• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Getting fidgety.

I had said my collection was finished but recently I find myself scouring the internet in search of high horology.

If anything I want to downside rather than add so I had thoughts of part exchanging my submariner against something exquisite.  Yesterday I saw a Moser I liked but by the time I did my research it had been reserved.

Also looking at Lange, Vacheron and Patek dress watches but if I do go for one I don't want any of the entry level stuff (either complication or at least a modern sized with exhibition back) the prices of which rapidly escalate into the unjustifiable.

There's a travel time in London but I have done business with them before... a gold pasha, vacheron overseas and a Rolex cellini came from there but when I viewed a JLC they were decidedly unhelpful and wouldn't drop a penny from the asking price.   I have a feeling they would want to nail me to the floor on a part exchange.

The fact is every watch I have in my collection was bought with good reason, I feel no real compulsion to let any of them go but some don't get worn much and without something going out there won't be anything coming in.

Since my flicker has gone wonky and my Instagram photos don't seem to embed I have no photos though I do have a state of the collection video which includes everything except an 18ct polerouter, platinum IWC Pilot and an 18ct JLC memovox.

If this were your collection which way would you go?

Out of boredom I sent it for review with Archie Luxury sometime back and believe it or not he didn't slate it at all.   His only major criticism was the midsized Omega seamaster but to be honest I wear that more than most and particularly when abroad since it goes swimming, in saunas and is descreet and reliable, respectable yet not so valuable to worry.

You do seem to have all bases covered with everything Swiss, except that Breguet is missing?  And possibly a Zenith el Primero

How about a pocket watch?  @Karrusel showed me a beautiful railway pocket watch at the weekend, and it was not many sheckles (hindsight tells me I should have bought it).

Then the next choice is German - Lange you mentioned and Moser, but what about Glashutte Original?  Maybe a level down from ultimate horology but very, very nice indeed.

And the elephant in the room is Grand Seiko

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

You do seem to have all bases covered with everything Swiss, except that Breguet is missing?  And possibly a Zenith el Primero

How about a pocket watch?  @Karrusel showed me a beautiful railway pocket watch at the weekend, and it was not many sheckles (hindsight tells me I should have bought it).

Then the next choice is German - Lange you mentioned and Moser, but what about Glashutte Original?  Maybe a level down from ultimate horology but very, very nice indeed.

And the elephant in the room is Grand Seiko

All things I have considered.   I have had a snowflake springdrive on my watch lists for ages.  I guess it could replace my cocktail time.  Hard to find one I can buy at a price I feel like I am getting a deal on.

Breguet type XX could be an upgrade for my Speedmaster... I can't say I would want both in my collection but am not sufficiently moved to enter a trade.   I have considered some of the other models but without having them in hand nothing has spoken to me sufficiently.

Glaschutte was also considered at the time I got my JLC master calender triple date moonphase (panodate was the alternative)  I am glad I have the JLC though it is not worn a great deal since there's always something easier to set.   Lange I feel I should like more than I do, the ones that grab me are often out if range... and Moser does speak to me but are like hens teeth.   Which is probably why the one I looked at got reserved within a few hours of me seeing it.

I am alas a ball of mixed emotions.   Maybe I have made a recovering from the watch addiction. 

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I had said my collection was finished but recently I find myself scouring the internet in search of high horology.

If anything I want to downside rather than add so I had thoughts of part exchanging my submariner against something exquisite.  Yesterday I saw a Moser I liked but by the time I did my research it had been reserved.

Also looking at Lange, Vacheron and Patek dress watches but if I do go for one I don't want any of the entry level stuff (either complication or at least a modern sized with exhibition back) the prices of which rapidly escalate into the unjustifiable.

There's a travel time in London but I have done business with them before... a gold pasha, vacheron overseas and a Rolex cellini came from there but when I viewed a JLC they were decidedly unhelpful and wouldn't drop a penny from the asking price.   I have a feeling they would want to nail me to the floor on a part exchange.

The fact is every watch I have in my collection was bought with good reason, I feel no real compulsion to let any of them go but some don't get worn much and without something going out there won't be anything coming in.

Since my flicker has gone wonky and my Instagram photos don't seem to embed I have no photos though I do have a state of the collection video which includes everything except an 18ct polerouter, platinum IWC Pilot and an 18ct JLC memovox.

If this were your collection which way would you go?

Out of boredom I sent it for review with Archie Luxury sometime back and believe it or not he didn't slate it at all.   His only major criticism was the midsized Omega seamaster but to be honest I wear that more than most and particularly when abroad since it goes swimming, in saunas and is descreet and reliable, respectable yet not so valuable to worry.

Have you looked at Dornbluth? Very classy indeed, and I don't think it hyperbole to call them exquisite. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Deals on Grand Seiko's are not easy to get - I bought a new one as it was only a few hundred more than a three year old one.

The Type XX I understand the not getting thing, but that changed for me once I got one.

The Moser reservation may come to nothing - I have people agree to buy a watch via C24 only to then send a message saying they will offer x price.  Until I say no the watch is reserved for them.  Very annoying all round, especially if the offer is 50% of the price.

a leftfield choice, and one I know nothing about, is Blancpain fifty fathoms?  Or how about a Panerai?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can't see any preowned Dornbluth in the UK and to be honest there's nothing that convinces me to buy one of those when compared to some of the other brands I love.   I have some nice dress watches so if I get another its going to have to have something pretty special or some complication I don't already have.

Panerai I just do not want.  I did peruse Blancpain and the fifty fathoms is an obvious choice but again its just not like a Patek.

Anything I buy I am really looking to buy from the UK and there are few around... I will check back on that one as maybe they won't come to terms but it's a sellers market I guess when you have the only Moser Pioneer for sale in England. 

Edited by Daveyboyz

They don't get a lot of love but a s/h Chopard LUC is right up there with and above most of the brand's mentioned in terms of the movement.

I'm not sure what I'd swap out of your collection though, especially if you still like them all.

• Like 1

Thats the main issue, I feel 16 is already too many and more than half I am absolutely apposed to parting with, those that I would part with aren't particularly commercial or easy to switch out and all have their own merit.

As Chopards go the LUCs are pretty sweet but again I am just not craving it.   Most of my watches up to now I really wanted and saved up for.   At the moment the feeling seems to be more along the lines of "I might as well buy something..."

Lovely collection of watches. The one I would never sell is the beautiful gondolo 5111 top left which is gorgeous. I can see the difficulty you are in when you already have such a desirable collection already.

My choice would be a Lange & Sohne A1 or a Patek world time in rose or pink gold.

Why not have a leisurely walk down Bond Street and see if anything takes your fancy. Your video might betray which of your collection you could part with.

Be interested to see how you get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

Thats the main issue, I feel 16 is already too many and more than half I am absolutely apposed to parting with, those that I would part with aren't particularly commercial or easy to switch out and all have their own merit.

As Chopards go the LUCs are pretty sweet but again I am just not craving it.   Most of my watches up to now I really wanted and saved up for.   At the moment the feeling seems to be more along the lines of "I might as well buy something..."

Hard to tell if you do really want a Moser (sounded like it at first) or just something new & different.

If the former, wait for the right one. If the latter, why not work through some cheaper but interesting options?

Either way, I'd be selling what I wasn't that fussed with even if they won't raise much cash.

• Like 1

All things are relative regarding "What I am not fussed with" 

I do like that Moser, at that money I better be sure I like it too... but its fantastic, I feel affinity for the brand, it has a great dial and the movement is a masterpiece.  What's more its scarce, I am hardly likely to see one in someone else's arm.   I guess the only consideration is nearly 12k for a steal watch...could get something in precious metal from an equally prestigious maker for the same money but that's only a passing thought.

16 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I guess the only consideration is nearly 12k for a steal watch...could get something in precious metal from an equally prestigious maker for the same money

Have you seen what a steel auto blue dial royal oak is fetching now?  :swoon:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Moser, of course, is Swiss, Scott (but admittedly only by about half a mile, and it certainly is "German speaking"). 

I do not subscribe to the view that sixteen pieces is excessive  --  especially at the quality level at which you operate @Daveyboyz. But maybe (as you knew I would say) a little adventure into the German language area would benefit you. I am also watching the used Moser market (for an Endeavour or Mayu) but Watchfinder seems to be influencing the used prices in the same direction that FPJ was taken. But they are lovely pieces. You could also look at MG and Lang & Heyne  --  both wonderful watches, but with softer used values (if you can find them).

Enjoy the hunt  --  it's half the fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Have you seen what a steel auto blue dial royal oak is fetching now?  :swoon:

Yes, a 612% increase on what I paid.  I love the watch but at that price I would never buy one.

Its like the nautilus and aquanaut, nice as they are its silly money when you could buy a pair of complications in precious metal for the same sort of money.

I have a little regret I missed the boat on F P Journe.    I guess I believe Moser may go the same way... maybe I have a fear of missing out again.   If I go German I think Glaschutte would be the way forwards... MG and Laing & Heyne, maybe I'll give them a second look but IDK if they do it for me.   I guess I feel more connected to some brands than others, and some models too... I can't always put my finger on why but some of these old swiss ones I have a relationship with... I am wary about starting new relationships until I am really familiar, somehow Moser feels comfortable to me because I have been watching them for a long time. 

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 2

Just to say again, what a great collection. But secondly to say that whilst you clearly have an itch, you haven't quite pinned it down and as you have a track record of being incredibly patient with the need to finally scratch that itch, I think we are in the embryonic stages of a nice leisurely thread, discussing some magnificent watches! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If there’s one thing I just can’t stand, it’s entry level Patek :biggrin:

Oh, I bought my Moser Pioneer (Cosmic Green) brand new at the start of the pandemic for £8.4k and sold it for £7.3k. Beautiful dial but a touch too big on the wrist and I just couldn’t stand the noisy movement.  Took ages to sell. Try before you buy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

If there’s one thing I just can’t stand, it’s entry level Patek :biggrin:

Oh, I bought my Moser Pioneer (Cosmic Green) brand new at the start of the pandemic for £8.4k and sold it for £7.3k. Beautiful dial but a touch too big on the wrist and I just couldn’t stand the noisy movement.  Took ages to sell. Try before you buy.

Useful info.

Now I know prices have gone upwards quite a lot during the pandemic but these figures surprise me a little given what they are asking for these currently.

Noisy movt?  Not ideal either.

I am not about to buy without trying one first since I haven't handled many mosers in my life.

There's a gold one in Nothern Ireland but thats not exactly local... and thats part of the problem.   The one I saw is an hour away which is what made it an option.

I guess I have to keep looking till I see something I can't live without.

• Like 1

I guess I got mine at a decent discount while everything was a bit scary but it did take a fair while to sell even once things had settled down. Moser might be the next F P Journe but not yet. Maybe I’ll regret selling it when they’re going for £25k in a couple of year’s time but I really couldn’t stand the rotor noise and much prefer a good solid Rolex, even if their designs are a little tame by comparison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

couldn’t stand the rotor noise 

Most odd. Just got out my Pioneer Centre Second to test, because I have never noticed a problem. With the watch to my ear (which is not how I wear it) I can just hear the rotor. Certainly does not sound worse than other autos in my collection (AP noisiest).

• Like 1

I think it’s a combination of the massive rotor and the display caseback. I even sent a video to Moser in case I had a dud but they said it was usual. Just made the watch sound tinny, which I couldn’t handle for that price. The dial was absolutely beautiful though, so a real shame.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 19:43, Bricey said:

We do like rampaging threads full of cheap tat though too. Don't we? Please?

Of course we do, but now that we have had threads on the likes of Storm and Titoni, could we not venture just slightly back to "a nice leisurely thread, discussing some magnificent watches"?

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 1