• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Microbrands…hit me up!

So I have been listing after a vintage inspired diver (see last post) and during my search exams aware that I was getting SO bored with seeing the same old thing repeated with slight tweaks and different branding. 

it got me thinking of microbrands…now this is a world I have never delved in - tending to keep to the safe Swiss names apart from a CW or two. 

Well I think the rabbit hole runs deep!! I have scratches the surface and am impressed with Zelos and a couple of others but I think I need some guidance @Bricey and @JayDeep teach me!! (Seriously though, recommendations well received!).

22 minutes ago, bdalg1 said:

So I have been listing after a vintage inspired diver (see last post) and during my search exams aware that I was getting SO bored with seeing the same old thing repeated with slight tweaks and different branding. 

it got me thinking of microbrands…now this is a world I have never delved in - tending to keep to the safe Swiss names apart from a CW or two. 

Well I think the rabbit hole runs deep!! I have scratches the surface and am impressed with Zelos and a couple of others but I think I need some guidance @Bricey and @JayDeep teach me!! (Seriously though, recommendations well received!).

Zelos is a very safe and trusted micro! Many testimonials to that on all kinds of forums I'm a part of. I'm a huge Farer fan as well, another very safe maker that is more of a niche brand than micro, but worth a look if you're truly looking for something different. Their color ways are phenomenal! Straton is the best race inspired watch company I can think of, and very affordable, along with Autodromo.

For budget stuff I really like Phoibos and Armida, but why force yourself to go all in micro? Have you checked out Eterna, Rado, Mido, Certina, etc yet? Lots of original designs and many affordable options as well.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Agree 2

I had a Zelos I didn't like- smooth crown was really difficult to use.  A recent CW is lovely, but Farer is a brand I keep coming back to.  Gerlach of poland were another I liked.

The microbands can be hit and miss.  McCabe watches are very good for the price.  Xeric unwearable and/or unreadable for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scottswatches said:

I had a Zelos I didn't like- smooth crown was really difficult to use.  A recent CW is lovely, but Farer is a brand I keep coming back to.  Gerlach of poland were another I liked.

The microbands can be hit and miss.  McCabe watches are very good for the price.  Xeric unwearable and/or unreadable for me.

I second G. Gerlach. And they do not come up used so those that buy them, keep them!

• Like 2

Monta is also highly regarded. Personally I find their designs the same old boring thing, but too each their own.

I also really love Detroit Watch Company watches. Really nice handsets, the best I've seen in fact, with cool dial patterns and designs.

3 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Given the BB and Bremont were your taste, did you consider a Captain Cook when looking at established brands?

https://amjwatches.co.uk/rado-captain-cook-automatic-r32505305.html

I did yes and I have had a Rado before but found it a little too blingy!!

43 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Ha I had a Xeric for about 2 days!! Actually made money on it via eBay but what a hideous thing it was!!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Me too.

I can't get past the Flash Gordon reference...  I know Ming the Merciless went on to lead the LibDems, but somehow that makes it even worse. :laugh::laugh:

And then you have RTE's infamous Dustin the Turkey with his hit album 'Bling When You're Minging' :huh:

No, sorry, my wrist will forever remain Ming-free :whistle:

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Not seen those before, very nice but all sold out.

Very nice indeed. Can't say I know much about Laventure, other than the production numbers are very, very small and the designs are very good.

• Like 1

Tacs are :hmmm9uh:hmm.. interesting.. and not too expencive. You won't find any divers. Japanese designed and manufactured/built. They are good quality if a little left field. Heres mine..large.20210607_044115.jpg.6c540c30eff013b4eb70108f6729226d.jpglarge.20210615_004210.jpg.1207b58500c58aee174447c0ff5a2b52.jpg

Orig bracelet and I've swapped it out for a chunky one (to protect the orig).

4 minutes ago, bdalg1 said:

I have looked at EB many times.....I do like some of their designs. What is the quality like?

Don't know, on my wishlist.