UK Watch Forum banner

Muhle Glashutte

2K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  WRENCH 
#1 ·
I have decided that I want to get a simple yet quality watch with an uncluttered face either white dial, green dial or blue dial. Not a dress watch more of a tool/diver/fliger type and I like the look of a couple of Muhle Glashutte's offerings especially this……

can I get some opinions on muhle as a brand/quality etc

mgl-177-muhle-glashutte-watch-panova-gre

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no direct experience of Mühle, except for having fondled a couple in ADs.

What I can tell you though is that the manufacturers in Glashütte (Lange, Grossmann, GO, Tutima, Nomos, Union, Wempe and Mühle) are all situated within a few hundred metres of each other -- and they share a watchmaker's school.

I have visited twice, and been shown round GO and Grossmann -- and have been very positively impressed with the levels of quality in design and manufacturing, and the customer service.

Mühle is at the lower end of the Glashütte price spectrum -- using IIRC bought in movements -- but I'd be surprised if they didn't share the Glashütte ethos. [I have seven watches from the place!].

HTH

Reactions: bdalg1
#10 ·
Totally get the boring thing but I think that is what appeals bizarrely!! So tell me what to get for 1k that is sort of classic but not too boring? I really like your suggestions usually!!

If you get the one in the pic would you try get it on anothe strap, not saying the strap per see is bad but those metal keepers look horrible.
Yeah the strap doesn't appeal really - more the dial

#12 ·
17000085_1.jpg?impolicy=zoom

@bdalg1 I owned a Muhle Glashutte SAR about 12 or so years ago, couldn't fault the quality

As for Jay's comments about them being boring, take it with a pinch of salt, after all he likes Jack Mason watches :laugh:
Well, I like the photos online, the quality is very subpar to be undeservingly polite about it. But then they do only cost $200 or so.

Totally get the boring thing but I think that is what appeals bizarrely!! So tell me what to get for 1k that is sort of classic but not too boring? I really like your suggestions usually!!

Yeah the strap doesn't appeal really - more the dial
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in regards of style. The Muhle is more dress than sport, otherwise I'd say Bulova Oceanographer. It's a vintage branded homage, green dial variant offered, can be dressed up or down but will not fit under a sleeve cuff. It's got a very Doxa-like vibe, awesome lug to lug considering the diameter and really just looks to die for!

View attachment 29338 View attachment 29339 View attachment 29340

If you want green that can be dressed up a bit more please go look at Certina! DS-1 big date (minus that stupid and hideous mesh bracelet) or slightly more sporty the DS action.

Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Product

Measuring instrument Font Electric blue Circle Metal

Watch Analog watch Light Product Clock

Watch Photograph Plant Analog watch Wood

What about a classic brand! Hamilton!!! Pan Europe! To die for.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Font

Attachments

#14 ·
The Orient is very nice. I highly advise stay away from the Seiko. The green is black unless you get just the right amount of lighting.

I honestly could keep going...

K.Gruen & Sohne, comes in a nice GMT as well. And the lovely fumed dial Tsao Baltimore, comes in a very grateful bronze option as well!

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Material property

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Attachments

#15 ·
And finally a not exactly like what you posted but similar to me recommendation...

You want simple but not completely boring.. Mondaine! History behind it is awesome! Automatic or quartz, classic but original, color to it, vibrance... I've seriously considered one myself and they're only half what you're looking at.

#16 ·
It's amazing how quickly an elegant and clean design gets labelled as "boring", and how equally quickly alternative suggestions get round to "sub homages" (for me, the very epitome of "boring" and "follow the herd" :russian_roulette: ).

Buy what you like @bdalg1 !

I do agree though that I would change the strap on the Mühle :eek:oops:

Reactions: JoT, AVO and WRENCH
#23 ·
#24 ·
Damn this forum - wouldn't have really considered one of these as they are too new for birth year watches really.

M29 incoming (black dial), and a GO Senator calendar in the same parcel (along with a vintage Breitling and Longines to help balance out the website!).

That'll be 52 watches bought in the past 7 days, so I had better back off a bit!

Reactions: yokel
#25 ·
52 watches bought in the past 7 days
Scott, you old show-off -- assuming all 52 cost on average what you must have paid for the ones you mention, I hope you send your bank manager a nice Christmas card :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.