• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Dissapoitment

Qell after selling quite a few cheaper  watches I treated myself to the Seiko Aplinist SPB117J1 it arrived and I didn't even try it on as soon as I opened the box i was immediately disappointed.

Rattly bracelet and I hated the see thru case back in person just reminded me of an expensive Seiko 5. 

I sent it back and instead picked up a used Oris 65 which I must say I love it!!

Any one else bought quite an expensive watch online for it to arrive and send it straight back?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, carlgulliver said:

Qell after selling quite a few cheaper  watches I treated myself to the Seiko Aplinist SPB117J1 it arrived and I didn't even try it on as soon as I opened the box i was immediately disappointed.

Rattly bracelet and I hated the see thru case back in person just reminded me of an expensive Seiko 5. 

I sent it back and instead picked up a used Oris 65 which I must say I love it!!

Any one else bought quite an expensive watch online for it to arrive and send it straight back?

No, but I have never flipped a watch I tried on first, and buying unseen is always liable to that risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, carlgulliver said:

I haven't no, but on the subject of exhibition casebacks I wish Seiko would bin them and use the money on the bracelets instead. Solid instead of folded links on the 5's, and just better quality on the Alpinists etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlgulliver said:

I’m sorry to hear this, on the flip side, you’ve replaced it with an awesome watch! Can’t wait to see some pics of which version you went for!

This has also happened to me, however it was with a much cheaper fashion watch! But I was massively disappointed, never a nice feeling! (Disappointment)

Another one who can't see the point of display backs on Seiko's. If you're going to show off the movement at least make it good to look at.

I am, or was, a big Seiko fan - it's the brand that got me into watches - but their latest offerings just haven't floated my boat at all I'm afraid :( Given the choice between an Alpinist or Oris I'd probably take the Oris these days. Enjoy your new watch :thumbs_up: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Omega deville coaxial prestige. I tried it on in goldsmiths, got it home and thought why on earth have I bought this watch. Since then I have put it on and with one exception it has gone back in the safe. Nothing wrong with it but it's just not me at all. I have reached the conclusion that it will either be sold or my daughter can have it.

20210615_115033~2.jpg

• Like 2

I realise loads of people buy watches online, but i would never ever buy  a watch online, so many times i`ve seen watches online or pictures in magazines etc, and when i`ve actually seen them in the flesh they can be quite underwhelming, there are exeptions, the Tudor blue face pelagos blew me away when i actually set eyes on it, the oris 65 bronze bezel with leather strap also bears a striking resemblance to online photos. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Glad it worked out Ok, the Oris is a lovely watch :thumbsup:

Display case backs  always make a watch thicker, not good with an automatic. Plus the average mass produced movement isn't great to look at either.

With a high quality hand wound movement, there is more worth seeing and less height to the movement, so it makes more sense.

• Like 1

Some self winding movements like the Oris auto with the red rotor are fairly iconic, so a see through case back can add to a watches appeal, this obviously dosnt work for many others but its not all negative, i wouldnt choose a watch particularly because of a see through case back, but it certainly wouldnt put me off.

33 minutes ago, sabailand said:

I realise loads of people buy watches online, but i would never ever buy  a watch online, so many times i`ve seen watches online or pictures in magazines etc, and when i`ve actually seen them in the flesh they can be quite underwhelming, there are exeptions, the Tudor blue face pelagos blew me away when i actually set eyes on it, the oris 65 bronze bezel with leather strap also bears a striking resemblance to online photos. :)

I bought a watch on the strength of the 'render' - the actual watch had a skinnier handset.  I just changed the hands because the rest of it was bob on, but the sales pics cannot be relied on.

18 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I bought a watch on the strength of the 'render' - the actual watch had a skinnier handset.  I just changed the hands because the rest of it was bob on, but the sales pics cannot be relied on.

Yes i would imagine it might not be as big a problem for some than for others, for those like yourself who have the tools and actually enjoy the task its all part of the hobby, but for people like me who just like a nice watch thiings ideally have to be right first time (of course you can rteurn items but none of us like the faff).

I suppose the list of little discrepancies can be endless.

8 hours ago, carlgulliver said:

I've never sent anything back unless it was broken, but I've definitely immediately hated something I bought and regretted the purchase.

• Like 3

I was initially a bit disappointed with my anOrdain. The watch is lovely but on the leather straps it's just a bit lacking in presence and isn't quite sure of it's identity with the brushed, rounded case.

On the NATO though, I absolutely love it. It's a perfect quirky tool watch that I'll happily wear everyday, on rides & walks etc. 

I was never going to send it back, but glad I experimented with the straps as it transforms the watch.

Surprisingly there's alot more people done the same as me than I imaged. That Omega is a stunner you need to get some wear out of that.

The Oris is a little beauty it's the first edition with the big 12,3,6 and 9 very well made and came on a nice strap to instead of a rattly bracelet haha.

funny i have bought all of my current 12  watches on line ! and none of the present ones have been a drunken or spontaneous purchase :biggrin: all have been very considered  , however suppose  none are what you might call "fun in the cheap seats " either  so they are not ones you want to buy and regret and feel the quality does not match the expectation.

Well either that or i am easily pleased :laugh:

deano

Edited by deano1956
wish i could spell!!
  • Like 1

I have bought a g shock , admittedly when slightly drunk that I regretted and haven’t been able to bond with. 

it’s just a lesson in life for me. Won’t be the first or the last time. I guess I’m trying to say, it’s all a learning experience 

Yeah, bought a Seiko monster (Vampire), didn't even take it out of the box, then traded it for another Seiko on here, which I subsequently punted.  Tried so much but just don't like Seiko, always been disappointed.

• Like 1