• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Classifieds Precautions

A few security methods for extra safety.

Do not use bank transfers unless you know and trust the seller. Check the sellers feedback, posting history and length of membership  

Get a phone number, message the number and get a reply to confirm it is correct, and obtain an address, get them to send you an image of driving licence to prove address and identity. 
If it is an expensive item then meet in person or use a safe method of payment, PayPal etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Agree 2

Re. Paypal, they only generally offer protection if done as a 'paying for goods/services' rather than the 'freinds and family' route.

It means paypal fees, but offers better protection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

It's worth mentioning that once you have an address, check it out on Google earth / street view, and always get a landline number if possible. I once checked out an eBay seller, who gave me the address of a London trading standards office. Cheeky *****rd.

• Haha 5
  • Agree 2

Also, worth bearing in mind that PayPal protection on goods transfers (2.7% + 30p fee) is waivered if you pick up in person, only protects you if it is sent via a registered post/courier. So if it is hooky when you get home it’s too late.

For small items I always do cash on collection (factoring in fuel costs).

Also, I’ve not got enough posts to see the classifieds so no idea how this site runs it, but another forum I am on insists on, and polices/moderates well, a rule that all correspondences, offers, acceptances etc. must be carried out on the for sale forum post until a deal is reached, only then do you go pm to exchange details. If you also agree a deal and do not follow it through you get a 1 month ban. Sounds a bit draconian but keeps it all open, honest and above board and discourages chancers.

I've only sold a couple watches here. Most I've just given away. Never had a bad experience in any of it, or otherwise. Even disagreements here are extremely mild. I really appreciate this place and it's patrons. A very unique set of worthy chaps.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Brought & Sold a few watches on here. Tbh I prefer this over Ebay as you generally only dealing with a small number of regular contributors. 

Although Roy does not ask for any money towards site/classifieds I'd rather give a contribution here than to Ebay as this is a exclusive forum for watch enthusiasts. 

Hopefully this is a minor blip and things will run as smooth as they been.

• Like 4

I’ve only bought one watch on the forum and not surprisingly it was a flawless experience, it was from the gaffer though!

It would be a real shame should one bad experience, whether by accident or design, sully the process for everyone. I haven’t been around for very long but I can honestly say that I would have no qualms with posting a watch (except Colin, Colin the watch that is not Colin the Bricey, Colin the watch is coming with me to the afterlife) before payment was even received to all of the regular posters.

This place is solid gold as far as I am concerned and should be valued as such.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Bow said:

I’ve only bought one watch on the forum and not surprisingly it was a flawless experience, it was from the gaffer though!

It would be a real shame should one bad experience, whether by accident or design, sully the process for everyone. I haven’t been around for very long but I can honestly say that I would have no qualms with posting a watch (except Colin, Colin the watch that is not Colin the Bricey, Colin the watch is coming with me to the afterlife) before payment was even received to all of the regular posters.

This place is solid gold as far as I am concerned and should be valued as such.

I too will follow you into the afterlife, or if I get there first, haunt your home for that damn bund!!!!

• Haha 1