• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How much are you willing to spend?

You are both a bit rich for my budget, although my budget has grown a fair bit over recent years. I pretty much always buy pre-owned so my money is going a bit further (when I am fortunate and not getting my leg lifted).

Quartz - £200-300

Manual - £400-500

Automatic - £1200-1500

Although the vast majority of my collection in each catagory came in well below those top end levels (the exception to my rules, my birth year DateJust was a little over £3,000, but that is my one big splurge and the acheivement of a long obsession).

The average price I have paid for the 14 Auto's I have is £636 (so highly skewed by the DateJust). Second highest was £1,300, cheapest was £56.

My two manual's cost £120 & 160 respectively.

The average I have paid for the 8 quartz in my collection is £90.

So 24 watches, with an average price of £412 each (inc. delivery but excluding any odd's and sod's, extra straps, servicing, etc...)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Q - £150

A - £1000

M - £2000

Its all a bit various. As you can see, I would prefer a top of range manual over an automatic and I don't think I would pay much more than that for a quartz. 

I love that you put manual above automatic.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roarry said:

Q - $300

M- $30,,000

A- $100,000 +

They would have to be very special!

Interesting. Very large gap between the quartz and others.

1 hour ago, Iceblue said:

I think I can only base it on watches I have owned  

Quartz £1200

manual £300

automatic £3250

Hmm no love for the manual wind then?

First part is easy: there will be no more quartz. So, unless I reach the age where the government starts dishing out free skydiving and bungee jumping, and I decide I need a G-Shock, the answer is £0.

The second is more difficult. Why should I differentiate between manual and automatic? Autos might be slightly more convenient, but, in general, are less visually attractive.

In terms of budget, whether M or A, I have a self imposed guideline of not exceeding four figures. I have strayed a bit over that on a couple of occasions  --  for objects of extreme desire; both manuals.

Edited by yokel
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, yokel said:

First part is easy: there will be no more quartz. So, unless I reach the age where the government starts dishing out free skydiving and bungee jumping, and I decide I need a G-Shock, the answer is £0.

The second is more difficult. Why should I differentiate between manual and automatic? Autos might be slightly more convenient, but, in general, are less visually attractive.

In terms of budget, whether M or A, I have a self imposed guideline of not exceeding four figures. I have strayed a bit over that on a couple of occasions  --  for objects of extreme desire; both manuals.

Much of this is very similar to what I was going to write.  I haven’t bought a quartz watch for a long time and I don’t envisage buying another. 

As to automatic or manual wind, it depends entirely on the watch itself.  Again, I would have a slight preference for manual but it doesn’t matter all that much. 

Regarding the price, I could never be sure that I would put a ceiling on it, and equally I would be aware that at certain price levels I should start to feel uncomfortable.  I have on a couple of occasions come close to buying something only to stop myself in my tracks and consider whether I was really prepared to pay that kind of sum for that watch, or indeed any watch. 

That said, my habits have changed. A few years ago I used to spend a lot of time buying relatively cheap, mainly vintage, watches.  I was very much into quantity over quality, if truth be known. However, over the last five years or so I have averaged one purchase per year, and in one case I went for almost two years without buying a watch.  Going forward, I’m very happy with my collection, I need to sell a few rather than buy any more, and I think I’m only likely to be interested in superb watches from superb brands.  But I’ll keep my own counsel over price limits because you never know what might turn up. 

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely it depends on how deep your pockets are?  Mine are actually empty, so specific numbers are irrelevant - I don't have anything to spend.

And my pockets have never been full or deep enough to allow for 'if money were no object' thinking.

I just spend a lot of time with my nose pressed against the glass, window shopping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Interesting. Very large gap between the quartz and others.

Hmm no love for the manual wind then?

Very interested had a few vintage valjoux 7733 and loved them just preferred the 1970s stuff and was a lot cheaper to buy second hand 

• Like 1

£400 on a Quartz although a GS may break that at some point in the distant future.

For manual or auto, currently about £3.57 and a testicle because that would be the real cost but theoretically whatever I can afford to spend on a watch that I love. Very theoretically!

• Like 1

£500 that's all I have..............

However if I won the lottery (doubtful) then if money was not limited then who knows!

I have only ever, my entire life, had limited money and unfortunately my mother always taught me not to spend what I don't have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yokel said:

Autos might be slightly more convenient, but, in general, are less visually attractive.

In general I agree, but what about micro rotor autos? Those are the perfect blending of the two and visually stunning in every instance I've seen one.

7 hours ago, Davey P said:

Mine is easy:

Quartz - £200

Manual - N/A

Automatic - N/A

:laughing2dw:

So predictable Davey! Lol

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

In general I agree, but what about micro rotor autos? Those are the perfect blending of the two and visually stunning in every instance I've seen one.

You are, Sir, absolutely right  --  but that leaves you with a comparatively limited choice of watches. GO Kaliber (see what I did there?) 90 is drop dead gorgeous for an auto, and I like the MG Hamatik system a lot. Unfortunately, I'm not struck by the GO moon phase implementation, and, for the MG, whilst I appreciate the marvelous skill involved with hand producing hands only 0.1mm wide, at my age I need legibility.

1 hour ago, Darren 66 said:

my mother always taught me not to spend what I don't have.

A wise lady indeed :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Auto manual or quartz dosnt really make a difference for me personally, jpurely ust as an example i could quite happily spend £500 on any of the three, its the look of a watch that initially attracts me to it anyway, and tbh £500 should get you a decent watch irrespective of auto manual or quartz. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Duncan U. said:

I've recently decided I prefer manual over automatic and I can't see myself buying another quartz. So I have just spent £60 on handwinding movements to convert my Vostok automatics to manual.

I did not know that could be done.

• Like 1

For me auto/manual are budget dependent - right now, realistically no more than 1,500-2k but if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would be happy spending much more.

Quartz though, I think even if I had millionaire money, I wouldn’t spend over a certain amount. C.350 unless some sort of high precision quartz where I might be willing to go up to around 750-1000 if I loved it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan U. said:

I've recently decided I prefer manual over automatic and I can't see myself buying another quartz. So I have just spent £60 on handwinding movements to convert my Vostok automatics to manual.

:hmmm9uh: but wait.. That just doesn't make any sense.

Apart from the benefit of enjoying the function of manually winding a watch (which you can still do with Boctok's).. it seems like it creates more problems than it solves. 

Manual wind watches are generally thinner than their equivalent autos. You may as well just remove the rotor and create your own manual wind without all the fuss about case depth size and hands removal/crown placement.

4 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

:hmmm9uh: but wait.. That just doesn't make any sense.

Apart from the benefit of enjoying the function of manually winding a watch (which you can still do with Boctok's).. it seems like it creates more problems than it solves. 

Manual wind watches are generally thinner than their equivalent autos. You may as well just remove the rotor and create your own manual wind without all the fuss about case depth size and hands removal/crown placement.

You're right it doesn't make much sense!

I have bought thinner case backs to take advantage of the height difference, even a Vostok fan has to admit 15mm Amphibiias are rather thick. I did consider just removing the autowind components, but the slipping mainspring isn't satisfying to wind and 2409.01 movements are a straight swap and are only £20 from Meranom :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1