• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

More than the sum total of the parts

Morning all. Love wristwatches, don't have a lot of money to spend so tend to look at microbrands and value section of the market when purchasing. Just bought a Meccaniche Veneziane Rendatore in red in used condition. It doesn't have a Swiss movement ( Seiko ) and is only I.P. plated. I absolutely love the watch. On the wrist it looks a million dollars. I also own a Stuhrling Depthmaster in black and gold. Miyota movement that doesn't miss a beat. Wouldn't swap it. With both watches, what you get is more than the sum total of the parts. Best thing about this hobby (obsession)? is that you don't have to spend many thousands of pounds to own a nice time piece.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

Can't disagree with the sentiment put forth in this post. I thoroughly enjoy all my watches and can see the beauty in a £25 Casio up to watches costing £1000s. You definitely don't need to spend a lot to enjoy this hobby/obsession! There's something for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Alternatively, there are plenty of ways in this hobby to spend thousands (or hundreds of thousands) to own an ugly lump of being for the wrist (looking at you Richard Mille and Hublot).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Alternatively, there are plenty of ways in this hobby to spend thousands (or hundreds of thousands) to own an ugly lump of being for the wrist (looking at you Richard Mille and Hublot).

I should add btw, for anybody on here lucky enough to be able to purchase say an Omega or Rolex, good luck to you. I'm not envious. Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and be able to purchase my pipe dream time piece. 

2 hours ago, Calatrava said:

I should add btw, for anybody on here lucky enough to be able to purchase say an Omega or Rolex, good luck to you. I'm not envious. Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and be able to purchase my pipe dream time piece. 

I have had several rolex and omega watches and after the initial rush of buying them they dont bring any more pleasure than a much less costly watch which somehow ticks your boxes. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chas g said:

I have had several rolex and omega watches and after the initial rush of buying them they dont bring any more pleasure than a much less costly watch which somehow ticks your boxes. 

agree with chas on this ,i have several "prestige" watches but get a real buzz out of assembling a miyota powered homebuild or buying a second hand micro brand watch.the ones out of the safe get a lot more wear than those in it.

Edited by greasemonk
sspelin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1