Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Another lathe project


Recommended Posts

I've made this today - my first pen :) It still needs a bit of tidying still & could do with a with some sort of cap. I'm going to try & make this tomorrow - not sure what to make it out of though but maybe some black nylon (to match the ring) or from aluminium for lightness/contrast. The body of the pen is 12mm brass bar drilled out 6.5mm to take the parker refill & 2.5mm for the actual nib part (the bit you actually write with). The black ring is nylon & there for a bit of contrast/decoration & to hide the join between the two body parts.

The pocket clip isn't really big enough but was the only one I could find. I bought this one from America (via Ebay), does anyone know a source of these that's closer to home?

At 12mm thick it's quite a chunky thing but it's comfortable to hold & to write with :thumbsup:

20210611_182124.jpg

20210611_182053.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Made a cap for the pen today out of a bit of copper I found in my bits box. Turned out quite well I think & finally a bit of success with copper turning ad most of my other attempts have ended in failure. Copper seems to need lubrication to be successfully drilled/turned. When drilling it helps to use a centre & to go up incrementally in sizes (from 6mm to 8mm to 9mm etc until the required size - in this case 12mm - is reached. It also helps if the drill bits you're using are sharp (ask me how I know this!). When turning in the lathe take small/fine cuts only, use lubrication (I used 3-in-1 oil but some people use milk!) & quite a high speed. I polished it with very fine emery (not sure what grit but fine) & liquid metal polish (brasso).

Must admit I'm quite chuffed with the result & can't wait to using the pen & for it start tarnishing up a bit :thumbs_up:

20210612_205311.jpg

20210612_205252.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the grammar in the above post :( it's too late to edit the original post now but here's what it should say:

I made a cap for the pen today out of a bit of copper bar I found in my bits box. It's turned out quite well I think & I've finally had a bit of success with copper turning, most of my other attempts have ended in failure. Copper seems to need lubrication to be successfully drilled/turned, I used 3-in1 oil but some people have used milk!! When drilling it helps to use a centre drill & to then go up incrementally in drill sizes; from 6mm to 8mm to 9mm etc until the required size - in this case 12mm - is reached. It also helps if the drill bits you're using are sharp (ask me how I know this!). When turning in the lathe (certainly if you're using a mini-lathe) then only small/fine cuts should be made with lubrication (3-in-1 again) & at quite a high speed, considering that there's no rpm readout on my lathe this can be tricky! I polished the cap with very fine emery (not sure what grit but fine) & liquid metal polish (brasso).

Must admit I'm quite chuffed with the result & can't wait to using the pen & for it start tarnishing up a bit :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Sorry for the grammar in the above post :( it's too late to edit the original post now but here's what it should say:

I made a cap for the pen today out of a bit of copper bar I found in my bits box. It's turned out quite well I think & I've finally had a bit of success with copper turning, most of my other attempts have ended in failure. Copper seems to need lubrication to be successfully drilled/turned, I used 3-in1 oil but some people have used milk!! When drilling it helps to use a centre drill & to then go up incrementally in drill sizes; from 6mm to 8mm to 9mm etc until the required size - in this case 12mm - is reached. It also helps if the drill bits you're using are sharp (ask me how I know this!). When turning in the lathe (certainly if you're using a mini-lathe) then only small/fine cuts should be made with lubrication (3-in-1 again) & at quite a high speed, considering that there's no rpm readout on my lathe this can be tricky! I polished the cap with very fine emery (not sure what grit but fine) & liquid metal polish (brasso).

Must admit I'm quite chuffed with the result & can't wait to using the pen & for it start tarnishing up a bit :) 

 

It's not milk, it's soluble oil. Used in machine shops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

It's not milk, it's soluble oil. Used in machine shops.

Fair enough - I'm just going by what I've read on t'internet & from what I've been told by those with more experience at metalwork/machining than me .....which is just about everyone! :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Fair enough - I'm just going by what I've read on t'internet & from what I've been told by those with more experience at metalwork/machining than me .....which is just about everyone! :laugh:

Poke your nose in to a local machine shop and see if you can scrounge some. As@Alpha550t says, it's soluble oil (emulsified). Water dissipates heat better than oil. The same stuff is good for injecting into the inlet manifold on old diesels to make them go better. :laughing2dw:

image.png.f5b3282d8a7313ef12c96dc68a3c213b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

Fair enough - I'm just going by what I've read on t'internet & from what I've been told by those with more experience at metalwork/machining than me .....which is just about everyone! :laugh:

If you can't get any soluble oil locally, message your details and I'll send you a couple of litres, enough to last you months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Alpha550t said:

If you can't get any soluble oil locally, message your details and I'll send you a couple of litres, enough to last you months.

Thanks for the offer Alpha - much appreciated :thumbs_up: & I'll be in touch if I can't find any locally. I haven't really used & don't know of any local engineering firms, & I don't like asking for freebies from people I don't know/haven't dealt with before, so I probably won't be following Wrench's suggestion (sorry but it just seems too cheeky/rude to me)! The only places I can think of that might stock it are B&Q, Screwfix & Machine Mart - not too hopeful about any of them really but I'll let you know how I get on :biggrin:

I'm also going to the maintenance department at work a try as they used to have a lathe, & have all sorts of store rooms around campus, so may have some stashed away somewhere :)  

Edited by pauluspaolo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Thanks for the offer Alpha - much appreciated :thumbs_up: & I'll be in touch if I can't find any locally. I haven't really used & don't know of any local engineering firms, & I don't like asking for freebies from people I don't know/haven't dealt with before, so I probably won't be following Wrench's suggestion (sorry but it just seems too cheeky/rude to me)! The only places I can think of that might stock it are B&Q, Screwfix & Machine Mart - not too hopeful about any of them really but I'll let you know how I get on :biggrin:

I'm also going to the maintenance department at work a try as they used to have a lathe, & have all sorts of store rooms around campus, so may have some stashed away somewhere :)  

Ok. Let me know. I've got about 50 gallons at work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...