• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Beginners question

Hi , I’m starting to learn about watches but finding it daunting as to what I should purchase at first. I’ve found a Rotary men’s watch £30 . It’s the style of a Cartier , black strap & with Roman numerals. It’s in working order. Should I chance it??

Welcome MandyJ, you will get some great suggestions as to where to look but the most common thing you’ll hear is always “buy what you like and enjoy it”.

I’m a new boy myself and have found Colin, my little Seiko 5 to be a great bang for your buck watch.

36EE4FE3-1469-40B8-AF06-D5CB56FA0244.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, apm101 said:

I'd assume used at that price. Where are you buying from? 

It’s a private buyer . It’s used . Original price was £55. I got it down to £30  I’m try to put a photo on here to give you an idea

As already mentioned (and will be mentioned again I'm sure) the real 'value' to a watch is that it is something you like and wear (unless you're  "investing" crazy money in easily movable commodities for....reasons), so the only real hurdle to overcome in the decision to buy or not should be "do I like it, would I wear it?".

Some brands will potentially offer better quality than others, particularly at the bottom end of the market as you make your initial choices, Rotary are generally solid, same for brands such as Seiko, Pulsar, Citizen, Orient, Casio, and the like.

These are brands that do make some more costly watches under their respective banners, and have a long history.

Generally the second hand market for their more entry level or older models starts at a nice lower budget, whilst still usually getting a watch that is pretty well made and generally expected to be reliable, they also cover pretty much every style of watch you are likely to fancy trying out on your wrist.

The next tip would be a little like buying a second hand car, a nice tidy interior of a car doesn't guarantee the engine is tip top, but the general rule of an owner looking after the inside is more likely to get regular services holds true in my opinion (there will always be exceptions to this rule of course). So if the watch looks cosmetically cared for, maybe even coming with its original box or paperwork, I would feel more confident that the owner has taken greater care of the watch and its maintenance or repair during its time owned.

Everyone has their own take on watches, as many people like something light as they do something with a little heft, so no one should tell you what NOT to buy, but I do think that in the £20-£60 second hand market, you will get a much better watch from a major manufacturer than you will from the many fashion/small brand watches, most of them will just be very cheap little watches made miles away for pennies and given a shiny case and a silly name.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, and if I was to offer one final piece of advice, take and keep pictures of your watches, especially if you end up flipping them and swapping watches about over time as it is really nice to be able to look back at watches you've had and were fond of and also remember those that maybe didn't quite hit the spot for you, sort of a journal of your journey.

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

You can also pop into a jewelers shop and try on various watches, feel their quality, their diameter, their strap part to strap part size (lug to lug), their height from wrist to crystal.. this one's too big, too small, to high, too heavy.. oh just right

"what size is it?" "What style is it?" "Can you write it all down please?"

Thank you very much.. I'll think about it.. bye bye. 

Now you know what your first watch looks like.. you can do a search and also.. you can ask.. "can you guys help me find a (insert price, style, colour, size, movement type, strap type etc. etc.)

Plus it's a whirl around the jewelers feeling the difference in quality between less expensive and more expensive.. that never leaves you.

• Agree 1

One other pointer I just thought of as I noticed a Krug-Baumen watch that reminded me of a Haas & Cie watch I bought earlier in my collecting days.....

When you see a watch that you like the look of, where the brand name doesn't immediately jump out as recognisable (especially if it is made up of two names, British sounding or European) have a little Google first, and not just to read their own website and see that the "RRP" they "Sell" the watches for is hundreds of pounds, actually have a look to see if they have a Wikipedia page detailing their history and heritage, or any articles in the watch media about them, are there any high street or larger online companies stocking them?

You don't have to rule them out if you discover that they are some shoddy fly-by-night knocking out 20p watches from an industrial unit in China, I've got and have had plenty of tat that has still brought me a little enjoyment, but know what you are paying for.

£50 for a very shiny looking Claude Valentini or Gianni Sabatini is fine if you just like the look and know you are getting a cheap but 'pretty thing for your wrist', but don't expect the same quality you would get with £50 spent on a good condition pre-owned Rotary, Diesel, Fossil or Bulova, you're probably not even going to match the quality (at least of case and strap) or the fashion houses like Armani, Boss, Guess and Kenneth Cole.

Buy whatever you like, but price accordingly.

Edited by Bricey

I don't get it. I mean unless you're impoverished it's only $30 so why not, if you like it? Even if you end up hating it that's basically throw away money in the watch collecting world. If $30 is a lot to you then I say don't do it. Buy new only. I won't have a lot of suggestions for you, but if you can stretch your budget to double that then you'll start getting into some not so crappy stuff. I would look at the Casio Marlin watches if I were you. Also, on Cadisen. Use YouTube and look up the creator "just one more watch". They've done tons of bargain budget "best of" videos that could help you on your search.

There's only one watch I've paid that little for and I did it twice, a digital Casio. I have no taste for digital watches at all but wanted something cheap and reliable to have in the collection for sleep wear, camping, and for setting my mechanical watches to when I wear them. I've now given away both and gotten something a little less plasticy but also digital and also no taste for it. Lol

https://youtu.be/7UaDlWuJZkc

https://youtu.be/ql1LEr8_8iU

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I would look at the Casio Marlin watches

Just a hunch, and not judging or being all "gender assuming", but I am guessing that the poster might be female given their chosen moniker (as the husband of an Amanda, a very fine moniker indeed).

Given that (and at the risk of being all gender incorrect for a second time in as many sentences) a 44mm divers watch (however great vfm) might not be right at the very top of the desire pile.

On the plus side, if prepared to buy pre-owned, the necessary budget for a traditional woman's watch will stretch a lot further. Especially if prepared to look at vintage offerings.

Apologies to any genders impacted by this post.

I'm assuming (again) that "Cartier-like" means something like this rather than @AVO's big Tank:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203483604063?hash=item2f6091645f%3Ag%3AIFUAAOSwFOpf3Mh6&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384200206987?hash=item59741dea8b%3Ag%3A--kAAOSwY8FgIqTA&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133782409664?hash=item1f260d91c0%3Ag%3A0wkAAOSwmzlgoUjQ&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255008795987?hash=item3b5fb56d53%3Ag%3AAo8AAOSw7K9gaz9b&LH_Auction=1

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

Just a hunch, and not judging or being all "gender assuming", but I am guessing that the poster might be female given their chosen moniker (as the husband of an Amanda, a very fine moniker indeed).

Given that (and at the risk of being all gender incorrect for a second time in as many sentences) a 44mm divers watch (however great vfm) might not be right at the very top of the desire pile.

On the plus side, if prepared to buy pre-owned, the necessary budget for a traditional woman's watch will stretch a lot further. Especially if prepared to look at vintage offerings.

Apologies to any genders impacted by this post.

I'm assuming (again) that "Cartier-like" means something like this rather than @AVO's big Tank:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203483604063?hash=item2f6091645f%3Ag%3AIFUAAOSwFOpf3Mh6&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384200206987?hash=item59741dea8b%3Ag%3A--kAAOSwY8FgIqTA&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133782409664?hash=item1f260d91c0%3Ag%3A0wkAAOSwmzlgoUjQ&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255008795987?hash=item3b5fb56d53%3Ag%3AAo8AAOSw7K9gaz9b&LH_Auction=1

I never assume, some women love those gigantic watches also, it's a fashion thing. I just posted the same thing I would post no matter what. Could be a dog's name. Daughter... Who knows. Or like a Johnny Cash song, a boy named Mandy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

only $30

I do beg your pudding, but we are actually talking 30 Great British Pounds, worth at least an hundred greenbacks.

14 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

the necessary budget for a traditional woman's watch will stretch a lot further. Especially if prepared to look at vintage offerings.

bingo

• Haha 1