• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Worstcase servicing costs for a Rolex 1803 movement

gck303

Question

I currently have a mid 1960s manual wind steel Rolex watch. It has sat idle for a few years and is now running 54s/day fast. I have  just been quoted 250 for a service, which seems fair. 

I am considering trading it in for a similar Rolex with an automatic movement and date. Certainly of a similar vintage and I would expect it to have a perspex front. 

What are the worst case service costs for a 1803 daydate movement? For this, lets make the assumption that the watch runs fine and has no visible faults. 

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, gck303 said:

I currently have a mid 1960s manual wind steel Rolex watch. It has sat idle for a few years and is now running 54s/day fast. I have  just been quoted 250 for a service, which seems fair. 

I am considering trading it in for a similar Rolex with an automatic movement and date. Certainly of a similar vintage and I would expect it to have a perspex front. 

What are the worst case service costs for a 1803 daydate movement? For this, lets make the assumption that the watch runs fine and has no visible faults. 

£250 is a fair price for a service imo Rolex would charge around £500 , I had my oyster perpetual done by an independent for £265

• Agree 1

Are there any horror stories of working watches, especially Rolexes, that are working and have huge hidden problems and service costs?

I guess, the same thing could be asked in another way....

Is there any down side, other than it not being accurate, of not servicing a watch? 

The downsides of not servicing a watch are that gears and levers could be grinding against metal with no lubrication and will eventually wear, leaving you with a bill of £750+ instead of £250.

That said, Rolex movements are generally pretty robust and not known for their failure rate. 

The movement in your proposed trade would be a 1055 (1803 is the model reference) I guess, so the only thing I'd be wary of is parts availability. Do Rolex even stock parts for this movement now? It would be more of a risk than I'd be willing to take but I don't do vintage Rolex. Well, only as far back as 2002 anyway.

What watch that can be serviced for £250 are you trading against a 1803?

1 hour ago, gck303 said:

Are there any horror stories of working watches, especially Rolexes, that are working and have huge hidden problems and service costs?

I guess, the same thing could be asked in another way....

Is there any down side, other than it not being accurate, of not servicing a watch? 

If you are determined to go "vintage" I would only deal with someone with a reputation to protect.