• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

In 30 years time..

Easy peasy.. 

Post a picture / name a watch..

.. not that investment watch,  not the one that will double/triple its worth etc. but that cool one, the one that future collectors can show off and people will say "wow".. the one you think will be most desirable to have..

..from all the NEW watches available..

.. in 30 years time.

Heres my guess..

image.thumb.png.35edb6d045f3d6a73a952c2dff0d59e4.png

I think @Jet Jetski has hit the nail right on the head with his.

Don't get me wrong, its not the type of watch I would pick for myself (I don't particularly like watches with large bezels) but I think this one will be on collectors hitlists in 30 years time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I am going to be a bit bah humbug here because I don't think watches will look much different, microbrands will still be turning them out, big names will still be producing updated watches inspired by their back catalogues and I will be in my mid-90's still wearing my Sea Dweller, moaning about modern Rolex watches and telling people what good value Vostoks are :naughty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Go back 30 years and see how inspirational things have been. Hmmm. :hmmm9uh:

Do you believe there are no iconic watches from the 90s?

Hindsight is an easy thing. I'm just wondering how good we are as a group about guessing which modern watches will be seen as iconic in 30 years time.

Edited by SolaVeritate

3 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Of course there are, but many of the "iconic" watches of today are close interpretations of them. Mainly by Switzerland's two most "desired" brands. What I want is a 2021 Ford Cortina 2000 GXL. I'll bet if Ford did a "Rolex" and made a limited pre order run of them, there would be a waiting list a mile long. Nostalgia sells.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Omega co-Axial (George Daniels) 2500.

Tissot T-Touch.

Seiko Spring Drive.

ALS Lange1

IWC Dopplechrono.

AP Royal Oak.

’G’ Shock

Etc....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Submariner, Whatever James Bond is wearing, Apple watch......

Trouble is a lot of the really influential watch designs were shaped by the requirements of specific jobs - aviator, diver, motorsport, military or whatever and nowadays that functional need is often no longer there so it's all about refining those existing but largely redundant designs or going for looks, fashion, or "statement pieces".

Sadly while a high end watch will probably be of interest in 30 years time just because of the intrinsic quality I reckon if there's something that most people will see and think "Cool - retro - that really captures the look of that era...." and wear with period costume to events with their lovingly restored last of the petrol cars...

style-blogs-the-gq-eye-Daniel-Wellingtonor  more likelyFitbit-Inspire-HR-Review.jpg

Edited by Perlative Cernometer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I think some of the slightly higher end microbrands, particularly those that have a distinct look or flavour (like Farer and Marloe) might be collectors pieces; either as early examples of a now (then) established brand, or as rare collectibles from a brand that came, made their mark and then disappeared.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

"Trouble is a lot of the really influential watch designs were shaped by the requirements of specific jobs.."

I think you could have hit the nail on the head.

image.thumb.png.57cbe54da5fc761474596b477a601c3f.png

For the individual user, these have the requirements of a specific job. Not this actual watch but ones similar.. and not apple/android in particular either, because they link direct to the phone which may be defunct by then. Health/fitness watches. I'm sure in 30 years time they will have figured out how to power them by kinetic movement and these "old" ones will be collectable as "fine examples of.. blah blah blah" 

Shame really, because they kinda suck.

• Like 1

Most of the big brands are putting out derivative designs so I'm hoping it's the output from smaller brands that are well remembered in 30 years:

- Schofield Signalman

- Habring² Foudroyante

- Alexander Shorokhoff Levels or AG

- Bremont Hercules 

Of the less original type I think the Halios Seaforth and CW super Comoressors are major standouts.

From the bigger brands, I'd struggle to guess but ones that standout for me include the Rado Captain Cook, TH Carrera green dial, Omega Speedy 60th, Zenith Chrono Revival & Nomos Metro Gangreserve. Of those, the Nomos has a particularly good chance because it was their first release with a  'true' in house movement iirc.

I reckon it will be the ones that are current but now too small. 

Watches were tiny before my time, and when I was in my youth the goal seemed to be the thinnest possible. As the current fashion for oversized watches must wane, and they can hardly get any larger, it follows that in future the punters will want a smaller watch  - but with what will then be cool retro styling. 

Imagine, if Omega had made 40mm pie pan Constellations back in the day, they would now be wonders to behold. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Francis Urquhart said:

I reckon it will be the ones that are current but now too small. 

Watches were tiny before my time, and when I was in my youth the goal seemed to be the thinnest possible. As the current fashion for oversized watches must wane, and they can hardly get any larger, it follows that in future the punters will want a smaller watch  - but with what will then be cool retro styling. 

Imagine, if Omega had made 40mm pie pan Constellations back in the day, they would now be wonders to behold. 

@Davey P just spat out his tea and smashed his keyboard across the monitor in a rage.

• Haha 3

On 14/06/2021 at 09:04, SolaVeritate said:

I think you could have hit the nail on the head.

image.thumb.png.57cbe54da5fc761474596b477a601c3f.png

For the individual user, these have the requirements of a specific job. Not this actual watch but ones similar.. and not apple/android in particular either, because they link direct to the phone which may be defunct by then. Health/fitness watches. I'm sure in 30 years time they will have figured out how to power them by kinetic movement and these "old" ones will be collectable as "fine examples of.. blah blah blah" 

Shame really, because they kinda suck.

... now look what you made me do:nono:

large.20210615_173315.jpg.c59113faab3b66abc8c987c1f15aaea4.jpg

• Haha 1