• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Holiday watch.

3 hours ago, yokel said:

Caveat: SWMBO and I take European holidays for the most part (mostly France and Germany). And we drive; tending to stay at "nice" (but not large) hotels at several locations.

w9ZoYo6.jpg

fn8kN3C.jpg

EgAxCKV.jpg

One from Germany

ep3DVKC.jpg

But you do have to take those off to go swimming. Or at least I would.

I prefer a couple of good solid do-anything beaters a la CWC or Seiko, but then I have young-ish kids and posh dress watches don't work. Plus, I wouldn't take my kids anywhere posh anyway due to the fact they're cheeky little bar stewards :laugh:

Edited by it'salivejim
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

But you do have to take those off to go swimming. Or at least I would.

No. I come from the school that thinks it mad to get any mechanical timepiece (at least one that you don't regard as disposable) wet. I wouldn't so much as wash up in a submariner :huh:

Risk is assessed with reference to the style of the hotel. Watches are normally left in the safe whilst using the pools. We swim in the sea only very occasionally indeed; with the watch left locked in an otherwise empty car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yokel said:

No. I come from the school that thinks it mad to get any mechanical timepiece (at least one that you don't regard as disposable) wet. I wouldn't so much as wash up in a submariner :huh:

Aurélie the French maid does the washing up. She doesn't wear a Submariner. In fact, come to think of it.... :swoon:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, yokel said:

Albeit reluctantly, I have to agree with you on this.

For many years I used to swim in the sea wearing my Datejust. It was fine, never leaked and it was great to use the watch for what it was designed to do. Over the years, the servicing cost rose several hundred percent and I realised that should it leak, I would be paying a four figure fee for repair.

Consequently, I retired it from beach duties and now use much cheaper watches for that purpose. It just isn't worth the risk, but I now hardly wear the watch and find I get more pleasure from my Vostoks.

There is something sad about a Submariner that never sees water, it is like a racing car that is never driven in anger, because it has become too valuable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan U. said:

There is something sad about a Submariner that never sees water, it is like a racing car that is never driven in anger, because it has become too valuable.

I've got trainers, but never run.

Divers that never get wet (bar a splash from hand washing)

Have a gazillion TV channels that I never watch.

My life is full of redundancy.

17 minutes ago, Duncan U. said:

There is something sad about a Submariner 

I agree. For most people it is just a "themed" watch  --  and IMHO it's not even a pretty one.

Reaches for flak jacket and tin hat

• Like 1

In normal times, and for trips in the UK, I take my garmin for running, although that’s been off the agenda since January. :(

large.03F85A91-D0B4-4203-8A16-E84E7AE6C15D.jpeg.529b20005c4951c945c1552769dc13cc.jpeg
I take my seamaster for everyday wear including the beach, bodyboarding in the sea with junior and evenings out. It does have sentimental value but is insured.

large.40061449-6054-434B-933F-218437333000.jpeg.d7582e7f44803057dd8c3e66b152027f.jpeg

I then usually take the 5610 Gshock for any dangerous activities I may partake in. 
large.CF80CAE8-649E-4E53-95EF-AFDD43CA80BA.jpeg.6d322faff6131bf98ba188ac2d6c93ed.jpeg

For trips abroad I’d take the 5610 or the old beater gshock glide.

large.image.jpeg.7ec46630e68bbd7cf1f8135b7f33fd4d.jpeg