• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The interweb vs reality

I've often found that what appeals to me when I see images on the web turns out to be a let down in reality, and vice versa.

For example, I loved the images of the Omega Seamaster 300 with the white ceramic dial, to the point where I was working out how to raise funds for one. But on seeing it in a shop window, my reaction was, "Nice, but it doesn't fire me up".

Conversely, I always disdained the Tudor Black Bay, especially the gaudy red version. I thought the dial looked cramped and the snowflake hour hand was ridiculously large and clumsy. Saw it in the jewelers window and was captivated, it was a model of proportion, precision and tastefulness.

I've only once known the web to marry with reality - a Davosa Classique, which I bought unseen on the basis of web images and found even better in the flesh. 

Is this a common experience?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Thrudge said:

I've often found that what appeals to me when I see images on the web turns out to be a let down in reality, and vice versa.

For example, I loved the images of the Omega Seamaster 300 with the white ceramic dial, to the point where I was working out how to raise funds for one. But on seeing it in a shop window, my reaction was, "Nice, but it doesn't fire me up".

Conversely, I always disdained the Tudor Black Bay, especially the gaudy red version. I thought the dial looked cramped and the snowflake hour hand was ridiculously large and clumsy. Saw it in the jewelers window and was captivated, it was a model of proportion, precision and tastefulness.

I've only once known the web to marry with reality - a Davosa Classique, which I bought unseen on the basis of web images and found even better in the flesh. 

Is this a common experience?

I had completely written off the Black Bay for similar reasons plus the size, saw it, touched it, bought the bogger.

Just couldn’t resist it in the flesh.

• Like 1

Would agree with the OP. Bought a couple of watches in the past on initial attraction only to find upon receiving them they’re not as nice as I’d first though & ended up moving them on. 
More than not I’m finding however nice a new watch is I keep going back to a core of 3 or 4 I wear regularly and have a half dozen in a box that see regular wear. Pretty much down to two daily’s & one smart now. 

Clearly seeing a watch in the flesh will always be the best option but where possible, YouTube is not too bad as you will often get to see the real thing rather than a digitally enhanced picture.

And a good video review will provide you with more useful  information before decision time, especially when the reviewer mentions the downsides.

34 minutes ago, chas g said:

Interwebs and reality dont belong in the same sentence

I wish someone would explain that to Big M

She believes everything she sees and reads on that Facetw@t thing. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

The one that sticks in my mind

Ridiculed by all and sundry, even Rolex fan boys but Big M tried one on. Not for everyone but in the metal on a wrist a stunning bit of kit. 

103_001.jpg

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Yup, that happens a lot, especially with microbrands and every single time with Seiko. Orient has never let me down, nor has citizen. Tissot usually has that effect as well. Excellent marketing photos, not so much so in person. With microbrands it's even worse because you don't have any choice but to hit and hope.

• Agree 1

I've had experience of this, too. When the Seiko LE Samurai 'Blue Lagoon' was released a few years ago, I just had to have one based on looks/hype alone. Couldn't get one for love nor money as they all sold out fairly quickly, but managed to snaffle one from a member here who had obviously thought the same way as me, both before and after purchase. When it arrived, I gave it the once over, was seriously disappointed/underwhelmed  and moved it on the same day via the sales corner here. The same happened with a Seiko 'Baby Tuna'. The worst feature of both was the hideously huge arrow hour hand that Seiko seem to apply to most of their ProSpex range.

Seiko Samurai 'Blue Lagoon' Limited Editon.

Seiko Baby Tuna.

16 hours ago, Thrudge said:

I've often found that what appeals to me when I see images on the web turns out to be a let down in reality, 

My mate had the same problem, only it was a woman. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Thrudge said:

I believe the more speed-oriented motorcycle chaps refer to them as Hardly Goingsome :biggrin:

Hardly fekkin movinson

tis a famous t Shirt the the Milwaukee mafia sued over and destroyed a perfectly good small business....the t shirts became legend and sold for hundreds on flea bay

Harley watch is made by Bulova(very disappointed)

not since second gear.jpg

• Haha 2