards (plural here, Warranty and Members club, I won't join becuase I have an issue with any club that would accept me as a member).

Rectangle Font Electric blue Plastic Fashion accessory

Now I had originally been quite excited about this one, I know what many think of Invicta, but I like the design on this one, the lack of the logo on the dial, and the Batman version has recently been shown on here and looked really good and came with a positive sounding review.

But then Tuesday's Orient Mako II turned up and and impressed me more than I expected, after @it'salivejim put his Magrette up for sale which meant that I was really needing a diver to disappoint, and I secretly hoped that the Invicta wouldn't let me down in, er, letting me down, if you know what I mean!?

Watch Analog watch Yellow Clock Rectangle

Well first impressions on look, its as smart and svette in the room as I had thought when it was still 'in the screen', so Thats good, or bad, or I'm not sure at this point, pleasant, it is smart and pleasant.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

A decent heft and good balance, again, much like the Mako II, the bracelet is better than the clasp, but it isn't the kind of cheap rubbish that came on the Timex either, it sits comfortably, solidly and firmly in place on the wrist and does so whilst looking damn fine imo.

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Gesture Finger Clock

Overall, I would find it very difficult to seperate it in terms of construction qualities from the Mako, I think of the two I lean towards the Invicta for appearance / style, and slightly towards the Mako because of the brand (not so much a long held admiration for Orient, more a long distrust or suspicion of Incvicta due to some of the truly aweful, ugly big lumps of bejazzle that they have put out over the years.

So all in all, I would find it very difficult to split this and the Orient, I think if I had to keep one and punt the other over the fence, I'd keep the Invicta......just.

Both have been surprisingly above expectations in almost every measurable aspect.

So I guess I need to not fall in love with the Magrette........

Oh.......look at that fancy inner box, with a zip no less......doh!......

Gadget Netbook Communication Device Rectangle Material property

....Lets take a peak inside....

Rectangle Luggage and bags Material property Sunglasses Eyewear

Oh man that's looking pretty!

Now my one concern with this is the size, 42mm is pushing my limits as far as the band camp girl pushed Jim's limits with a trumpet, anything over 44mm is just too big for me, and this is 42mm, but with those extra 'corners' is it going to wear like a really big 42mm?

Watch Analog watch Clock Gauge Measuring instrument

But man its a pretty looking watch.... lets give it a go on the arm.

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Material property

Well despite a full 50mm lug to lug, I think it wears rather well. The strap feels very good quality, soft, padded (but not overstuffed, so still malleable), I'm not a fan of the Large odd branded clasp that looks a little like a sea shell (some Moana reference I presume) but otherwise it sits very nicely on my wrist and feels very comfortable (despit ethe angle of the close up below making it look similar size to a dinner plate).

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

I like Brown leather on some watches, but the crisp clear glossy black dial and bezel look more suited to a black band to me, so I pop it on to a black elasticated NATO, and I feel it does look smarter and more modern.

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Wrist

If anything, it seems to further improve the fit and sizing for me.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

I love it.

So I now have what Cilla would have referred to as a "lorra, lorra divers" but do you know what, I don't care, they'll all get some extended tieme to impress and make their mark and I'll see where we are and if any have not made the grade when I notice that one doesn't seem to be getting a fair amount of selection from the box.

Life is about choices, and so its nice to have plenty of choices.

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

(promise to be more prompt next time, slight medical issue interrupted the afternoon).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.