• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I need to polish the acrylic top on my Corvette

JimmyUSA

Normally I'd ask about automotive erlated things on the vette forum, but something like this I need guidance with regard to technique and I'd feel better about getting it from this group when it comes to sanding out scratches and then polishing the acrylic.

There's really only a few scratches on it, they're not very deep at all, but polishing it afterward is likely where I'm going to be more picky. I really want to bring it back to life. It's a panoramic top. 

This isn't mine, but its the kind of top I'm working with, borrowed from the web...

1589953325_IMG_19772163.JPG.ba82e440b2be

vK4BgL7TvxCcwRSnXiTlvK2YfUQtQ__iCw2QFv1B

I'll have to snap a picture of mine specifically. 

I'm not going to be using orbital michinery or anything, I'm just going to do it all by hand. Shouldn't really take more than a few hours I don't think. Of course, I don't get paid to think any more either, so there's that. 

I'm not going to finish it with clear coat afterward, I'm just going to wax it. The clear coat will just flake off again eventually anyway. 

It's late over here in the states, so that's just basically the cliff notes of what I want to do. Gonna head to bed. Will check back tomorrow or something to see if anyone has any advice. 

Thanks!

I have seen some guys do some amazing cleans on watch cristals using plastic polish, hopefullyn one of them will pop along shortly and help you out, good thinking asking here.

You could actually search the watch repair sub-forum, there's probably good stuff on there, I hope you get what you need.  

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I do wonder about this. I have myself hand-polished quite a few acrylic watch crystals successfully but the area of the surface to be polished is, of course, very small. Will you just be polishing the areas of scratch or will you find that you need to polish the whole surface of the top? Also, is the dark tint a surface finish or does it carry through the solid plastic?- it might be a problem if you end up with lighter areas where you have polished out the scratches.:)

• Like 1

On 24/06/2021 at 11:05, Always"watching" said:

I do wonder about this. I have myself hand-polished quite a few acrylic watch crystals successfully but the area of the surface to be polished is, of course, very small. Will you just be polishing the areas of scratch or will you find that you need to polish the whole surface of the top? Also, is the dark tint a surface finish or does it carry through the solid plastic?- it might be a problem if you end up with lighter areas where you have polished out the scratches.:)

I'm going to do the whole thing. In fact, I basically have to destroy the surface in order to polish it. 

The tint on the acrylic is all the way through, I believe. 

I've been just browsing through the board as I've found time the last couple of days trying to jog my memory on this stuff. 

It is a large surface, considering. I've already got the clear coat removed. So the finish is dull now from light sanding. 

I used 600 grit paper for that. I'll work my way down with finer paper. 

Mainly just trying to decide on what to polish it with once I get it smooth.

That's a heck of a lot of polywatch, though. Heh heh. 

Dear @JimmyUSA, I have used Peek and now always have a tube of it handy for small-scale polishing jobs on base metal and acrylic such as watch crystals. As you will be requiring quite a lot of polish for the job in hand I can tell you that Peek is available in 1 litre tins as well as in tubes. I use it as it comes from the tube in paste form but I believe you can also get it as a less concentrated liquid polish.  I don't know how much Peek costs in the USA but over here, zoro.co.uk sells the litre tins for £16.99.:)

• Like 1

You really need to machine polish it even if you just hire an orbital polisher for a day. Forget wet & dry sandpaper and use good quality diamond cutting compounds working you way down from coarse to very fine and plenty of water sprayed on to lubricate it as you go. Or you can buy it already suspended in a lubricant. Not cheap but I very much doubt if you'll get a satisfactory finish on such a large area by hand. 

We used this at work

https://www.kemet.co.uk/products/diamond-products/diamond-compound-paste

• 3 months later...

When at school many years ago we polished acrylic sheet with Brasso or T Cut auto paint muck remover, I've done loads of acrylic watch crystals using the same!

For deep scratches I used a fine wet and dry abrasive paper first then finished with T Cut or Brasso!

Good luck:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...