Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Which Breitling to choose?


Recommended Posts

I am coming up to a big birthday for my husband. He's narrowed which watch he would like to 2 selections:

1. The Breitling Premier B01 Chronograph 42 (£7,025), or

2. The Breitling Premier Chronograph 42 (£5,250)

I understand the primary difference between the two to be that all of the parts in the B01 are made in house by Breitling, but I have no idea if that's important or worth the additional cost if you aren't a collector? Any advise gratefully received.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best to go with him and get him to try both on. Generally an in-house movement will be favoured by collectors but sounds as if this is a watch that he should keep for life - whichever he likes best would therefore be the one to go for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you not try to get hubby to narrow it down just a little bit more?:biggrin:

Failing that, I think @richy176has the best solution so far if trying on both watches is possible. Leaving aside the enhanced collectability of a watch where all the components are made in-house by the company concerned, there is a distinct difference in basic style between the two chronograph watches your husband is looking at, and as a watch "for life" so to speak, rather than an investment, he might be able to plump for one or the other. When it comes to investment potential of Breitling watches, I don't feel sufficiently confident to pass a firm opinion and will defer to richy176 again in his above reply; I also feel sure that you will receive further useful replies on this thread.:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, chas g said:

I was happy to pay £3200 for a superocean 42mm with a 5 year warranty but would hesitate to spend more on a breitling because of the resale value.

 

It's a big birthday present, so resale value should be irrelevant. 

And seemingly the gentleman wants a Breitling chrono . . . . . :thumbsup:

 

 

Personally, being OCD, I'd want the in-house version. But that might not matter at all to this recipient. So, I agree with @richy176  --  let him choose. His View is far more valuable than ours.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The B01 is a lovely movement and worth the extra money, however you also have to look at long term costs. The B01 is likely only going to be serviced by Breitling where as the standard premier has a non in house movement that can be serviced by any decent watchmaker so the servicing will be cheeper 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, sdflkfk0 said:

I am coming up to a big birthday for my husband. He's narrowed which watch he would like to 2 selections:

1. The Breitling Premier B01 Chronograph 42 (£7,025), or

2. The Breitling Premier Chronograph 42 (£5,250)

I understand the primary difference between the two to be that all of the parts in the B01 are made in house by Breitling, but I have no idea if that's important or worth the additional cost if you aren't a collector? Any advise gratefully received.

 

Apologies my response was insensitive. I am sure your husband will be delighted whichever Breitling you choose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is a birthday gift, shouldn't the gifter choose?

On the other hand, a day out to a jewelers for them to put them both on.. might make a special day out. 

Yeah.. go try them both on him.

Edited by SolaVeritate
Edited because of daftness
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yokel said:

It's a big birthday present, so resale value should be irrelevant. 

And seemingly the gentleman wants a Breitling chrono . . . . . :thumbsup:

 

 

Personally, being OCD, I'd want the in-house version. But that might not matter at all to this recipient. So, I agree with @richy176  --  let him choose. His View is far more valuable than ours.

@sdflkfk0

My thoughts would be for the exact opposite of this, and not just for the devil's advocacy. In-house means only negative things as far as I'm concerned. Less parts availability in the future, more expensive servicing, and longer wait times for servicing. "In-house" seems to have some perceived value in the minds of some collectors, but for me it is utterly valueless. It's a whoopty do kind of thing. I'd much rather make things easier on myself down the road.

So my sincere suggestion is to do the same for yourselves. Go with the cheaper option. Don't go inhouse movement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JayDeep said:

All of them, technically. As many as he can, is recommended. So, that's not an antidote to my point Yokesies! Lol

It's a hobby, oh deep one  --  and hobbies are money pits  --  I know; I do motorsport :whistle:

I am fully aware that thinking about resale value tends to lead to a boring collection  --  obviously, worrying about service costs in your purchase decision has a similar effect.

 

I hadn't thought though that the argument you make is also a factor to persuade one to favour fewer watches over many  --  and, especially, to avoid chronos :tongue:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, yokel said:

It's a hobby, oh deep one  --  and hobbies are money pits  --  I know; I do motorsport :whistle:

I am fully aware that thinking about resale value tends to lead to a boring collection  --  obviously, worrying about service costs in your purchase decision has a similar effect.

 

I hadn't thought though that the argument you make is also a factor to persuade one to favour fewer watches over many  --  and, especially, to avoid chronos :tongue:

Oh indeed! Chronos are a waste of money entirely!!! Unfortunately they are my Achilles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will suggest making a weekend of it.

Spending this amount of money on a watch for the special birthday must be a moment to remember. 

Book a decent Hotel, evening meals with champagne etc etc.

Shopping day to follow but not just for the watch, make sure you treat your very good self too. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer everyone up.

Hubby's gonna look good with his new tick-tock thing on his wrist, you should be looking even better.

Next day as a wind down to enjoy your new purchases and relax.

That is how Mrs H and I would do it. ...... enjoy 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Hayballs said:

I will suggest making a weekend of it.

Spending this amount of money on a watch for the special birthday must be a moment to remember. 

Book a decent Hotel, evening meals with champagne etc etc.

Shopping day to follow but not just for the watch, make sure you treat your very good self too. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer everyone up.

Hubby's gonna look good with his new tick-tock thing on his wrist, you should be looking even better.

Next day as a wind down to enjoy your new purchases and relax.

That is how Mrs H and I would do it. ...... enjoy 

As someone who believes in the concept of a birthmonth celebration rather than just a day, I concur.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...