• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Panerai

Roxyben

So been thinking about making a substantial purchase and I have settled on this brand. Cant get them out of my head! Think they look great and they are so unique, no other watch looks quite like them. You can clock a Panerai from a mile off, so distinctive.  Just wondered if anyone has any experience with them or owns one? Don't think I have ever seen a Panerai posted here and I am not sure how popular they are. Not that that matters. I like them and that's all that matters.

So I have been trying to get familiar with all their models. There is so many to choose from. But think I am pretty settled on some type of Luminor. Problem is they come in all sorts of combinations, small seconds, display backs, power meters, gmt, automatics, hand wound, date, no date, sandwich dials. Just trying to hone in on which one I definitely want. Think I am veering towards a simple two hander at the moment. But there is a lot of choice, which isn't a bad thing. Although they look great on leather I will be looking to purchase one on rubber. I try and avoid leather where I can, not opposed to the bracelet either but rubber is definitely preferred. Want something quite sporty looking which the rubber provides. Another thing I think i am settled on is that I want it to be a hand winder. Ideally one of the 8 days power reserve ones. So I am slowly narrowing down exactly what I want out of a Panerai.

So in keeping with the other thread I am looking to buy a Panerai second hand, this will be my first large second hand purchase so I am a bit wary at the moment. I'm in no rush though. Just waiting for the right one to come along. I think the right one did come along last week but it got away! Cant stop thinking about that one. It was titanium as well which would be a bonus.

So any other fans of Panerai? Anyone got one, had one or handled one? I must add I have only ever seen these in pictures and in shop windows and have not tried one on yet. Might try and remedy that though in the coming weeks. But apart from that I think my heart is definitely set on some kind of Panerai.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

So any other fans of Panerai? Anyone got one, had one or handled one? I must add I have only ever seen these in pictures and in shop windows and have not tried one on yet. Might try and remedy that though in the coming weeks. But apart from that I think my heart is definitely set on some kind of Panerai.

Trying one on is a must. I always wanted one (Radiomir), but once on my wrist it sat like a monster carbuncle, and I knew I couldn't live with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My wife has a Panerai Luminor Marina 44mm, a big watch but she loves it. Several years ago,  she saw a female sales assistant in Wempe wearing one and it was love at first sight. A few months later, she got hers.

They are distinct and look really nice on the wrist. As per previous advice, definitely go and try one on, they are expensive and a big investment but worth it if you decide to buy.

• Like 1

This the one?

Panerai-LuminorBase-PAM00560-176934-1-21

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Panerai/Luminor Base/PAM00560/36958/item/176934?searchId=6a57038a-be70-408c-89ab-405704303675&rank=5

Bear in mind from Watchfinder you have a 14 day returns policy, to "try it on" plus a 2 year guarantee.

They also price match (I presume when sold by a dealer rather than hounddog1965 on ebay) and offer both part exchange and finance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

This the one?

Panerai-LuminorBase-PAM00560-176934-1-21

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Panerai/Luminor Base/PAM00560/36958/item/176934?searchId=6a57038a-be70-408c-89ab-405704303675&rank=5

Bear in mind from Watchfinder you have a 14 day returns policy, to "try it on" plus a 2 year guarantee.

They also price match (I presume when sold by a dealer rather than hounddog1965 on ebay) and offer both part exchange and finance.

That's definitely the style I am drawn to, simple and classic Panerai look. Don't think you can go far wrong with Watchfinder either. Think that model is everything I want out of a Panerai.

55 minutes ago, chas g said:

I fell in love with the look of panerai watches. I tried one one and everything changed. I dont know why but it looked ridiculous on my wrist. Friend has one and it looks great on him ?????

Yes I am definitely going to have to try one on before purchase. It may be that I feel the same way as you when its on the wrist. But for the time being I am mesmerized by the look of them!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

Yes I am definitely going to have to try one on before purchase. It may be that I feel the same way as you when its on the wrist. But for the time being I am mesmerized by the look of them!

I hope all goes well and you fall in love with a Panerai.

I once looked at a Patek nautilus and when it was on my wrist it was a complete disappointment. It was £25k and to me looked very ordinary.

As you say, you need to try one on your wrist. Dont know where you live but somewhere like watchfinder in their London showroom have loads of different watches on display but it does get very busy. At least they are used to people trying and buying or not buying so there isn't the pressure you get in a small bond street boutique. Mind you every time I go to look I invariably end up buying something. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I think I've saw one in the wild. The person was a little shy about it but I knew what it was when I glanced at it from about 5 feet. Distinctive and unusual. 

Its one of those timepieces when you know them, you see them.

TBH, I would love one. I would have to get a bracelet for it though but there's no point in me looking.. I couldn't afford it. 

10 hours ago, Bow said:

I tried a 42mm Due on and pretty much fell in love, 6.75 wrist for me too. I think that I’d have to try a 44mm before taking the plunge though.

It’s definitely on the lust once the kitchen finally gets sorted.

The due is the new range is it? With slightly small cases? Not seen too many of these about.

7 hours ago, chas g said:

I hope all goes well and you fall in love with a Panerai.

I once looked at a Patek nautilus and when it was on my wrist it was a complete disappointment. It was £25k and to me looked very ordinary.

As you say, you need to try one on your wrist. Dont know where you live but somewhere like watchfinder in their London showroom have loads of different watches on display but it does get very busy. At least they are used to people trying and buying or not buying so there isn't the pressure you get in a small bond street boutique. Mind you every time I go to look I invariably end up buying something. Good luck.

Your experience with the patek tells me I should definitely try one on. Yours could have been a very expensive mistake. I will be in London in the next few weeks so will look out for that watch finder store.

7 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

Crown assembly can put some off, I know it's not universal on their offerings but too "U Boat" for me.

Yeah, very distinctive. Part of the panerai DNA I think. Definitely a marmite feature. I love the look of it. 

7 hours ago, Sulie said:

I would if I could go for one of the below 

i fact if I’d have the guts to move my collection one and might make have the price lol .. and these are now a bad size imho .. and darn good looking  :yes:
0zxBTsh.jpg

Whilst I do like the submersible I'm wanting something without a divers bezel. Have a Seamaster that covers that base, although the submersible is very different to other bezeled divers!

6 hours ago, chas g said:

The chase is always exciting

Then there is the price creep. You see a watch you like at the right price but the one next to it is just that bit nicer and it's only a bit more expensive. Repeat. 

Repeat

Hey presto, just spent a lot more than you planned but you only live once :yes:

That price creep actually happened to me last week. I had seen the one! Delayed on it. Then it was gone. The same watch I see going now for £1000+ for what I saw it for. But I am enjoying the chase at the moment and I am in no rush.

4 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Would be too big for me.

Before you shell out several thousand on a real one, I would buy a crappy homage and wear it for a couple of weeks. Then if you find it far too big to get in your cuff, or keep bashing it into furniture, you can reconsider with minimal loss. And you will have a crappy homage for gardening etc. 

Yes a very distinctive watch. I think I may have seen a couple out in the real world. Quite an easy watch to spot! 

4 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Would be too big for me.

Before you shell out several thousand on a real one, I would buy a crappy homage and wear it for a couple of weeks. Then if you find it far too big to get in your cuff, or keep bashing it into furniture, you can reconsider with minimal loss. And you will have a crappy homage for gardening etc. 

Yes this is something I have considered and may carry through on yet. Not sure how I feel about wearing a homage though. But it could work as it would give me a good idea of how it wears.

• Like 2

Have to say that I like Panerai's too, unfortunately I've no spare funds for one & have no wish to get into debt. As most have said I'd definitely try one on before buying & getting a cheap homage isn't a bad idea at all.

My friend looked at them, he has similar sized wrists to me (6.75") & said the 42mm ones were fine but the 44 (& above) were just too big for him. I think he decided the outlay was just too much for one watch though & has bought himself a couple of Oris models instead ( basically two Oriseses for the price of one Panerai).

Hope you find something soon & would be interested to hear what you think of it :thumbs_up:

Not really took much notice of this make, but the 38mm Piccolo Due on the bracelet looks quite nice with the deep blue dial, only thing is the low water resistance figure (30m) and not sure how the movement will stack up against other similarly priced watches.

https://www.panerai.com/fi/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor-due/pam01123-luminor-due---38mm.html2151180.png.transform.global_square_imag