UK Watch Forum banner

SOTC

994 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Thrudge 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm new here, so I thought I'd start by posting images of my modest collection.

My oldest watch is the heavily battered but much loved Seiko quartz chrono, don't know the model number. I've had it about 20 years. It's been scraped on rocks, scraped on desks (I wear my watches on the inside of the wrist, a habit I picked up from my dad as a child) dropped, bashed, abused and neglected. And it just doesn't die - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' :biggrin: It's one reason I've developed a great respect for Seiko.

Not in the pictures, because I don't have it to hand, is another Seiko. It's a quartz titanium dress watch. Nothing special, but it's OK.

The dress watch in the photos is the Seiko SDGM003, and my shoddy photography does it a complete injustice. It really is gorgeous. I think the bracelet, though very well made, is too clunky and 'engineery' in appearance for a dress watch, but the case, the dial, the hands and the indices are beautiful and, at the price, actually quite astonishing.

My scariest (i.e most expensive) acquisition is the Sinn U1 SE. I visited the Sinn shop in Frankfurt, pretty much intent on buying the standard U1. Tried it on and liked it, but when I tried on the SE I was surprised to find I preferred it. Went away and mulled it over for a few months (this was a BIG purchase for me) and settled on the SE. I have to say, despite its bulk and its weight, I do love it. It's built like a tank, but the precision of the engineering is a thing of wonder to me. Downsides? It's not a strap monster. I've yet to find any shade of brown strap that doesn't look wrong on it. Black works well, as do dark NATOs. And I think it might work well on a cream coloured strap.

Anyway, that will do for now :)

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Light Rectangle Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
nice.

i'll pm you a link to another forum where there are references to crystal numbers should you be interested in renovating the chrono a bit. am guessing its the Ti version so wouldn't bother with the case but its always nice to have a clear crystal. liking the strap btw. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
nice.

i'll pm you a link to another forum where there are references to crystal numbers should you be interested in renovating the chrono a bit. am guessing its the Ti version so wouldn't bother with the case but its always nice to have a clear crystal. liking the strap btw. :thumbsup:
100% agree with @Rotundus - Appreciate your history with the watch but I could not live with that! - Loving that Sinn too :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Always good to see a collection that's "starting out".

Where do you see it ending up?
It's a good question, but I'm afraid I don't have a good answer.

I've got a quartz Yema Marine Nationale turning up next month (wanted the mechanical, but funds are seriously tight). And I'm very much fancying the Bulova Lunar Pilot.

On the somewhat unrealistic side, I'd like a Tudor Pelagos and an Omega Aqua Terra.

And on the wildly unrealistic side (my beloved would shoot me on sight... :biggrin: ) my grail watch is the Omega Grey Side of the Moon, with which I am properly in love. I can't think of a single thing I don't like about that watch, it is - to me - perfect.

#13 ·
Welcome to this sometimes august, but frequently mad, forum. You are in the right place to deplete your bank balance quite drastically.

Thanks for sharing your collection -- I too like the Sinn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.