• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Monday, back to work, hurrah! WRUW?

I've seen these before on Ebay and elsewhere, but not working and I've resisted. This one is running and, after a bit of haggling, it's mine. Arrived this morning.

On the dial it says "Sackville Railway Lever", which catches in my saved search for "Sackville" watches made by General Watch Co with Helvetia movements. This definitely isn't one of those, and I doubt if it's connected in any way. Inside, unless I'm mistaken, is an American unsigned Seth Thomas Grade 55 movement, which ticks loudly enough to be heard over the noise of a steam train. Seth Thomas went out of the watch business in 1915, according to the pocketwatchdatabase, though I have seen one of these engraved "HM Train Ferries 1917". If anyone has any ideas about the origin of this Sackville, I'd be very interested.

Sackville Railway Lever

Seth Thomas grade 55

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I'm too hung over today to choose a watch (just to sit about the house and watch Wheeler Dealers and sip water).

So I just grabbed this to fiddle about with the buttons and learn its functions.

large.20210504_151811.jpg.9e720a53becb169a171b77e8f192f6b0.jpg

I'm actually not sure what to do with this. I don't particularly like it. It has 5 alarms and I might just set it up to beep at certain times of the day as reminders and keep it close to where I sit. Its probably the best watch to go to a music festival or rock climbing but I'm unlikely to do neither of these. The closest I'm going to get to rough sports is rolling up my jeans to go paddling along a beach. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I've seen these before on Ebay and elsewhere, but not working and I've resisted. This one is running and, after a bit of haggling, it's mine. Arrived this morning.

On the dial it says "Sackville Railway Lever", which catches in my saved search for "Sackville" watches made by General Watch Co with Helvetia movements. This definitely isn't one of those, and I doubt if it's connected in any way. Inside, unless I'm mistaken, is an American unsigned Seth Thomas Grade 55 movement, which ticks loudly enough to be heard over the noise of a steam train. Seth Thomas went out of the watch business in 1915, according to the pocketwatchdatabase, though I have seen one of these engraved "HM Train Ferries 1917". If anyone has any ideas about the origin of this Sackville, I'd be very interested.

Sackville Railway Lever

Maybe its the light or the photo, but that dial does not look correct to me. I hope I am wrong, but it looks like a Bombay Mumbai special ...

18 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Is this the (valid) reason that the Steinhart is in the classifieds?

No, I've had the Glycine for years. I'm clearing a few out and heading towards a single big purchase. Watch this space …  :)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, martinzx said:

Maybe its the light or the photo, but that dial does not look correct to me. I hope I am wrong, but it looks like a Bombay Mumbai special ...

The dial looks to have a very soft finish to it. It doesnt have the normal glazed appearance of enamel. But then I know nothing about pocket watches. It does look nice though and I like the way it says "Foreign" on the dial at 6 o'clock. Makes me wonder the conversation the artisan would have had when he painted it

21 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

No, I've had the Glycine for years. I'm clearing a few out and heading towards a single big purchase. Watch this space …  :)

If I was at a different point in my spending cycle (ie. Not at the "oops I've spent too much" end) I'd be all over that SH, it is a lovely looking watch.

Good luck with the incoming, excited to see what you're planning.

Edited by Bricey

Time for a change...

Штурманские Гагарины (2609370124 & 260937016  ), производства Россия, Poljot cal. 2609 17 камней

(Sturmanskie Gagarin [2609370124 & 260937016], MADE IN RUSSIA, Poljot cal. 2609, 17 Jewels)

Gagarin-Sturmanskie-Black-dial-DSC_0022_zpslvxto4r4.thumb.gif.39fe87508d5230962afcd6f60ee3414d.gifGagarin-Sturmanskie-cream-dial-DSC_0021_zpsaiyua1xd.thumb.gif.d4cc693ab37021dafca4a72b24293cdc.gif

Gagarin-DSC_0033L2_zpspwgzh3fb.thumb.gif.ba773ae1ea7606aabb64dac478e1a79f.gif

1074845009_(26).gif.f4d2056daf9902d6320ed042e49484cc.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chas g said:

I like the way it says "Foreign" on the dial at 6 o'clock. Makes me wonder the conversation the artisan would have had when he painted it

"I know what I said, now paint the bleedin' dial!"

_86685392_000415222-1.jpg

Edited by Bricey
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

That's possible and in itself would be interesting, as I've seen several the same. In the flesh, I have to admit there is something not quite early 1900s about it. It's also possible I've completely mis-identified the movement and it's actually some 1960s pin pallet job. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, greasemonk said:

hi all,bought this sterile 6105 homage from our forums sponser and all round good bloke Roy :thumbsup:.i had only only had it for a couple of ours before starting to mod it .fitted an orange tuna dial.this gave problems as when fitted to the case there was too much orange showing on the outer edge of the dial.i overcame this by machining up a custom aluminium chapter ring with a smaller inside diameter covering up the offending space at the edge of the dial.the watch had silver hands which can be hard to see at certain angles against a light coloured dial.i overcame this by spraying them satin black then reluming them with superluminova C3.the bezel insert is one i had around.i think i like it as it is now but that can change :yes:....w3Qx1Ku.jpg

You really are very good

• Like 1
  • Agree 2