• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Once again.....vintage inspired micro diver

I like this one a lot. I do sometimes feel a little uneasy about reviving a defunct brand name (although Newmark are an example of it being done well), and I know some might take issue to a homage that is so unashamedly close to the original, but I'm unlikely to be affording a Blanc Pain 50 Fathoms unless I inadvertently strike oil in my 10m2 patch of back garden.

I think this looks quite lovely 

MkII_Tornek-Rayville_Front_Dial02_White_

A couple of reviews, both seem pretty positive.

https://wornandwound.com/tornek-rayville-returns-with-tr-660-dive-watch/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gearpatrol.com/watches/amp37090319/tornek-rayville-tr-660-dive-watch/

Sadly looks to be sold out already, but I will be keeping an eye out for one making it's way on to the market once they are released. 

It's produced by MKII now.

https://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/collections/ready-to-wear-tornek-rayville

Available to pre-order with a 50% deposit.

https://tornek-rayville.us/collections/frontpage/products/tr-660-pre-order

Clearly a cheap RIP-OFF of an iconic’Wordmark’ & model.

Already knowing the Rayville (wordmark) registration lapsed in 1985, when Swiss company ownership laws were amended, allowing JB to resume the title Blancpain.

Nevertheless, genuinely surprised that JB allowed this burglary to go unchallenged?

:hmmm9uh:

Can you guys really tell the difference between all these divers? 

Maybe its because I'm not too interested in this style of watch that I don't pay much attention to them but it seems to me if the names were taken from them most people couldn't tell them apart. 

Sure, you can have a multitude of bezel styles (personally I like the stark plain style like Unimatic) but all I'm seeing are 8 dots 4 stripes and bold hands (all designed for lume for deep water, I understand).

I often hear in here the statement that people like wearing a watch that they will never see another person wearing in the wild, so to speak.. but there are just so many of these..

..and to me.. they all look the same.

I just don't get it and I will probably have to buy one of these if I'm ever going to understand what the fuss is all about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I kind of agree with the above, I can think of a million and one divers which are all vaguely equivalent ranging from next to no budget to skies the limit.

Obviously the usual suspects of Omega and Rolex are popular and for those of less of a budget Certina seems to be a good option (though sadly I have never managed to get my hands on one to make a first hand appraisal)

If you are looking for a quirky name on the dial (yes I know I am quite unadventurous generally sticking with long established swiss makers) one that I wrote off was the Halios Seaforth but someone at a meet-up showed me one and I was quite impressed.

16 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Can you guys really tell the difference between all these divers? 

Mostly, yes.

16 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I just don't get it and I will probably have to buy one of these if I'm ever going to understand what the fuss is all about.

When you observe the research, time, development, quality of materials that go into creating/assembling these timepieces, you soon realise/appreciate the cost, value, attached to these.

Me thinks you need to get out more?

:)

Edited by Karrusel

1 minute ago, AVO said:

@SolaVeritate "Still, it wouldn’t do if we all liked exactly the same things, now would it?"

Thats my point though, everybody seems to be liking the 'same' things.

I will probably buy one at some point with the best auto movement, crystal, water resistance, lume etc that I can afford and use it for holidays (any activity close to water) but they seem to be an obsession.

Back in the day the flavour was chronographs but they seem more expensive and that's probably the driving force behind all the divers we are seeing. 

@SolaVeritate if you go back far enough practically the only watches you could buy or what we now call vintage dress watches. They are the only type I can ever remember my father or my grandfather wearing. originally of course dive watches, chronographs, pilot watches and so forth had a specific role to play but had to some extent been superseded by new technologies. When they were first becoming available they were, I believe, relatively expensive and hard to get hold of.

But - I think we have lost sight of the tool watch aspects of these watches. I don’t really need a pilot watch if I’m sitting in seat 5C on the Stansted to Paphos tourist bus. I don’t need 1000 metre rated dive watch to play in the top slice of the hotel pool or the sea. Almost any watch these days is primarily dictated by fashion and taste. 

Someone I know quite well who works in the watch industry was talking recently about the deformalisation of society, accelerated by the pandemic and the move to WFH. Dress watches are not selling, dive watches are. That was his message for better or worse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

Thats my point though, everybody seems to be liking the 'same' things.

I will probably buy one at some point with the best auto movement, crystal, water resistance, lume etc that I can afford and use it for holidays (any activity close to water) but they seem to be an obsession.

Back in the day the flavour was chronographs but they seem more expensive and that's probably the driving force behind all the divers we are seeing. 

Sometimes things become popular because they have an appeal that is far reaching, whether because of style/fashion or functionality.

Sometimes things become popular and grow because people want to follow the trend, or because they regularly see the thing (as its now popular and common) and it becomes synonymous or familiar to them.

Sometimes things become popular because capitalism sees that a thing is popular and so floods the market with variations on the already popular theme.

Diver watches are hitting all three of these points imo, probably in that order.

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AVO said:

@SolaVeritate if you go back far enough practically the only watches you could buy or what we now call vintage dress watches. They are the only type I can ever remember my father or my grandfather...

Going back to the 16th, 17th century, fob or pendant timepieces were primarily dress watches for the wealthy, similarly with the development of larger (17th century) pocket watches for men

Move along to Railway Time (London 1846), unified nationally 1880), necessitated reliable & accurate timepieces, ie - Tool Watches, these being Pocket Watches (mostly).

It was only during the Great War the need for men to wear a wrist watch was appreciated & accepted (as a tool watch), these being mainly adapted female fob watches.

From the 1920’s style & fashion developed rapidly throughout the industry, particularly dress watches.

The 1930’s, again particularly in the 1940’s, spawned many Tool Watch complications/innovations carrying on into the 50’s, 60’s.

We all know what happened next.

There were exceptions to the above generalisation, but it would take too long to list individually.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1