UK Watch Forum banner

Ranks & Achievements

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JoT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A new rank and achievement system has been implemented.

Moods have been removed.

#7 ·
Due to us recounting all the points all the badges and achievements, that you would have received over the years, will be added the first time you login after yesterdays update.
These will be shown as received before June 2021.

It will settle down after these have all been issued.

#10 ·
Roy, other forums are still compatible with Tapatalk. Please see what you can do to make this compatible with it.
Our software here has been updated, other forums have probably have not. Also other forums may only use the free inferior forum software which do not have the features that we do.

Tapatalk has not updated their software so there is nothing I can do, sorry.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've noticed that I am starting to get notifications now when someone reacts to a post I made. This seems to be fairly new, and I wondered if it was part of the recent revamp/upgrade? If so, is it possible to control them? I find it useful to have a notification when someone mentions me or quotes me, but I'm not sure I'm that keen on it for straightforward likes and reactions.

Edit: no problem - I went into my profile and found out how to switch the reaction notifications off.

#12 ·
I've noticed that I am starting to get notifications now when someone reacts to a post I made. This seems to be fairly new, and I wondered if it was part of the recent revamp/upgrade? If so, is it possible to control them? I find it useful to have a notification when someone mentions me or quotes me, but I'm not sure I'm that keen on it for straightforward likes and reactions.

Edit: no problem - I went into my profile and found out how to switch the reaction notifications off.
With the update all notifications were reset to default.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
The old rank system was based solely on numbers of posts, it benefitted members who posted a lot but didn't take into account the quality of the posts, so a one word post or a "I like that" post registered a point which went towards the ranking; the old ranking system was quantity over quality only. It is also worth pointing out that the forum software is not intelligent enough to determine quality without some help from members and it is this that Roy has tried to address with the new ranking system within the limitations of the forum software.

Ranks and Achievement levels are determined by points awarded on a sliding scale with a new topic ranking highest, followed by receiving reactions with a "Thanks" ranking highest followed by "Like" "+1" and a reply to a post. In this way it was thought that quality not necessarily quantity would be rewarded as members would use the reaction symbols and reply for good topics and posts and would be less inclined to do so for poor posts or topics. Note the ranking points are currently not visible and aren't the same as reputation points which are calculated solely from reactions to posts so don't confuse the two.

Roy also thought an additional Oracle ranking was justified as there are some members who have been around since the forum started in 2003 who had amassed large ranking points totals. Some Moderators are also awarded Oracle by default, in my case I have been on the forum since 2003 and been a moderator for much of that time. Some sub-forums are excluded from the ranking points, Games for example.

Roy is still trying to finesse the new software which is quite complex and there may be further tweaks. he is disappointed that what he saw as a better way of awarding ranks and adding achievement badges has irked someone so much they leave the forum, they are, when all said and done, only a bit of fun. Roy is also trying to find a way of adding rank points not just rank levels on profiles, so then you would have number of posts, reputation (calculated from reactions) and ranking points calculated from reactions, topics started and posts made.

Final word from me on this is, as I mentioned above, the software is not intelligent enough to judge quality of contributions without help nor is it able to judge if people are "cheating". There is nothing underhand by Roy, unless of course people regard moderators as being Oracle by default as being underhand, and a genuine attempt has been made to make quality not just quantity a factor in rankings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.