• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How much are you willing to spend?

Ignoring the 'what can be afforded in your life at the moment' replies of the other thread, I'm interested what people's hypothetical limit would be if money was not an concern?

If you were to win the euro millions lottery, or managed to sell your big app idea to Google for £100m, or your book idea became a best seller and then got a huge 7 part movie deal, what would be your limit for a watch then?

You have a 9 figure bank account and can feasibly buy anything in the world of watches without needing to give a seconds thought to the actual cost, does your budget mean you spend crazy money?

For me, I think (and kind of hope) that I would still have a limit of what I was prepared to spend on a watch, and I think it would be boringly low to some, I doubt I would be prepared to go above £10,000.

Would you have a limit? Would anyone seriously drop 6 figures for a Richard Mille? Or consider creeping into 7 figures for some rare and exotic auction piece?

Edited by Bricey
  • Agree 1

Factors that might put me off watches well over £10,000 would be:

1. A lot of extremely expensive watches are tasteless and vulgar (obviously there are exceptions!) and are often made to show off.

2. Recognisable super expensive watches are a magnet for muggers and can be dangerous to wear if you aren't surrounded by body guards.

• Agree 3

I think this would be split into two parts for me.

The first would be the thrill of the chase and doing a deal. I’d go for watches £100k-200k from the same vendor and would see just how much movement there would be on the price

The second would be to actually getting the piece on the wrist and enjoying the complications and details that you only notice close up.

A few manufacturers from the top of my head would be:

AP
Hublot
Jacob&Co
PP
RM

I’d also want the ultra high end models from Breguet, Omega, Tag Heuer etc. Mainly the tourbillon versions they only produce as showcase pieces.

Factors that might put me off watches well over £10,000 would be:
1. A lot of extremely expensive watches are tasteless and vulgar (obviously there are exceptions!) and are often made to show off.
2. Recognisable super expensive watches are a magnet for muggers and can be dangerous to wear if you aren't surrounded by body guards.

£10k-£50k buys you many conservative looking pieces. It’s the £100k mark where things go crazy!

1 hour ago, Duncan U. said:

You're right it doesn't make much sense!

I have bought thinner case backs to take advantage of the height difference, even a Vostok fan has to admit 15mm Amphibiias are rather thick. I did consider just removing the autowind components, but the slipping mainspring isn't satisfying to wind and 2409.01 movements are a straight swap and are only £20 from Meranom :thumbsup:

Sounds an enjoyable project. My manual wind version is indeed notably thinner than the autos, I do dislike the wobbly crown though, despite it being a part of Vostock 'character', it tries to screw itself back down if you try to wind with the watch on your wrist. 

As an aside, you may get your £20's back selling the surplus auto movements on fleabay.

In truth, I probably would not go much up-market from my current status.

The likes of RM, HYT, Christophe Claret, Jacob & Co and Hublot do very little for me on the taste front. And I'm not into complications beyond a date and moon phase. Basically, I'm a boring three-hander fellow.

Being suddenly rich would give me the advantage of being able to buy my better pieces new  --  but the frustrations of the hunt for something which should be beyond me, followed occasionally by the elation of success, are a very enjoyable part of this hobby.

So, what would I get?

--  Something from F P Journe, Lang & Heyne, De Bethune, Czapek for certain  --  and possibly have a flirt with Andreas Strehler.

--  Despite general feelings of apathy towards the "Trinity", I'd probably also get an 1159, simply because it is so good to see AP making attractive watches again.

--  I'd certainly have another hard look at ALS to see if I could finally find something to stir my soul (certainly wouldn't be a Zeitwerk)

--  I'm likely too old to survive the Roger Smith waiting list, but I might try.

• Like 1

Hypothetically if i had all the money in the world, i still wouldnt go above 50k and i still wouldnt pay above RRP. 

There are a couple of exceptions to that rule....for ultra limited pieces like the JLC Kingsman.

In my current state, my 'happy place' is between 2k and 5k but id stretch up to 6-7k for some really nice JLC or Glashutte pieces. 

• Like 1

I dont really differentiate between movements, its more watch brands where i set limits. 

i suppose though 

Quartz - 3K (because of the 9F in grand seiko)

Automatic or manual - up to 7K for brands like JLC or Glashutte. 

I tend to have levels within brands so for instance Longines up to 2K, Tudor 2K-3K, Omega or Grand Seiko 3K up to 5K, Glashutte or JLC 5K-7K....with Rolex somewhere in between. Anything above those limits, and im generally not comfortable associating brands with that price point.....i think for instance if im spending 5-7K on a watch then i would rather have JLC or Glashutte finishing and brand prowess over that of Omega or Rolex. 

20 hours ago, Darren 66 said:

my mother always taught me not to spend what I don't have.

A wise lady indeed :thumbsup:

Not keen on this merge  --  two completely different questions.

• Agree 1

I don't generally go for quartz , my preference is mechanical , i don't  differentiate between auto and manual , so the most expensive watch I am considering is 11k and the dearest quartz I own is my Bulova lunar pilot black special  edition with an rrp of £499 (but nobody pays anywhere near rrp)

How much would I spend given unlimited funds? Probably not as much as some might imagine. I would want a beautiful looking, beautifully made and finished watch with a superb movement that did the job really well in terms of precision and accuracy.

I am not interested in:

• Precious metals and jewels. I don't mind yellow gold, but I'm much happier with steel these days.
  • Too many complications. Keep it simple. Perhaps a date, or a chronograph or GMT for the right watch. I don't want one of these things that has 25 complications of which I wouldn't use 20 and wouldn't understand 10.
  • "Ars Gratia Artis". Some of the really high-end watches are an amazing tour-de-force ("because we CAN"), but a lot of them look hideous and often it takes some time to work our how to actually tell what time it is. 

I'll spend under £20k and have one of these.

1619634.png.scale.780.1275.png

Or I'll spend less than £10k on one of these:

950x950_1183-310-3_43_Watc.png

• Like 1

Now that have gone big with a 45 mm chrono and a 48 mm G shock I would like a Sea Dweller as before i'd thought one too big for my wrist

Or a Deep Sea

Money no object of course , not figuring in my regular plans though

Oh yeah and we can throw in the white gold yachtmaster while we're at it!

6 hours ago, Bricey said:

Ignoring the 'what can be afforded in your life at the moment' replies of the other thread, I'm interested what people's hypothetical limit would be if money was not an concern?

If you were to win the euro millions lottery, or managed to sell your big app idea to Google for £100m, or your book idea became a best seller and then got a huge 7 part movie deal, what would be your limit for a watch then?

You have a 9 figure bank account and can feasibly buy anything in the world of watches without needing to give a seconds thought to the actual cost, does your budget mean you spend crazy money?

For me, I think (and kind of hope) that I would still have a limit of what I was prepared to spend on a watch, and I think it would be boringly low to some, I doubt I would be prepared to go above £10,000.

Would you have a limit? Would anyone seriously drop 6 figures for a Richard Mille? Or consider creeping into 7 figures for some rare and exotic auction piece?

Oi! You pinched the thread you naughty horologist. :bash:

:crazy5vh:

1 minute ago, SolaVeritate said:

Oi! You pinched the thread you naughty horologist. :bash:

:crazy5vh:

I hadn't, I had made a thread all of my own.

The theft was thrust upon me, I'm a fence more than a thief.

• Haha 1

I would spend crazy money. Why would I worry about thefts or costs?

I'll have a couple of these for my daily beaters.. perhaps even one of each style for each day of the week.. oh.. im just being fussy.. give me the whole range, I just decided to collect them..

image.thumb.png.12d8bfb8ce9ad3bce1b995d83221040d.png

I'll also have one of these, just for Saturdays..

image.thumb.png.2fe5a6a106239183f7e28733df2d1d2f.png

And a couple of these in different colours for when I want to mix things up a bit..

image.thumb.png.fb6dd1a05ec221bd4aea18fa34f1b11c.png

Of course these would all be casual watches. 

When I really wanted to dress up.. I would wear one of these..

image.png.8562fd0704a165f50db795d0809bf697.png

Just to annoy people. 

• Haha 1

Patek Philippe Grand Master Chime Ref 6003A-010 last sold at auction for over $31 million, you would still need a bloody big lottery win, or you could slum it with Paul Newmans Rolex Daytona at a trifle over $17 million.

Personally I would like a Jaeger LeCoultre Squadra Reverso Chrono. I owned one once and only sold it when I found out a service was nearly £1000 :(