• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The New Pogue Inspired Seiko 5 SRPH19K1

Tazmo61

the dial in that render looks a bit meh compared to a real Pogue for me

I would prefer if they made the watch thinner and lost the exhibition case back.  These Seiko movements are not the prettiest things so why show them?

€290 doesn't seem too bad if compared against thing like Bulova

On 14/07/2021 at 13:29, scottswatches said:

the dial in that render looks a bit meh compared to a real Pogue for me

I would prefer if they made the watch thinner and lost the exhibition case back.  These Seiko movements are not the prettiest things so why show them?

€290 doesn't seem too bad if compared against thing like Bulova

Agreed, it looks pale, but maybe it's the render. Arguably the original Pogue was too saturated but if you're going to imitate something then imitate it. Also, as it's limited edition, it would be nice if it said that somewhere, 2,021 is extremely limited when you consider it got a few hundred million votes; a lot of people liked this watch.

Agree also on the caseback, especially as many will stick it on a NATO or something. Maybe, as most of the new seiko5s have exhibition (I believe) it may have been cheaper to use them due to economies of scale.

I got one, all sold out now, if it don't like it on the metal it's not like I'll lose money on it or anything!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We recognise that the easiest association of the new LE SRPH19 is with the famous "Pogue" 6139-6005, but we of the Gruppo1881 Italian forum, when we designed our entry for the Custom Watch Beatmaker competition, we had firmly in mind the strong Seiko tradition, which made great use of this color scheme in many references throughout its history: 6309-836B (the real ancestor), 7A28-7030, even a Pulsar Y563-6019, just to name a few.
All in all, we are more than happy that our design was loved so much, collected so many votes and it is met toady with so many appraisals. Having said that, this is the occasion to encourage everyone to study more the history and the stylistic language of our Brand. These are great days for Italy, indeed. Greetings from Gruppo 1881 Forum.

In-Shot-20210713-121704495.jpg

• Like 1

It seems it was part of a competition.

People were given different options, set out by Seiko and they had to pick which parts to go into this watch. This design was voted the best.

Participants of the campaign created their original Seiko 5 Sports watch by selecting and combining watch parts on the website and voted on their favourite models with theirs included in the selection. Each watch was paired with an original piece of music created by up-and-coming artists who share the same value as the brand's concept ‘‘Show Your Style.’’

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/5sports/special/customwatchbeatmaker/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Roy said:

It seems it was part of a competition.  People were given different options, set out by Seiko and they had to pick which parts to go into this watch. This design was voted the best.

Given the result, it seems like that was a complete waste of time and effort :laughing2dw:

Makes you wonder why Seiko didn't just reproduce the watch exactly the same as the original, which is a million times better than the "Pogue inspired" version. I'm obviously missing something.

6 hours ago, Gruppo 1881 Forum said:

We recognise that the easiest association of the new LE SRPH19 is with the famous "Pogue" 6139-6005, but we of the Gruppo1881 Italian forum, when we designed our entry for the Custom Watch Beatmaker competition, we had firmly in mind the strong Seiko tradition, which made great use of this color scheme in many references throughout its history: 6309-836B (the real ancestor), 7A28-7030, even a Pulsar Y563-6019, just to name a few.
All in all, we are more than happy that our design was loved so much, collected so many votes and it is met toady with so many appraisals. Having said that, this is the occasion to encourage everyone to study more the history and the stylistic language of our Brand. These are great days for Italy, indeed. Greetings from Gruppo 1881 Forum.

In-Shot-20210713-121704495.jpg

it has a pepsi bezel and a gold dial :clap:, I thought the Italians were famous for their style, @Davey P I think they missed something, not you.

43 minutes ago, nursegladys said:

it has a pepsi bezel and a gold dial :clap:, I thought the Italians were famous for their style, @Davey P I think they missed something, not you.

Indeed, the Italians are famous for their style.  But in this case the pepsi bezel and gold dial is a classic Seiko (Japanese) colour scheme used historically on a number of their watches and that was chosen (successfully) to win this particular competition.

So is it not you and @Davey P that have both "missed something"?

On 15/07/2021 at 21:19, Roger the Dodger said:

...and no chrono or inner indicator ring (as Seiko referred to it). I'll stick to my original...

Wow!!

That's a beauty Roger, I love how the inner bezel is still gold!, I think mine was supposed to be black but has faded to gery!!

NuJxdQr.jpg

John :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

Wow!!

That's a beauty Roger, I love how the inner bezel is still gold!, I think mine was supposed to be black but has faded to gery!!

NuJxdQr.jpg

John :thumbsup:

Hi John...if you're not sure about the inner bezel, you might find some info here...

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/the-seiko-6139-600x-collectors-guide/

Or here, a bit more in depth...

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/how-to-buy-a-seiko-6139-600x-chronograph-a-collectors-buying-guide.140803/

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bow said:

Always wondered why they were called a Pogue, if only I knew someone to ask about watches!:mad0218:

In reality, it's only the orange dialled version that can be called a 'Pogue', not the blue or silver versions, as this was the one worn on the Skylab 4 mission by Col. William Pogue in 1973.

A lot more here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 28/07/2021 at 13:15, Roger the Dodger said:

Hi Roger, Thanks for the links- Most interesting!

In the first link it says that Colonel Pogue went in to space with a gold (Or yellow) dialled 6139-6002, There's a chap on facey that is very vociferous that he went wearing a 6139-6004, I'm confused again as to which one he actually took with him! :blush:

He tells everyone that puts pics on the groups that theirs aren't true Pogues but his is! :laughing2dw:

Regards, John :thumbsup:

• Haha 1