• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Use of photos

There's a problem when using third party photos to illustrate threads, in that the external site may disappear, or just take down old photos. In the case of Ebay - often the only possible source - I get the feeling their retention times have got shorter. @Always"watching" referred to this recently in a post to his Junghans stop-watch topic.

I know the technical solution is to copy the picture and store it in the gallery, but I've always linked to external images where possible, on the basis then no one can accuse TWF (or me) of stealing their photos. Just wondered @Roy, what's your take on this?

This will always happen. I do not really know the answer as it is so complicated. 
I guess the legal way is to link to the image and if it removed then that would be up to the copyright owner. I believe that linking to an image for research and none commercial reasons is legal. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-notice-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet/copyright-notice-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet

Dear @spinynorman and @Roy, hotlinking photographs apparently leads to a reduction of bandwidth for the original source whenever they are accessed by a third party. This has led some sources to remove access to pictures via direct links, which can wreak havoc with researchers like myself who need to use photographs from a number of outside sources as illustrations. The slower but more secure methods of posting pictures guarantee that the pictures are not removed by the original source but may also have copyright issues. I now avoid hotlinking wherever possible, having regard to the online opposition to the practise.

My personal take on this matter, which has stood me in good stead over many years, is that there are two main requirements if one is to use photos from sources other than oneself. Firstly, the use of the pictures should be completely and clearly a non profit-making exercise, and for educational purposes. And secondly, proper acknowledgment of the source of each picture used must be given. I believe that following these guidelines avoids the most obvious problems with copyright and is the courteous solution to what is a legal minefield.:)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1