• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Day/date wheel vs movement crown possition

Hey there! 

Something I've been wondering a while and have yet to stumble across an sufficient answer. Regarding the crown possition for an NH series movement. Some sellers want you to specify the crown possition when purchasing your movement. My question is, does the crown possition matter to the movement itself or just the day/date wheels? I know that it matters regarding the latter but does it actually matter to the movement itself? Specifically, if I'm planning on replacing the day/date wheels do I need a 4 o'clock crown movement or can I just purchase the appropriate day/date wheel and install it on any NH36? I suspect that is the case but I thought I ought to check- thanks!

I might be wrong but I think its the same movement but turned 30 degrees. The date wheel numbers are circular so unless the date "eye" is not at 3 o'clock and you want the numbers to be horizontal (say its at 4 or 6) then the date wheel would need changed or wouldn't depending on its position on the dial. 

If the dial date hole was at 9 o'clock (for example) the numbers would be upside down. 

The Crown position can be anywhere around the watch body (even left handed at 9 oclock) its the position of the date hole on the dial that would determine the date wheel degrees. 

If you switched a movement with a 3 o'clock date position into a 4 o'clock date 'hole' it wouldn't make much difference but I wouldn't go much more than that. The same movement could have the crown anywhere on the watch (even at 12 if desired).

I think you can get date wheels for most movements where the date printing is changed to show as horizontal depending on where your date hole is on the face/dial.

I could be wrong about all this or using the wrong terminology but having seen quite a few movements removed from the dial it just kinda makes sense. 

On 17/07/2021 at 08:45, TrumpetMouf said:

Hey there! 

Something I've been wondering a while and have yet to stumble across an sufficient answer. Regarding the crown possition for an NH series movement. Some sellers want you to specify the crown possition when purchasing your movement. My question is, does the crown possition matter to the movement itself or just the day/date wheels? I know that it matters regarding the latter but does it actually matter to the movement itself? Specifically, if I'm planning on replacing the day/date wheels do I need a 4 o'clock crown movement or can I just purchase the appropriate day/date wheel and install it on any NH36? I suspect that is the case but I thought I ought to check- thanks!

Bear in mind that the dial feet holes in the outer ring of the movement will also be in a different position if you use a 3 oclock movement in a 4 oclock case or vice versa.

• Like 1