• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Air rifle

Would like an air rifle but don't know what to get new or second hand what do I go for 22 or 177, what type of action spring gas or what can anyone give me some tips please do you need a licence, what make to Go for,price around £130.00 what can I get , I'm not very tall 

Thanks John

58 minutes ago, bowie said:

Would like an air rifle but don't know what to get new or second hand what do I go for 22 or 177, what type of action spring gas or what can anyone give me some tips please do you need a licence, what make to Go for,price around £130.00 what can I get , I'm not very tall 

Thanks John

I used to be quite into air rifles many years ago but with less and less places now to shoot i sort of moved away from them , but still own a BSA sport model.

As for 22 verses 177 the argument has gone on for many years about the for and against between them , but basically the 22 fans argue it delivers more of a whack due to the size and weight of the pellet where the 177 penetrates the prey due to its smaller size and faster velocity and is less prone to wind resistance .I have owned both and personally was in the 177 fan club due to the above mentioned.

Spring verses gas , again I'm old school and would go for spring , purely because i know how to strip and maintain them but gas i know very little apart from they are practically silent and have no recoil .

You would get a good 2nd hand spring BSA or even a Weihrach (great guns) for your budget 

There is a member on here that has an amazing collection of Air rifles and will be able to give you much better advice than me , hopefully he will see this thread and offer better advice than i can give.

As for licence , you don't need one in England but i thin you may do in Scotland .

If buying 2nd hand and its been tuned , insure the muzzle velocity isn't over the legal limit or it then becomes a firearm

Edited by andyclient
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, bowie said:

Thanks John

what do you want to do with it? 

• Thanks 1

I have a .22 rifle to get the rats that come in from the fields.  So far I have two holes in my fence and no rats!

I know nothing about air rifles but asked at my local auction house.  Paid about £80 for a 1938 Diana Model 25, made in Germany.  Built to last

• Thanks 1

9 times out of 10 on a limited budget it's worth going 2nd hand. I bought a weirhauch hw77 22 when I wanted to do a bit of HFT and when I turned up at the club they said I should have bought a .177 because the trajectory is flatter. The 22 would have been better for rabbits and rats. I sold mine for £100 to a family member.

I ended up with a BSA ultra single shot and bought the scuba tank and bits. Far better for club target shooting and when I sold the kit I got about 60p in the pound for it all. It was pretty mint.

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Thanks 1

On 24/06/2021 at 07:57, jsud2002 said:

@johnbaz I think this topic is something you could help with :) 

Hi @jsud2002

Sorry i'm late to the chat, been so busy with my trees and other things that i've not been on the pc much recently, It seems there's been a few replies already!!

Personally i'd go second hand as generally it's more bang for the buck! (I've only ever bought two guns brand new!!)

Alas, I don't think £130 will get an absolutely fabulous gun but a nice HW95 or 99 will turn up occasionally cheapish!, HW's are fab guns that recently seem to have taken a bit of a nosedive with QC, There's been some horror stories over on Facey in the rifle groups :thumbdown:

Maybe if Bowie joins one of the Airgun forums like the Airgun BBS ot The Airgun forum a bargain may turn up in the sales forums :thumbsup:

Second hand HW's are usually a safe bet but care still has to be taken, I bought an old HW35, When I got it home it had been bodged half to death by some 'Gunsmith'!! Still, I only paid £70 for it!!

As said, Calibre is subjective, I love number one bore for accuracy but with arthritic fingers, Sometimes struggle to get the little pellet in to the breech, The meatier number two bore needs less dexterity- I had to get rid of my Air Arms TX200 as the port was small and I kept dropping the little pellets in to the sliding breech area, I eventually bought a 4.5mm HW97 and the port aperture was larger than the TX, I can load it with ease!!

You may be better buying face to face so that you can try the gun out and see if it fits you, If it's uncomfortable to shoot then the pleasure won't be there! Also, You can see if the power is up or down and listen/feel for bad noises and vibrations- If the piston slams in to the cylinder end that there's usually a loss of power somewhere that stops the piston from buffering, Maybe a damaged or worn piston/breech seal or a worn loading tap, If excessive smoke comes out after each shot then there's lubricant in the compression area, This is bad as it may make the gun illegal by going over the max legal muzzle energy, Also It could get you in to trouble and at the very least it will eventually damage it as the detonation will over heat and eventually burn the piston seal, It can also bulge the cylinder due to the larger pressure than the gun is designed to take, Most like the gun will be very inaccurate too!

If you get a break barrel- Try the barrel sideways for movement, If it has a threaded pivot then any slack can be taken up but if it's a pin then this isn't usually the case, The jaws can be  squeezed to slightly but it's a bad design having to do this!

Unerlevers may have worn loading taps, This is much harder to put right and these guns should be rejected.

Not sure where you are @bowie but there may be an Airguns fayre on this autumn at Melbourne in Derby, There's usually loads of bargains there (Along with some really rare stuff too!), The spring bash was cancelled due to Covid, I'm hoping that the autumn one will go ahead though!

Hope you find something that suits you :thumbsup:

John :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

Hi @jsud2002

Sorry i'm late to the chat, been so busy with my trees and other things that i've not been on the pc much recently, It seems there's been a few replies already!!

Personally i'd go second hand as generally it's more bang for the buck! (I've only ever bought two guns brand new!!)

Alas, I don't think £130 will get an absolutely fabulous gun but a nice HW95 or 99 will turn up occasionally cheapish!, HW's are fab guns that recently seem to have taken a bit of a nosedive with QC, There's been some horror stories over on Facey in the rifle groups :thumbdown:

Maybe if Bowie joins one of the Airgun forums like the Airgun BBS ot The Airgun forum a bargain may turn up in the sales forums :thumbsup:

Second hand HW's are usually a safe bet but care still has to be taken, I bought an old HW35, When I got it home it had been bodged half to death by some 'Gunsmith'!! Still, I only paid £70 for it!!

As said, Calibre is subjective, I love number one bore for accuracy but with arthritic fingers, Sometimes struggle to get the little pellet in to the breech, The meatier number two bore needs less dexterity- I had to get rid of my Air Arms TX200 as the port was small and I kept dropping the little pellets in to the sliding breech area, I eventually bought a 4.5mm HW97 and the port aperture was larger than the TX, I can load it with ease!!

You may be better buying face to face so that you can try the gun out and see if it fits you, If it's uncomfortable to shoot then the pleasure won't be there! Also, You can see if the power is up or down and listen/feel for bad noises and vibrations- If the piston slams in to the cylinder end that there's usually a loss of power somewhere that stops the piston from buffering, Maybe a damaged or worn piston/breech seal or a worn loading tap, If excessive smoke comes out after each shot then there's lubricant in the compression area, This is bad as it may make the gun illegal by going over the max legal muzzle energy, Also It could get you in to trouble and at the very least it will eventually damage it as the detonation will over heat and eventually burn the piston seal, It can also bulge the cylinder due to the larger pressure than the gun is designed to take, Most like the gun will be very inaccurate too!

If you get a break barrel- Try the barrel sideways for movement, If it has a threaded pivot then any slack can be taken up but if it's a pin then this isn't usually the case, The jaws can be  squeezed to slightly but it's a bad design having to do this!

Unerlevers may have worn loading taps, This is much harder to put right and these guns should be rejected.

Not sure where you are @bowie but there may be an Airguns fayre on this autumn at Melbourne in Derby, There's usually loads of bargains there (Along with some really rare stuff too!), The spring bash was cancelled due to Covid, I'm hoping that the autumn one will go ahead though!

Top tips

As you would no doubt expect 

Coming from a bloke that forged Sadams super gun. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Top tips

As you would no doubt expect 

Coming from a bloke that forged Sadams super gun. 

That was made down the Forge Bond, I worked in the foundry all the time I was there so am not guilty m'lud!! :whistle::laughing2dw:

John :thumbs_up:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

“Project Babylon”

Forgemasters= “it’s only oil refinery gear, honest guv”

Good advice @jsud2002 :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

That was made down the Forge Bond, I worked in the foundry all the time I was there so am not guilty m'lud!! :whistle::laughing2dw:

John :thumbs_up:

As I've mentioned before at the time we were doing loads of materials testing work for Forgemasters and River Don Castings up in Middlesbrough not a stones throw from the docks where bits of the alleged super gun were impounded, I've been in SFM a few times and worked in the old Avesta test lab, I can picture the SFM test lab managers face as clear as day but for the life of me can't remember his name. 

9 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

“Project Babylon”

Forgemasters= “it’s only oil refinery gear, honest guv”

Good advice @jsud2002 :thumbsup:

I was there

Obviously undercover, I'm not really a metallurgist 

:whistle:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

Hi @jsud2002

Excelleat advise john will have a look on facebook page i live not for from sunderland thanks for all the replies :thumbs_up:

also i know what you mean about picking the 177 slugs up very hand  for my fingers just i thought 177 where better i used to have a bsa super meteor .22 when i was 16 that's a few yeara ago now i'm 62 and need specs for reading

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all :) . I’ve got quite a lot of experience with air rifles. I’ve had a weihrauch HW80 springer for forty years and I regularly shoot with a friend who has quite a collection of spring and gas powered pistols and rifles. Probably his finest is a Weirauch HW 110ST-K which is a gas charged design. It’s very compact, light, has zero recoil, is multi-shot, almost silent when fired and extremely accurate (his is .22). However, it requires one to have a gas cylinder which will need refilling periodically. It really depends on what yo7 want to do with it and how much yo7 are prepared to spend. The upper end gas rifles are £2K and it’s possible to spend even more!

• Thanks 1

Myself and my son have shot Airguns , spring and PCP for many years . My son was very succesful shooting .22 spring in national HFT , hunter field target competitions . He has since found love ! So shooting takes a back seat now . And Watches have taken over . I have many Airguns in my collection and sold many on . We also had a few golf course shoots clearing rabbits . We bagged upto 20 regularly on visits . 

I would say a Weihrauch HW99 in .22 would suit your needs . Also budget in a half decent scope . £130.00 is a bit of a stretch I think . Up your budget to £250.00 if possible for a decent gun that will do the job

All the best

Don

A recent addition to my collectio 

Don

20201030_113622.jpg

20201030_133003.jpg

I could go on ! 

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago on another forum (Not a watch or shooting forum), A fella that lived on an island in a very remote part of Scotland wanted an air rifle for his lad to bring meat (Rabbits etc) for the table (Nearest supermarket was around 50 miles away and across expanses of water!), he bought an Original mod50 in .177" cal but it was way too big for the lad so I asked if he wanted to swap for something more manageable for him!

Lk27MnD.jpg 

Poor lad had a helluva job cocking the big ol rifle!

pAYqw0N.jpg

I sent a Crossman King Ratcatcher with a couple of full 88g Co2 carts, It turned out fab for him and he did indeed bring much food home with it!!

ENFIysj.jpg

I reckon he was more than happy with the lightweight rifle and no cocking apart from drawing back a small bolt!!

Here's another that would have suited him, An SMK QB78, This one has been tarted up with brass and a HW sound moderator, These are quite cheap new too, They take two 12g carts, This one was tuned to 11.4ft lbs with JSB Exacts, It was professionally carbined (Luckily the bore was concentric- I've heard horror stories of these barrels being badly eccentric and being ruined when shortened!!)..

9aRTo8o.jpg

By the way, The chap that posted the Original 50 to me put it inside a large cardboard tube really well padded out but I think he threw it in the Atlantic and let it float south to me as it was dripping wet, There was a thin layer of surface rust which disappeared as soon as I wiped it over and oiled it all!!

It's the golden stocked left handed one of these :thumbsup:

aI8mm3M.jpg

I refinished the stock on the middle one whilst furloughed from work last year! (Got paid to do it!!)

1z8DpGb.jpg

john :thumbs_up:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, bowie said:

Hello people  can i pick your brains please which one would you recomend Hatsan Breaker 900X .22 or a Remington sabre .22

cheers john

Hi John

Sorry, I've never handled either of those two so can't be of any help :(

John..

• Thanks 1