• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

new bronze tudor 58 - but you can't buy one

TUDOR BLACK BAY FIFTY EIGHT BRONZE WATCH - M79012M-0001

This launched at the weekend and I love the look of it.  I decided to buy one, contacted the only boutique in the country allowed to sell it and I have to travel to London, in person during a pandemic, to register my interest - I wouldn't even be guaranteed to get one if I made the 250 mile round trip, and I certainly wouldn't be able to bring one home.  

This Swiss arrogance has cost them a sale, and I am sure the grey market will be full of these within a month where those sellers might actually be willing to sell.

• Like 1

Beautiful watch and it's a shame you can't buy one off the shelf. Same with Rolex, no prices on WOS site, you have to register an interest.

The watch is bronze. Any idea what the bracelet is made of. One thing that did occur to me was would I buy a bronze watch which is going to discolour over time to something I might not like and which would be difficult to reverse?

The bracelet is Bronze too, and my plan was to video opening the box and then revisit the watch in a years time to see how it has patina'd 

I don't really have an issue with registering an interest, but only having one shop in the UK which is allowed to sell this model and forcing people to visit in person to register that interest is not on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, antjrice said:

This kind of BS is why the grey market is booming.

In the long term, I'm sure this is going to burst this bubble..... but I do indeed think this is long term. 

Or will it get more centralised?

https://www.watchpro.com/watch-brands-will-cut-all-but-the-most-exceptional-retail-partners-says-audemars-piguet-ceo/

Saw a stainless datejust in a pawn shop this morning. I don't know how old it was but looked more than 5 years old and slightly scruffy. £9750....seems a ridiculous price. Not sure how many bags of smack that is. They also had a yellow dial breitling super  avenger SeaWolf 2 for £2450. I think in only paid £2500 for the same watch at least 6 years ago.

I really really hope this arrogance eventually backfies, after I've sold mine. What length of waiting list do you think I should specify for prospective customers, after I've moved to Wick for viewing purposes.

5 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I certainly hope not and I don't actually think that will be the case.

I find some of the content of that article laughable if APs view is 'we don't allow enough margin for retailers to be profitable so our solution is to consider taking their trade away altogether'.

I just think this is more exclusivity sabre rattling. I think your vast experience in luxury retail would offer a better informed perspective but I am convinced brands like Rolex love this situation (goes to the 'is Rolex a Brand or a product argument'

I don't believe it will be in their favour in the long run. How many people in the fullness of time will get sick of not being able to get a stainless steel Rolex when they can take an Omega off the shelf for nearly 1/2 price at retail and 30% vs grey market?

8 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I don't really have an issue with registering an interest . . . . .

I do.

There are so many excellent manufacturers of beautiful watches out there who are really quite keen to sell you one, why would anybody bother "registering an interest" in a Tudor for goodness sake?

I regard "registering an interest" as very different from ordering a watch. Some manufacturers understandably have production lead times. That doesn't give me a problem provided a firm order is accepted  --  it will be fulfilled.

"Registering an interest" is tantamount to saying "please let me know (in your own good time) if you are prepared to sell this unworthy soul one of your masterpieces".  Not my game  --  I am not a serf. 

• Agree 1

The market place seems to have changed. Doesnt seem to be as many of the previously known discount watch wholesalers that used to advertise on TV. I saw the watch I was looking for on the internet at a reasonable price and tried to find a phone number as I dont like ordering on line. Couldn't find a phone number but established that the company which appears to have a huge stock has been trading for 5 months. I dont want to enter the pond either so have given up for the time being.

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I really really hope this arrogance eventually backfies, after I've sold mine. What length of waiting list do you think I should specify for prospective customers, after I've moved to Wick for viewing purposes.

Coming from Thurso, someone moving to Wick.....:laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

Dive watch, bronze, brown dial, snowflake hands, Tudor.

My favourite things all rolled into one.:laugh:

What was it Groucho Marx said about not wanting to join any club that was prepared to have him as a member?

Next….:tumbleweed:

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I can understand that a brand making 40k watches per year would limit the number of retail outlets in each country. Could also understand Tudor limiting that watch to one location if it was a limited edition of maybe under 1000 worldwide.

If they are just using `register an interest' to make the brand appear more exclusive then they deserve it to backfire.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, yokel said:

"Registering an interest" is tantamount to saying "please let me know (in your own good time) if you are prepared to sell this unworthy soul one of your masterpieces".  Not my game  --  I am not a serf. 

It could also be a way of calculating production run numbers.

11 hours ago, AVO said:

Dive watch, bronze, brown dial, snowflake hands, Tudor.

My favourite things all rolled into one.:laugh:

What was it Groucho Marx said about not wanting to join any club that was prepared to have him as a member?

Next….:tumbleweed:

Send me your Cartier RMSD. ASAP.

Exclusivity is like respect. It should be earned, not manufactured.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 11:14, scottswatches said:

TUDOR BLACK BAY FIFTY EIGHT BRONZE WATCH - M79012M-0001

This launched at the weekend and I love the look of it.  I decided to buy one, contacted the only boutique in the country allowed to sell it and I have to travel to London, in person during a pandemic, to register my interest - I wouldn't even be guaranteed to get one if I made the 250 mile round trip, and I certainly wouldn't be able to bring one home.  

This Swiss arrogance has cost them a sale, and I am sure the grey market will be full of these within a month where those sellers might actually be willing to sell.

Was it available at westfield stratford? **** that you can not buy it but have to register youre interest

42 minutes ago, Grailmaster said:

Was it available at westfield stratford? **** that you can not buy it but have to register youre interest

Nope.  Only one store in London will be able to supply it.  That must really annoy the other authorised dealers too.

Interesting take on the watch availability from Bark and Jack:

Regardless though, it wouldn't be one for me. I've already got a bronze watch I'm happy with but... I'm just not too sure about that bronze bracelet on the BB. 

• Like 1