UK Watch Forum banner

Celebrating our differences of taste . . . . . .

1K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  yokel 
#1 ·
I was looking at an SOTC thread on another forum today.

One gentleman showed a collection of ten watches: eight sports Rolex models and two PP "nauts". All were steel (or perhaps WG, difficult to tell from photos). All had black faces. Only the Aquanaut was not on a bracelet (rubber). All the Rolex models were identical bracelets.

My immediate reaction: ten extremely similar watches, exclusively from two manufacturers, neither of which "speak to me" at all -- hell on earth.

Then I thought more about it. Some earnest gentleman had amassed a collection, almost certainly costing well into six figures, of watches which pleased him. And, I'm sure some here would sell body parts to get near such an assemblage -- because it would please them. My curmudgeonly views are irrelevant; those watches please their owner and, I'm sure. many others.

So, my take-away from this little damascene experience? Think twice before soliciting advice from others upon what you should buy. You are bound to provoke someone with, quite legitimately, very different views to yourself into commenting. Your money, your wrist, your taste -- do it "your way" and exalt in your individuality :yes:

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes... Most of my watches. Lol

I've been diving with my cousin who is a certified instructor. I've got no gear of my own though. Not really my thing, honestly it wasn't very enjoyable. I like "dive" watches because they're large and gadget like, with rotating and ratcheting pieces and the ability to go in the water without harm should the occasion arise. I'm around water a lot during the summer. It's pretty simple really. I mean, I don't need to be going to a formal event to wear a dress watch either. Watches just tell the time. The aesthetics is all about style and personal taste.

#12 ·
It's good that everyone has different tastes and makes different choices...otherwise we'd all be looking at pictures of the same watch. The forum would be pretty boring with only one watch on display.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I like most styles and types of watch , my favourites are field watches , really svelte and simple dress watches ' divers and chrono's , like my musical tastes i truly believe i have eclectic tastes in horology , there is not much that appall's me (death metal , grime and europop)(Hublot , skeletals and terrible rubbish homage watchs) most everything else i can see the good in

when i say skeletals it is only because they are usually illegible , i love to see the workings in action but i do like to readily tell the time too!

#17 ·
I find this so subjective. We all Like what we like, who knows what drives me to purchase something. I have discovered some amazing watches looking at others collections, often things I never heard of, and then taken the plunge,

love that it's all different in here. Dress watches do nothing for me other than admiring their delicacy. Still like looking though. I have a divers watch or two. But then I am a diver and ironically I don't wear them for work.

#19 ·
Think twice before soliciting advice from others upon what you should buy.
I'd have to disagree dependant upon what the requested advice is.

If asking (for example) should I go for watch A or watch B, I would presume the questioner likes both and is maybe doing a little market research as to others opinions (and particularly from those that have or have had watch A or B or in a perfect world both), hoping for some insight you might not get even if you are trying the watch on in a shop, either good or bad.

Also, when people have a specific set of specifications or details in mind, but haven't found the perfect watch that they are imagining. I must have laid eyes on thousands upon thousands of different watches like most of you, and I still see new watches that I have never seen before everyday, looking for options or more advice is not a bad thing.

The advice questions that are a little more silly are the 'does my bum look big in this Rolex Sub' type questions, but I assume that's not really looking for advice or opinions and more flexing ones ego or fishing for compliments.

It's good that everyone has different tastes and makes different choices...otherwise we'd all be looking at pictures of the same watch. The forum would be pretty boring with only one watch on display.
I would still manage 30+ posts per day.

To my mind, variety is the spice of life, but if someone wants to collect very similar watches, good on them it's a free country :)
I've tried a few watches that were not 'in my lane's over the years, the problem is I'm quite middle of the road.

The music analogy made earlier rings true here too, I thought I had a diverse taste in music; rock, pop, r&b, soul, rap, dance, grunge, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, naughties, all has its merits imo, until a friend pointed out that all of the songs I liked are chart music, different genres, but all 'middle of the road' in so far as they are pretty much all hugely successful, there is little to nothing on my Spotify playlist that I would have to explain who they are to any member of the public.

Nothing wrong with someone that only wants to collect a narrow field because they wouldn't venture wearing something from a different part of the spectrum that we're all on.

Reactions: JayDeep and Roy
#25 ·
this is why i HATE the should i buy this< or that > posts.....buy what the hell you like!

Ive found my own journey interesting....ive always wanted to keep my collection small (4-6) pieces, but my objectives have changed massively.

Ive always wanted relatively high end pieces, however those pieces used to be Rolex, AP.....the watches you see everyone wear (whether that be a status symbol or what have you), but ive come to realise, i wanted those watches because social media was 'telling me' that i wanted them....its not what i truely desired.

Since that point ive collected what i wanted to...ive currently got 3 omegas in my collection and my Zenith Pilot 1 of 250 ltd edition so i see my 'sports' collection complete and am now heading towards the more unusual or dressy end of my collection with GS, Glashutte Original and JLC.

If youd have asked me if my collection would consist of Omega, GS, Zenith, GO or JLC a few years back id have committed you to some sort of asylum.

#26 ·
I'm always amazed, and personally think it's great, at the sheer variety of watches/brands in the WRUW threads, ok a few brands are more popular and feature more, but each day there is a very good selection of brands, watch types, sizes and price range.

Having said that, i must admit, that seeing such a great variety is very, very bad for the, as @martinzx says, madness hobby we find ourselves suffering from, to many temptations and that little voice in the head daily saying "oh that's a stunning watch, would really like that but really shouldn't, maybe just one more". :laughing2dw:

#28 ·
To my mind, that is absolutely the right attitude :)

We only live once, I use my money to buy what I want and then I use it and wear it out. I don't give any thought to possible future owners. I have a Caterham Seven with fifty thousand miles on the clock, it is covered in stone chips but I enjoy driving it and the more miles it travels, the more enjoyment I get :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.