UK Watch Forum banner

Holiday watch.

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Littlelegs 
#1 ·
So when off on holiday the most important thing to consider is which watch to take and how many? Obviously! Other considerations like packing clothes and other important things like documents and passports come a distant second. I can't be the only one mulling over which watches to utilise on the run up to a holiday.

So how do you consider which watch to take and how many? Do you consider the location? How risky a ace it is? What you might be doing on holiday? Maybe you just have a holiday beater that you always travel with? How do you take your watches, maybe a watch roll or just chucked in the suitcase.

I'm off to mull next week so I will probably take three I reckon. It would be nice to take just one but my activities I do require more than one. My fenix 5 for running, which I do every day, I will take one of my g shocks for the other wrist whilst out running. Then the third watch will most likely be some kind of diver. Something nice to wear that can get wet as I will most likely be swimming and using my paddle board . This would be worn also in the evening at the pub and so on.

So just a discussion about the thought process that goes into what watches you take travelling with you and how one decides which ones to take.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I'm on holiday, I like to enjoy myself, so I wear my favourite clothes and will just choose the watch I most want to wear. I don't have many watches and the three or four I would take are all water resistant to at least 200m.

Yesterday I was browsing the web (always dangerous) and found a Casio digital with tide indicator. That would be really handy in Cornwall :thumbsup: . It was the W-S210H and is only £45 and doesn't even look too ugly (for a Casio :laughing2dw: )

#8 ·
When I'm on holiday, I like to enjoy myself, so I wear my favourite clothes and will just choose the watch I most want to wear. I don't have many watches and the three or four I would take are all water resistant to at least 200m.

Yesterday I was browsing the web (always dangerous) and found a Casio digital with tide indicator. That would be really handy in Cornwall :thumbsup: . It was the W-S210H and is only £45 and doesn't even look too ugly (for a Casio :laughing2dw: )
It's funny you mention the tide indicator g shock, I also have been looking to get one of those but from the gbx-100 series. After the one in white. Not sure why I haven't got it yet, but I keep looking anyways.

@AVOthanks for the informative reply. Obviously something you have considered a lot being well travelled.

Yeah on the Isle of mull I should be safe. Doubt I'm going to get knocked on the head and my g shock liberated from me!

Always the same for me. Seamaster.

Its waterproof and durable, can be worn with anything, is respectable but not so expensive I worry. It's the perfect holiday watch IMO.
Good choice. I have no problems taking mine anywhere, usually subtle enough to fly under the radar in most places. I would however be quite upset if anything did happen to it. Expensive enough in my opinion.

Quite simple for me...I never take one. :thumbsup:
Really? Just cant imagine any watch enthusiast leaving home without one, nevermind going in holiday.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ah, a perennial WIS question. I used to agonise over this. What to travel in? Diver/beater for the pool? Something smart for the evenings? I have, in the past, taken up to about 4 watches with me and rarely worn some of them. Rethink!

Extra watches are a risk. In some resort towns your Rolex/Omega or whatever will be spotted. (@Roxyben - you might be OK on Mull!) Do you trust the hotel safe? How do you carry them? Not in checked baggage for sure. Carry on bag, then. Yes, but they take up space, are separated from you in security (briefly) and may come into contact with phone/iPad in a bag...etc....etc.

Solution. One watch. On the wrist at all times.

I went on five holidays with the CW Trident GMT. Great all-rounder, performed brilliantly, but in the end I had to admit it was just a bit too big and heavy, so I sold it.

View attachment 25088

I haven't travelled since Christmas and New Year 2019/20 in Cyprus, but next time I go away (hopefully Greece in Sept/Oct) I will take the MeisterSinger Metris. Cool, blue, 200m WR, strap-adaptable. Perfect for a chillax holiday. After all, I only need a vague idea of the time. Breakfast time, beer time, lunch time, siesta time, gin time, dinner time, stagger home time...

View attachment 31058

I'm hoping to go to Cyprus for my usual Xmas/NY jaunt, having missed it last time. In which case it will be very likely to be the UN. Proper travelling watch.

View attachment 29385

Job done!

Attachments

#6 ·
Always the same for me. Seamaster.

Its waterproof and durable, can be worn with anything, is respectable but not so expensive I worry. It's the perfect holiday watch IMO.

Reactions: AVO
#13 ·
Not being a collector i dont have many to choose from, i just take one watch and alwas have irrespective of destination, although metal or rubber straps are more versatile if its hot and you`re going to get sweaty, a diver on rubber is a good choice as it covers most scenarios.

#17 ·
Caveat: SWMBO and I take European holidays for the most part (mostly France and Germany). And we drive; tending to stay at "nice" (but not large) hotels at several locations.

For that sort of holiday I tend to take four watches (three on the Wolf roll, and one on the wrist). I take nice ones (maybe because, at least IMHO, almost all of them are "nice").

I tend not to worry about them getting stolen for four reasons:

-- Whilst I like a glass or three of wine, I don't get blotto. Much better things to do on holiday.

-- I wear "under the radar" watches. I'm fortunate not to like Rolex, Hublot, Richard Mille or Breitling.

-- I don't reckon that the chances of having a watch stolen on holiday are much greater than having the ones I leave behind purloined in my absence.

-- And, very importantly, this is a hobby. If a hobby is going to cause worry, it's the wrong hobby.

Like @Davey P though, for skiing holidays (lots of hoi polloi + impact risk) I tend to wear the bomb-proof Rolex 17000, and take only one better watch for the evenings.

Few holiday pics . . . .

Three from France

w9ZoYo6.jpg

fn8kN3C.jpg

EgAxCKV.jpg

One from Germany

ep3DVKC.jpg

#21 ·
I'm not over worried about the crime element , hoping to go on a cruise from a UK port sometime soon so i will take the big hitters and maybe a G shock for any stupid/brave/foolish activities i may indulge in , so the same as has been said already, 3 in a Wolf roll and one on the wrist , have just come back from my more usual type of holiday nowaday's , a week away with friends/family in the motorhome around Duxford/Huntingdon/Ely and Cambridge(Speedmaster Moonwatch) and a 5 day tour around St Davids /Cardigan Bay/Camarthen on my Motorcycle with Bil/wife(Submariner) Moho's are chronically insecure so i only take one and it never leaves my wrist(i now have a spare Casio beater that i leave in there all the time) then motorcycles are pretty insecure so same deal , just the one and never take it off.

#32 ·
In normal times, and for trips in the UK, I take my garmin for running, although that's been off the agenda since January. :(

I take my seamaster for everyday wear including the beach, bodyboarding in the sea with junior and evenings out. It does have sentimental value but is insured.

I then usually take the 5610 Gshock for any dangerous activities I may partake in.

For trips abroad I'd take the 5610 or the old beater gshock glide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.