• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The Reptile is alive & well

As some forum members may know I've owned this car for a number of years - I'll have owned it 13 years this year which is by far the longest I've owned any car. It's been off the road for 3 or 4 of those years whilst I fitted a new engine (1800 zetec to replace the original 1600 cvh) & uprated the suspension & brakes. I've never really considered the car finished though & this year I've fitted new alloys (it's one of the few cars that 3 spoke alloys look good on I think), new tyres & a new custom made stainless steel exhaust manifold (sounds good & looks so much better than the cast iron one I'd fitted before). For fairly obvious reasons the car didn't get used much last year & I only did 200 miles in it (I'm surprised I did that many). Anyway today was MOT day & I'm happy to say the car passed. Happy days & I'll probably be adding to the mileage tomorrow :biggrin: :notworthy:

20210408_183010.jpg

20210408_183022.jpg

20210408_183030.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Biker said:

forgive my ignorance, is that a kit?

Considering the "build quality" it may as well be a kit car, but no it's actually a production car (a Reliant Scimitar SS1). Reliant - they of Del boys 3 wheeler fame - built just over 1500 of them at their factory in Tamworth, Staffordshire. They came in various flavours most with Ford cvh engines (1300, 1400 & 1600) but some were fitted with the 1800cc Nissan turbo engine (from the Nissan Silvia turbo). These are called the Reliant 1800ti which makes them a pretty quick car even by todays standards. Owners have modified them even further & some now have big power 300+bhp in some cases which must be mental in such a small light car! Later versions were restyled & look a heck of a lot better with some having Rover K series engines. Handling on all versions is excellent with a surprisingly comfortable ride & very direct steering :laugh:  

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1

I remember the other Scimitars, I think they had 3.0l Ford v6 lumps in them, in fact I saw one a few weeks back in Helensburgh.  Never seen that version though

Posted (edited)

They're not common, though there is another one not far from me. I've never talked to the owner but I've seen it out & about a couple of times. Randomly it's looked after by the same garage that MOT's mine. Funnily, whilst my wife was in my SS1 we saw the other one & she asked what that funny looking car was?!?!:laugh:

The Scimitar GTE's were much more successful (Princess Anne owned a couple I think) & are more common. They were/are powered by Ford V6's - the 3 litre Essex & the 2.8 litre Cologne. However owners have started to modify these & have fitted various alternative engines over the years - everything from turbo diesels to whopping great V8's.A conversion that's becoming popular is fitting the V6 from the Vauxhall Omega leading to the car's being known as Scimega's. Not sure how much oomph the Vauxhall engine makes but it's a lot more than the Ford engines do :biggrin: 

Edited by pauluspaolo

Thanks all :thumbs_up: I've driven to work in the car today just to celebrate its MOT pass. Even the temperature gauge worked on the journey in, which is a rarity as it's very intermittent/temperamental & just to prove that it threw it's dummy out of the pram on the way home & didn't work at all (not even a hint of movement :huh:) Otherwise all was OK & the car continues to be fun to drive with very direct steering & excellent handling :thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1