• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Resistance is futile.

IMG_20210702_210309568(1)(1).thumb.jpg.301b61d12700a50764deca54b6371290.jpg

I absolutely do not need the quartz version of this watch, I already have another smaller but equally tough Elliot Brown quartz, but every evening I trawl the internet for the best prices, and I have even had one in my basket at nearly 20% off after an exciting inducement if I made the purchase within the next 30 mins.  The hard sell approach irritated me a bit, so I left it, having given myself a good sensible talking to, and agreeing with myself that I definitely should not buy the watch.  Ever.  

Does your watch-buying brain section appear unruly at times and likely to completely ignore the sensible section of your brain ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Does your watch-buying brain section appear unruly at times and likely to completely ignore the sensible section of your brain ?

Managed to keep things under control guv'.

I have a list of "would likes", which are all cheap these days, so if I spot any at discounted prices, then I might go for it. So far, a new Seiko 5, and a new Orient Multi Year Calendar watch.

• Thanks 1

Yehhhh about that! I went watch ‘window’ shopping today.

I feel like I’ve completed my sports watch collection now I have a Seamaster and speedmaster, I have 2 pilots watches with my big crown and Zenith Type 20…

….so my watch brain seems like it’s perfectly reasonable to spend £5000 on dress watches that will get used maybe once a month…

don’t get me wrong, the Glashutte, JLC and Grand Seiko on my shortlist are utterly stunning but from the outside world looking in, people must think we are crazy to spend so much money that gets used so occasionally 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WickerBill said:

don’t get me wrong, the Glashutte, JLC and Grand Seiko on my shortlist are utterly stunning but from the outside world looking in, people must think we are crazy to spend so much money that gets used so occasionally

Agreed, if I didn't have several watches already it would be entirely reasonable expenditure, but since I have realized that I am unlikely to wear out even a decent leather strap in the probable span available to me, I now look at watches from a £££ per wear point of view, which can be quite sobering.  Then I buy them anyway.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

I've just been giving myself a talking to as well.

I like watching the "I like watches" YouTube channel and he has a watch on Kickstarter at the moment. I have been really tempted not miss out, and it seems a good deal, but I don't actually like the watch! I can see why other people would like it, but deep down, I know I wouldn't wear it.

It is a bit mad even considering it, but  I'm starting to think the cheaper watches are more dangerous as it's easier to convince yourself that it is too much of a bargain to miss

It depends on how much money you can put to buying new/old watches..

I can see the temptation of getting £500 pieces if you have that cash spare or a fund for something special your waiting for. When £500 is that large purchase and your fund is building up at about £100 a month the temptation is less of a problem than people would believe. 

I still look at the bay and see £50-100 pieces and feel the temptation but I've been good and resisted (because I like that NEW watch feeling). I can live with my little oddball collection and because of an expensive weekend coming up next March, I know I will only have one more purchase this year. 

One.. OMG! So many choices, and only one of them will be available. 

Ah well.. it's a strange hobby.

• Agree 1

I will hold up my hands and admit I am a complete and utter sybarite. 

However, I can’t afford the Mediterranean villa, the yacht or the Ferrari and I guess I never will. I can afford the odd couple of weeks in a very nice hotel when they let me travel again, and I can also afford to dabble in a nice watch here and there.

i’m actually going to go down the road of selling a number of my watches to reduce the size of the collection to a high quality core. But I’m also on the lookout for a couple of interesting and special pieces.

• Agree 1

This feels like a confessional, I’m glad it not just me and there are like minded individuals out there that share this affliction.  I do exactly this all the time, my wife thinks it’s sad, I don’t comment on the shoe shopping she does obviously . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duncan U. said:

It is a bit mad even considering it, but  I'm starting to think the cheaper watches are more dangerous as it's easier to convince yourself that it is too much of a bargain to miss

When my daughter turned up with - in my view - about 7 loads of washing, then after I had done the first load, she put the other 6 loads in at one go.  However, I have cheerfully struggled on with the resulting good-for-nothing washer / dryer that stops half way through programmes and doesn't dry at all, for the best part of a year, and never been tempted by the above logic to purchase a new one on special offer.  Whereas if I notice the bezel on my watch doesn't line up to the nearest thou, or seconds hand not hitting the markers ....

• Like 2

I worry about myself where watches are concerned let alone what anyone else thinks!:laugh:

I’ve got my heart set on a Chronoris at around a grand at the moment and because I really need to get a kitchen fitted too in the not to distant future that seems to be working as a braking mechanism. I haven’t ordered anything watch related this month yet any way. (Waiting for a couple of straps and a watch to arrive from last month though).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bow said:

I worry about myself where watches are concerned let alone what anyone else thinks!:laugh:

I’ve got my heart set on a Chronoris at around a grand at the moment and because I really need to get a kitchen fitted too

My gutters need replacing, and I am getting a small bonus this month for my heroics at work since being freed from my kitchen office, so the question is: Gutters, or watch?  GUTTERS or watch? GUTTERS? 

Ok,

WATCH!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

My gutters need replacing, and I am getting a small bonus this month for my heroics at work since being freed from my kitchen office, so the question is: Gutters, or watch?  GUTTERS or watch? GUTTERS? 

Ok,

WATCH!

Can’t tell the time on the gutters.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Addiction is a very powerful thing. My addiction cost me about £80k in just a few years. I worked it out that I spent at least £2k on taxis. I was trapped and nothing stopped me doing the same thing over and over again. It was no longer a choice. Thankfully I am now 11 months free from the pit. At least with an addiction to  watches you have something to show at the end of the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am in a sort of good place at the moment. I recently bought my most expensive watch and for the moment it appears to have crushed the desire for another new one. I am still looking at watches (often) but the "gotta have" light in my brain is currently switched off, and I quite like that feeling.

I put it down to part guilt that I spent so much, part need to put money aside for other things, and a big chunk of being happy and content with my collection. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysAlba said:

I am in a sort of good place at the moment. I recently bought my most expensive watch and for the moment it appears to have crushed the desire for another new one.

My Tag Heuer 6000 did that for me for a long time, and if the bracelet was not integrated, or perhaps if it had a diver's extension clasp, I probably would have stuck with it.  There is some patina on the lume now, and I took it to a jeweller, who said it wasn't that bad, and I would be wiser spending the cost of a new dial on a new watch ...

And the rest, as they say.

I

3 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Over to these until midnight...

I changed my mind & swapped over to these  while watching television...

Services AERIST ( "Plain [unlumed] Dial") FOREIGN MADE

(by Oris, Switzerland, cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s)

SERVICES-AERIST-DSC_0063-26-DEC.thumb.gif.8a27a0b01d8b3fa6e7f79298eeffb2ef.gif

&

SMITHS PRS-36, GREAT BRITAIN (Peseux cal. 7040, 17 Jewels)

SMITHS-DSC_0064-26_DEC.thumb.gif.87905b6dc7fdb41a61cb8e4deab4d70b.gif

:biggrin:

•  
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I

I changed my mind & swapped over to these  while watching television...

Services AERIST ( "Plain [unlumed] Dial") FOREIGN MADE

(by Oris, Switzerland, cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s)

SERVICES-AERIST-DSC_0063-26-DEC.thumb.gif.8a27a0b01d8b3fa6e7f79298eeffb2ef.gif

&

SMITHS PRS-36, GREAT BRITAIN (Peseux cal. 7040, 17 Jewels)

SMITHS-DSC_0064-26_DEC.thumb.gif.87905b6dc7fdb41a61cb8e4deab4d70b.gif

:biggrin:

•  

Both very nice watches, the patina on the services artist is particularly appealing. Not a criticism but I feel both would look at their best on a dark brown leather straps rather than metal bracelets.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chas g said:

both would look at their best on a dark brown leather straps

Yeah, about that ...  :laughing2dw:

Anyway, I went for a hand winder in the end, with military provenance as a marque, if not necessarily this example:

weems2.thumb.jpg.27bc61acc3e9652a47805001f716900e.jpg

I love the red at 12.  The case is really small though.

No new gutters for me ha ha ha ha ha.

JJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do I need another watch?

No

Do I have a spare spot in the boxes for another watch?

Also no.

Have I ever had a strong desire previously to own a Russian watch?

Not really, no.

Have I longed for a watch outside of my dull "black, blue, silver, white" dial collection parameters (such as green, red or yellow)?

No, I'm pretty reserved and boring.

Do I have a new watch on the way at present?

Yes, I won the yin-yang yesterday.

So, anyway, I just bought my first Vostok. 'Cos it looked nice :laughing2dw:

Screenshot_20210704-103638_eBay.thumb.jpg.abfc714f6e8ba5577d706a70e80fc6ed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1