• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

A Fossil Avia Wristwatch: Model 104102

Over the years of my Forum membership, I have acquired a few "late Avia" quartz watches made after the company was taken over by the Fossil Group in 2001. It seems that under the Fossil umbrella, there was a flurry of activity whereby a number of new Avia branded watches were produced, some of them rather nice, before the Avia name somehow became redundant and seems to have been dropped from the Fossil portfolio of active brands.

My latest watch acquisition, purchased last week for £20 from a jeweller I know well, is one of these decent Avia watches by Fossil, and I am very pleased with it, encouraged by the fact that the stainless steel bracelet fits me perfectly without needing any adjustment. I have to admit to not yet wearing the watch but that is down to a nasty fall on Friday when I broke my left wrist in two places and required a plaster cast on my watch-wearing side. I should also comment that I am writing this short topic with "two-finger" typing. Anyway, be that as it may, let's get on with the watch. 

Although the watch has an electroplated alloy case and bezel, it has a quality feel about it. The case is about 41mm (incl. the nicely proportioned crown), and the unidirectional wide bezel with it's recessed and blackened numerals/markers and lumed pip, rotates confidently.  The screw-on caseback is in stainless steel and the crystal is mineral glass and seems to be quite thick; water resistance is a stated 50 metres. One of the nicest features of the watch is the layout of the black dial, especially the attractive lumed main numerals. I have not yet opened the back of the watch to take a look at the movement but I know it is Japanese and features a ten year battery life - a little bit unusual for a purely analogue watch. 

Interestingly, although the original box did not come with the watch, the 3-year guarantee and instruction leaflet survives intact; the watch was apparently purchased online on 15 April 2008.

Before leaving you with some pics of an Avia 104102, identical to my watch if in not such good condition as mine, I will modestly direct readers who are interested in learning more about the history of Avia watches to my Forum topic on the subject entitled "Avia: Forgotten but not Gone", posted on the Forum on 7 June 2015, and accessible via the Forum Search feature. Note that the first four pictures are from ebay, and the last picture below is from Bowie, who posted it on my Avia topic thread on 1 December 2017; personal acknowledgments to him: 

s-l500.jpg.696bf019cad8b85e8cc5742f61e786c9.jpg

1414619759_s-l500(1).jpg.e48b0222cb7fd62c4f6607747566f814.jpg

1210366116_s-l500(2).jpg.89a61bfb3c85e77c070a129b52ae3e7e.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.aa9a35de2cd993d251a1a0c3765d943a.jpg

Tko7HG3l.thumb.jpg.d3fde1640183ad079b0a474fd0b117ec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1