• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The quality (or otherwise) of online watch reviews?

I do dislike perfectly good YouTube watch reviews ruined by presenters/reviewers/influencers with whining voices, who haven’t bothered to learn to pronounce the names of the watches they are reviewing. :taz:

“You-liss Nardeen”…I’m looking at you! :cursed:

Sometimes I read/watch online reviews that are really good, well presented or well written, factual and informative.

Others I think are badly presented, written in a semi-literate fashion, often containing dubious information or gross opinionated hyperbole. Or, as above, presented by people with whiny voices who can’t pronounce the names of globally fêted Swiss watch brands.

So – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? What are your thoughts? Are there any review sites, reviewers or YouTube channels that you particularly like or dislike? If so, why?

Edited by AVO

I just kinda laugh when they say things like "perfect size sweet spot" when in reality it's a basic size body for that type of movement or "the bracelet quality is great considering the cost" i.e. it's a generic Chinese manufactured one with OEM clasp.

Now.. wheres my video camera..

• Like 1

I don't really get all the youtube videos, I have watched a few but just find most of them cringeworthy. They often don't have anything bad to say about a product. I guess its just not for me. But neither is social media or anything like that. Forums are about as social as I get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AVO said:

I do dislike perfectly good YouTube watch reviews ruined by presenters/reviewers/influencers with whining voices, who haven’t bothered to learn to pronounce the names of the watches they are reviewing. :taz:

“You-liss Nardeen”…I’m looking at you! :cursed:

I've been criticised for my terrible language skills many times, often by my language teachers...

I have also been picked up for saying TAG 'hurr', as 90% of the UK say it, not TAG 'Hoyer', and told it is pronounced the opposite to what I say, however I say it.  

You say Potatoes, no-one says Patatoes, but if it fits the song...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

"the bracelet quality is great considering the cost"

You will often see similar comments on this forum - "great quality for the price" etc. Why not be honest and say the bracelet feels tinny and rattles, accuracy is OK if you can live with it losing a couple of minutes a day but as it only cost £25 what do you expect. :thumbs_up:

If you want to read some very good reviews then have a look at `Honour's Topics' by @Always"watching"

Edited by richy176
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I've not found a single one of these so-called "content creators" YouTube Channels that I can watch for more than about five minutes before I feel myself slipping into a coma.  They all talk too much but say very little.

There are many written reviews that are far better.

• Agree 1

I quite enjoy YouTube watch reviews, but I just treat them as a bit of light entertainment. The ones at the less expensive end don't take themselves too seriously and they do discover some great value watches (as long as you like NH35s!). 

I was quite sad when it looked like Just one more watch had been terminated. He always finds some criticism of the watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The thing I would add, and I tend to find this in both the videos and the written reviews, is that they all use the exact same clichés and sayings, it feels like for every single watch.

I would love to take the name out of a few reviews for very well known watches and post it up to see if anyone can identify the watch being reviewed on account of it:

- being great bang for buck.

- having something that 'really makes the dial pop' 

- is a real sweet spot in terms of case size.

- makes a respectful nod to <select vintage Rolex/Omega to suit> whilst managing to be completely different and uniquely itself. 

- has this feature which is remarkable at the price point (it seldom is).

- looks perfect on my <just under 7 inch / 7 inch / just over 7 inch> wrist.

- uses a workhorse movement.

Of course, my personal viewing choices also mean it has "no bezel back play", "is just different enough to stand out against the other diver watches at this price point" (note: it isn't) and was developed by a husband and wife team. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

I recently read an online review, and watched one on the Tissot PRX. The read one was negatively critical about the watch, and it turned out the reviewer hadn't even seen or handled what he was reviewing. The YouTube review was more focused on how many expletives the reviewer could include per sentence, with viewers comments commending him on his down to earth oration. I wonder how they would react next time in WOS if the salesman greated them with " Good morning you ****. Yes the new Explorer is a **** of a watch, got enough money for one have you ? *****.

Probably the best place to look for honesty is on this very forum. :yes:

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

being great bang for buck.

- is a real sweet spot in terms of case size.

- makes a respectful nod to <select vintage Rolex/Omega to suit> whilst managing to be completely different and uniquely itself. 

- has this feature which is remarkable at the price point (it seldom is).

- looks perfect on my <just under 7 inch / 7 inch / just over 7 inch> wrist.

- uses a workhorse movement.

So you'll be "pulling the trigger on a bad boy soon" then. :bash:

I have a "brain app" for filtering "gimp talk". :laughing2dw:

I once read a review on a 36mm perpetual which referred to it as. "little puppy". Save me from these people. Please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

- being great bang for buck.

1. Doe, a deer, a female deer?

2. A rapid decompression chamber?

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

You say Potatoes, no-one says Patatoes, but if it fits the song...

Fair comment, Scott. Your videos are great; they are brief, informative, honest and illustrate the watch very well. There is no hype and you don’t whine. There is no influencer garbage and let’s face it, if it hadn’t been for the quality of your video I might not be wearing a certain rather lovely watch. :thumbsup:

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I generally think there is something for everyone in terms of you tube presenters.

I like Bark & Jack, Adrian is a nice chap, admits he's no expert but he produces some well shot and presented reviews,  probably suitable for an enthusiast rather than an expert.

Also, Frederick talks watches is entertaining and when he doesn't like something, he doesn't hold back.

If you want something different, look for watchadviser. I think the chap is Austrian and knows his stuff. He appears well connected to the big Swiss companies and you tend to get informed and factual information without the "me me me" style of presenting.

The good news with all reviews is you don't automatically have to agree with everything they say, just take from them what you want.

On 07/07/2021 at 13:45, Duncan U. said:

I was quite sad when it looked like Just one more watch had been terminated. He always finds some criticism of the watch.

What's interesting are the rumours about who was behind the spurious counterfeit claim termination of JOMW (spurious hence Jody's very rapid reinstatement).  What colossal watch brand was behind that shenanigans, I hear you ask??? :hmmm9uh: I couldn't possibly comment...

On 07/07/2021 at 19:40, AlwaysAlba said:

I like Bark & Jack, Adrian is a nice chap, admits he's no expert but he produces some well shot and presented reviews,  probably suitable for an enthusiast rather than an expert.

When he posted a YT vid in which he described the very boring and utterly pointless TPG debacle as "genius" marketing, he didn't need to add that he wasn't an expert.  I saw there was something of a backlash in the comments for saying what he did (no, I didn't comment :laugh:).

That vid has since been removed, probably because he forgot to promote his NATO straps, watch rolls and Nicaraguan coffee and chant the YT strapline for all time; "press subscribe and hit the bell icon"...:Snore:

:laugh::laugh:

Watchbox Reviews with Tim Mosso - incredible knowledge, really likeable guy. Also has a Facebook group that I’m in and he spends ages answering questions etc…just an all around top guy. 

Watch Advisor - Alexander has some great connections in the industry and brings you reviews of new models

Teddy Baldassare - nice presenting style and brings you reviews of a lot of entry level pieces 

Bruce Williams - Doesn’t do that many reviews but his presenting style is easy to get on with 

Bark and Jack - Same as Bruce 

I'll stand corrected on this one, but what do reviews actually tell you, the buyer, about what you're just about to buy. Most are like motorcycle reviews, omitting any mention of future service costs, dealer/manufacturer backup, repair turnaround time etc. Or is there something wrong with me for even considering such things ?

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I'll stand corrected on this one, but what do reviews actually tell you, the buyer, about what you're just about to buy. Most are like motorcycle reviews, omitting any mention of future service costs, dealer/manufacturer backup, repair turnaround time etc. Or is there something wrong with me for even considering such things ?

:whistle:

If I want to watch a review then most times I just mute it :laugh:

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Sizes and specs for me....its a useful guide for if it will fit my wrist and also the technology inside the watch. 

Its also nice to see videos of them, press pictures often dont show the watch off properly. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Sizes and specs for me....its a useful guide for if it will fit my wrist and also the technology inside the watch. 

Its also nice to see videos of them, press pictures often dont show the watch off properly. 

Exactly this,  I rarely watch them for the review itself. 

I like Archie Luxury a lot, for entertainment value. I don't pay attention to any reviews of anything though, all I want are dimensions and pictures/video. I find others' opinions on pretty much everything in existence utterly worthless to me.

I do, however, especially dislike ones that take too long to get to a point. Like that Gentry guy, ugh I can't stand his facade of pretentiousness. I don't care about a brand's supposed history, that literally means nothing to me at all nor should it. I'm buying a watch from today, not yesteryear. I don't care how long they've been producing watches or who's behind the design. Just shut the trap and get to the specs and wrist shots. Also elongated intros bother me, like those of urban cheesehead! You're not a celebrity, this isn't a daily show where you need to list out all the casting directors and scoring artists, etc. I don't want to see screens shots of previous reviews, just get to it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I like Archie Luxury a lot, for entertainment value. I don't pay attention to any reviews of anything though, all I want are dimensions and pictures/video. I find others' opinions on pretty much everything in existence utterly worthless to me.

I do, however, especially dislike ones that take too long to get to a point. Like that Gentry guy, ugh I can't stand his facade of pretentiousness. I don't care about a brand's supposed history, that literally means nothing to me at all nor should it. I'm buying a watch from today, not yesteryear. I don't care how long they've been producing watches or who's behind the design. Just shut the trap and get to the specs and wrist shots. Also elongated intros bother me, like those of urban cheesehead! You're not a celebrity, this isn't a daily show where you need to list out all the casting directors and scoring artists, etc. I don't want to see screens shots of previous reviews, just get to it.

I would genuinely subscribe to @JayDeep's YouTube reviews channel.

"Hi watch fans, today we are reviewing Dan Henry who kindly sent me their new watch to review.

Lets turn the camera around and take a look at the watch.

Yep, Its trash.

Don't forget to hit the like button and leave your comments at the bottom.

Join me tomorrow when I tell Seiko to go f#€& themselves if they can't align a chapter ring and make a bracelet that does not sound like 3 dried peas being shaken in an old tin can!"

:thumbsup:

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Bricey said:

I would genuinely subscribe to @JayDeep's YouTube reviews channel.

"Hi watch fans, today we are reviewing Dan Henry who kindly sent me their new watch to review.

Lets turn the camera around and take a look at the watch.

Yep, Its trash.

Don't forget to hit the like button and leave your comments at the bottom.

Join me tomorrow when I tell Seiko to go f#€& themselves if they can't align a chapter ring and make a bracelet that does not sound like 3 dried peas being shaken in an old tin can!"

:thumbsup:

I think we could collaborate on a few even. You've got me down. I'll call it Grumpy's watch nook.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I think we could collaborate on a few even. You've got me down. I'll call it Grumpy's watch nook.

I'll be Dopey, we just need the other 5 and Snow White.

• Haha 1