• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Woohoo, new watch(es) day.

First up, a little later than expected due to Royal Mail taking a full week to deliver, a new diver, my first Vostok, my first yellow dial too.

a6PccLy.jpg

Now there is much I like about this, the yellow sandwich dial being the biggest plus, it really is quite striking imo.

The size is perfect for me at 39mm and the bezel is not too wide and thus eating into the face size.

The narrow band helps make the watch look and wear big, without it actually being large or overhanging the wrist, the proportions are all good.

I was a little worried about the non-click bi-directional bezel, but it is actually OK, it doesn't free wheel or easily nudge out of place, and is slim on the watch to keep the whole thing neatly tight to the wrist.

3mcdA5d.jpg

I do like the plastic domed crystal, it looks and feels right.

Overall, there is a lot I do like.

But what the flip is going on with the crown? You unscrew and gently pull out to set the watch (no jokes about me not being good at pulling out) and the wobbly thing feels like it's going to drop off.

Setting the hands feels a little loose and lucky. The signed crown and case back are nice.

The sweep seconds have a very slight stutter (unless my mincers are failing) but it is minimal and not a problem, overall it feels decent quality, but setting or winding does feel a little risky and flimsy.

JXR3Y7y.jpg

So it's not quite "from Russia, with love" its closer to "Russia, I love you, but as a friend".

Review 2 of 2 incoming......

• Like 14

The wobbly crown is a “feature” of these watches and initially quite disconcerting. There is a post that explains the technical reason for it but I’m being too lazy to find it:biggrin:

It looks great, enjoy it :thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Soldiers would 'fix' these onto their wrist permanently and have to adjust time/wind/date them on their wrist. It lead to the crown often being broken. Boctok solved the problem by having a pivot in the crown so they wouldnt break it. (This may or may not be the whole truth and nothing but the truth).

Apparently they are designed like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The second watch that the postie kindly delivered today was this Steeldive 1936 Radiomir homage.

My first California Dial, my first green dial and my second sandwich dial of the day (which might explain why I'm getting fat).

Again, I'm finding a lot to like about this, straight off the bat it just feels solid and well put together, for a watch that came in under £100 (preowned but clearly barely worn, with the box and booklets all still sealed up) this would easily pass for a far more costly watch in the hands of most people.

anj1Ylh.jpg

The screw down crown is smooth to undo and do back up and the movement is calm and responsive, plus the crown is a pretty looking thing.

The case finish is good, and the dial has a nice texture to it, the blue second hand is barely visible, but this doesn't detract for me, it's almost like it's there if you want it but only when you want to take a close look.

I like the lugs, how the come from inside the case, but didn't realise that they are therefore not going to allow easy strap changes, if I remove the case back can the lugs be removed to change straps or would I have to cut this one off to replace it????

PwkIQ9Y.jpg

I do HATE the clasp on the strap, but that will be an easier fix, the actual strap looks right for the watch and is good quality, soft but sturdy in equal measure (I too am often described as both soft and sturdy, so I'm taking this as a positive).

20210713_113728.thumb.jpg.2fdaa045dcacb4b9dc55ca1dcdb28fb7.jpg

The size is down as 42mm, and I was a little nervous that with 42 being my general upper limit (until I get my hands on @yokel's Moser!) and having 'corners' and sticky-out lugs, this would wear too big for me, but I really don't think that it does, it somehow measure to big for me but fits just perfectly.

SHhWhyl.jpg

On looks alone I'd struggle to pick between today's two additions, both have similarities (sandwich, retro, aquatic) whilst being quite different (shape, colour and style).

To simply wear, both feel solid and decent, have a good fit and (ultimately) tell the time.

The quality feels just a scootch better with the Steeldive (despite it costing me a good chunk less, although the retail is similar for each new).

So in summary, I'm going to look through the box for a less ridiculous clasp for the Steeldive strap and give that one first shot at some wrist time for the remainder of the day.

Thanks people.

• Like 10

I have often wondered about strap changes on those lugs.. they look like they are made for a bund. I've seen the inside of one of those types and the lugs could be removed, in fact, replaced by more conventional lug fittings (but I suspect that was just a feature of that particular watch).

I've avoided them because I like bracelets.

It seems like a nice watch though.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I like the lugs, how the come from inside the case, but didn't realise that they are therefore not going to allow easy strap changes, if I remove the case back can the lugs be removed to change straps or would I have to cut this one off to replace it????

Have a look at the caseback. Just where the lugs enter the case there are two screws, one for each lug. Try removing the screw with a screwdriver and see if the lug comes out. The lugs should be In two halves, so you should only need to remove one for a strap change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Have a look at the caseback. Just where the lugs enter the case there are two screws, one for each lug. Try removing the screw with a screwdriver and see if the lug comes out. The lugs should be In two halves, so you should only need to remove one for a strap change.

Boom, everyday is a school day! Thank you, I didn't spot them.

fKYZmtW.jpg

• Like 1

Both nice watches :thumbsup:

The Vostok is a good model to choose, as there is no date! Try not to be concerned about the crown, you won't break it. When hand winding, they recommend gently pulling on the crown and running it back and forth between your fingers. You should only see the stutter when winding the hands backwards, I try and avoid this although they say it is ok. The beat rate is only 5.5 a second so the second hand moves more like a vintage watch than a modern high beat movement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bow said:

The blue second hand on the Steeldive is to hide it’s presence as the originals didn’t have a seconds hand, apparently.

It works well, it disappears when glancing at the watch but as I said above, if you look at the watch, its movement is easily picked up (and pretty smooth by all accounts).

I'm enjoying wearing it greatly, but also looking forward to having a day with the Vostok tomorrow, pretty chuffed with today's haul to be honest.

• Like 1

Both very nice watches @Bricey - excellent stuff  :notworthy:

Difficult to say which I prefer, probably the Steeldive just about pips it  (so I will look forward to winning one in Roy's latest prize draw.............. :whistle: )

Wear them in health mate :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not a new watch,but have just ordered a orange Crafter Blue rubber (steady , no smirking Simkins) for me MM. 

On 13/07/2021 at 11:45, Bricey said:

Blahblah-yaketyschmakety until I get my hands on @yokel's Moser!)

Join the queueueueueue... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Also a fan of the Vostok. 

I did, after a bit of practice, get the hang of using the crown on my Amphibia, but I still sometimes have times when I seem to pull it out too far so it doesn’t wind and I just can’t get it to click. Sort of have to pull and then push at the right angle almost. I tend to just shake it for a few seconds now instead!