• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Chrono24 Virgin

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

c24 escrow service means that sellers do not get paid until the watch has arrived with the buyer, and C24 tell the seller when it is safe to post the watch.  Particularly on your first transactions they just hold back a bit to make sure the card is not reported stolen.

Nowadays you'd need to purloin the card and the mobile phone  --  and know the code to access the banking app  --  but I understand that caution is sensible.

Just been notified that the first (the private seller's piece) is on its way.

The other  --  the grey dealer  --  will take a month.

Agog :huh:

Edited by yokel

2 hours ago, yokel said:

Nowadays you'd need to purloin the card and the mobile phone  --  and know the code to access the banking app  --  but I understand that caution is sensible.

Just been notified that the first (the private seller's piece) is on its way.

The other  --  the grey dealer  --  will take a month.

Agog :huh:

A month?  That tells me that they are selling watches before buying them, and I would suggest cancelling the deal now.  C24 ask dealers to confirm the item is in stock and available (quite a recent improvement) to counter this.

One site were selling my watches without permission, +20% on the price, using my photos.  They sold one,  and then started negotiating with me on price!  I happily told them I won't sell them the watch at any price.  They will have had to disappoint their customer but these parasites have no financial risk, no knowledge of what they are selling and if they are like that when selling then what happens if something goes wrong?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, scottswatches said:

A month?  That tells me that they are selling watches before buying them, and I would suggest cancelling the deal now.  C24 ask dealers to confirm the item is in stock and available (quite a recent improvement) to counter this.

One site were selling my watches without permission, +20% on the price, using my photos.  They sold one,  and then started negotiating with me on price!  I happily told them I won't sell them the watch at any price.  They will have had to disappoint their customer but these parasites have no financial risk, no knowledge of what they are selling and if they are like that when selling then what happens if something goes wrong?

Very definitely Scott. The original quoted delivery time was 4-6 weeks, which I refused. They countered with an offer of the same watch with a deployant buckle in ten days  --  but not, of course, at quite the same price. Again, refused. Then they came back with the original watch in 3-4 weeks  --  and I thought I would try the experiment.

It is obvious that this dealer operates with a network of "cooperative" ADs around Europe. He could not possibly carry the stock behind all his offers. I will name him, with my recommendation or otherwise, once the deal comes to fruition.

• Like 1

The private seller deal has arrived.

Watch has clearly been worn a fair bit, but the body is in good nick even if the strap could do with a litt;e TLC.

On visual inspection, it appears just as described.

It is a Nomos Zürich Blaugold  --  my favourite Nomos. In fact, a Nomos for grown-ups.

And yes, I do already own a Zürich Braungold  --  which is why I was confident to buy unseen without fear of disappointment in the watch.

20210619b-1200.JPG

20210619a-1200.JPG

20210619c-1200.JPG

20210619d-1200.JPG

20210619e-1200.JPG

20210619f-1200.JPG

20210619g-1200.JPG

20210619h-1200.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Can I ask why you bought a watch you already own, lovely though it is?

One brown. one blue  --  otherwise identical.

• Like 1

A serious question for my learned friends.

When I received the 2014 Nomos, I inspected it  --  slight signs of having been worn on the case, a few scratches on the strap  --  a win (I thought).

Set it by the atomic clock, and found that twenty four hours later it had gained 35s. Can't win them all (I thought).

Took it yesterday to meet my trusted watch maker, who (having admired it) put it on his "chronographic" machine. Gaining twelve seconds on average, said he. His advice was watch and wait, as watches which have rarely been worn can sometimes do odd things on resuscitation  --  wear it, and come and see me again if it doesn't settle down to your satisfaction. (No charge.)

Over the last 24 hours it has gained 7s  --  with which I could happily live.

So, the question: how and why can a decent watch do that?

9 minutes ago, yokel said:

A serious question for my learned friends.

When I received the 2014 Nomos, I inspected it  --  slight signs of having been worn on the case, a few scratches on the strap  --  a win (I thought).

Set it by the atomic clock, and found that twenty four hours later it had gained 35s. Can't win them all (I thought).

Took it yesterday to meet my trusted watch maker, who (having admired it) put it on his "chronographic" machine. Gaining twelve seconds on average, said he. His advice was watch and wait, as watches which have rarely been worn can sometimes do odd things on resuscitation  --  wear it, and come and see me again if it doesn't settle down to your satisfaction. (No charge.)

Over the last 24 hours it has gained 7s  --  with which I could happily live.

So, the question: how and why can a decent watch do that?

Redistribution of oils? Oils getting back up to operating temperature? Muck and dust being shifted from the mechanism somewhere?

I don’t know much about watches but combustion engines always feel a bit different when they have been stood around so my mind is just scaling it down to a watch.

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, Bow said:

Redistribution of oils? Oils getting back up to operating temperature? Muck and dust being shifted from the mechanism somewhere?

I don’t know much about watches but combustion engines always feel a bit different when they have been stood around so my mind is just scaling it down to a watch.

What do you think?

Not a lot of a clue, me!

I did think about reactivation of lube, but dismissed that as I assumed that the watch would start out running slowly.

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Not a lot of a clue, me!

I did think about reactivation of lube, but dismissed that as I assumed that the watch would start out running slowly.

I guess ot is just as likely for oils to 'pool' (not really pool but gravitate and settle I guess) on a moving part as away from a moving part, so over 'lubing' a movement and making it run smoother and quicker as a result?

Again based on no actual knowledge just on logic that generally when things can go wrong they are as likely to go wrong in either direction of the desired 'right'.

Watches and their timekeeping are dependent on temperature and position, and variations of either can disrupt the watches performance.  It isn't unusual for a watch to settle down, especially if it has just been transported (possibly in an unheated cargo plane) and scanned by whatever machines couriers and customs might use (which might have magnetic coils).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watch has gained 11 seconds over the last 48 hours of wear  --  5.5s per day is fine by me.

I'll wait to see what it does next :hmmm9uh:

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Watches and their timekeeping are dependent on temperature and position, and variations of either can disrupt the watches performance.  It isn't unusual for a watch to settle down, especially if it has just been transported (possibly in an unheated cargo plane) and scanned by whatever machines couriers and customs might use (which might have magnetic coils).  

Thanks Scott.

I hadn't considered that this symptom might have been the result of a 24 hour sojourn with Royal Mail  --  during which it was probably scanned repeatedly :oops:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the Nomos is now running at about +4s per day  --  perfectly acceptable.

Baffling to a nit like me how a watch can cure its own regulation problem  --  but, nits are easily baffled.

As for the cause, I can only assume that @scottswatches was correct :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, today my second experiment with Chrono24 landed.

I ordered a new Glashütte Original Panomatic Lunar from a London "grey dealer" called  Watches World (watchesworld.com).

As this is a thread about the C24 experience, I'll cover that before showing you (briefly) the watch.

With one slight wrinkle, the WW experience was all I could wish for. The price was very competitive (and used C24 "Trusted Checkout"). Communication was good, and helpful  --  all queries were answered very promptly, and they unfailingly came back to me when they said they would. The watch turned up with DHL nicely and safely packaged. The watch was as specified, and everything I would expect was there  --  including a fully filled out and stamped warranty card from what appears to be a GO AD in Paris. Initial checks indicate that the watch is functioning as one would expect (i.e. Panoramadate and moon-phase operating).

The slight wrinkle was timing. WW initially quoted 4-6 weeks. I told them to cancel the order as I thought that too long. They said they thought they could do it in 3-4 weeks, so I let the order run. In the end, delivery was four and a half weeks. Apparently, C24 dealers are supposed to own the pieces they offer for sale  --  but it doesn't take any intelligence to understand that a small company like WW could not possibly own all the watches they offer on their website and through C24. As I fully understand the necessity of working capital control, that didn't bother me  --  but, for a while, I was unconvinced that they even knew where they could source the piece. They did, however, and on my evidence to date, I would happily use WW again (though probably still through C24).

Diver fanatics can cease reading here, as the Panomatic is anything but a sports watch. Even worse, this one is green. It is however, my first green watch, and my first micro-rotor automatic.

The obligatory pics . . . .

20210720d-1200.JPG

20210720c-1200.JPG

20210720b-1200.JPG

20210720f-1200.JPG

20210720g-1200.JPG

20210720e-1200.JPG

20210720h-1200.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, yokel said:

I ordered a new Glashütte Original Panomatic Lunar from a London "grey dealer" called  Watches World (watchesworld.com).

20210720e-1200.JPG

20210720h-1200.JPG

That is lovely! Well done Sir!

..... should you find yourself with a redundant PanoReserve - I could look after it for you!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, yokel said:

20210720g-1200.JPG

20210720e-1200.JPG

20210720h-1200.JPG

Stunning, I really like that! Congratulations, wear it in great health!

Cheers martin :)

• Thanks 1