• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

IWC

Not considered an IWC before but this one seems to tick most of the boxes - manual wind but with 8 day power reserve and in rose gold with a 2 year warranty from Watch Club who I have done trades with before. Bit dressy for me but nice and big which might compensate.

Interested in your views regarding IWC Schaffsomething.

https://www.watchclub.com/iwc/portofino/hand-wound-8-day-powerreserve-ref-iw510104-year-2013

The first photo is poor but the following ones look ok

Edited by chas g
Added a sentence
  • Like 1

Or be more realistic and put my name down for a rolex which I could wear every day. Cheap servicing, robust and very good resale value. I know they are chalk and cheese but I like both. Heart says IWC Head says Rolex. If I went for the rolex I would go for the 41mm.

u0faqownt2k61.jpg&xguid=01FA20P3WKB2FXGH

• Like 1

The Portofino you linked is beautiful, expensive and bloody massive! 

Nothing wrong with the DJ, a good choice of watch. Personally I would look at the 40 mm Portofino in stainless steel with a black dial.  Classically elegant, cheaper than the Rolex, and flies nicely under the radar.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AVO said:

Nothing wrong with the DJ, a good choice of watch. Personally I would look at the 40 mm Portofino in stainless steel with a black dial.  Classically elegant, cheaper than the Rolex, and flies nicely under the radar.

Thank you. The attraction of the IWC is that's in rose gold. I need to get on the tube and have a look at it. 

7 minutes ago, AVO said:

Yep. You are right the rolex is much more practical and affordable.

I wish I had taken your advice last time and bought the calibre de Cartier instead of the breitling superocean. I could have spent all day admiring the beautiful blue cabachon in the crown 

• Like 1

It's personal taste really, but that IWC has too much on the dial for me. Loose the date window and the fuel guage, :bash: and it becomes a classic watch. The Date Just is, just what it is. It won't go anymore in or out of style/fashion.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It's personal taste really, but that IWC has too much on the dial for me. Loose the date window and the fuel guage, :bash: and it becomes a classic watch. The Date Just is, just what it is. It won't go anymore in or out of style/fashion.

Thanks. I think you are right. I need to make the sensible choice. Still going to have a peep at the IWC though :yes:

An option I hadn't considered with all the benefits but discreet.

IMG-20210724-WA0006.jpg

11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Absolutely re personal taste - I actually really like the busy dial of the IWC - but I get what you mean about classic watch. If that’s going to be my main (only?) expensive purchase, I don’t think I’d go for this IWC.

But if I was minted, had plenty of watches already in this sort of price bracket or could get more in the future without much fuss, and was then basing my choice purely on which of the two I liked the most, IWC easy for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a simple rule.   Let someone else lose their money.

IWC is a very well respected brand, I rate it well above Rolex but clearly Rolex is easier to sell and holds its money better even if datejusts aren't the best example of this.    Therefore to buy a new Rolex is not a crime but to buy the IWC new is quite frankly idiotic when you could save considerable sums buying the same thing in mint condition with a full set pre-owned.

The advertised prices are several thousands less and no doubt you can negotiate a discount on this brand.

I always consider resale, not because I intend to flip but I know its always a possibility I will want to trade something in against something else and I want the options.   I therefore got Rolex before IWC and when I did get an IWC it was a vintage platinum pilot, a very rare but unsaleable watch that I accept I am likely not to be able to return my money on... it does however have an amazing movement and I really like it for its quality and subtlety.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, chas g said:

Heart says IWC. Head says Rolex.

I'd normally say, go with your heart  --  unless that is you are a serial flipper. If you collect to wear, you should love them.

HOWEVER : at 45mm the IWC, although very beautiful indeed, is goddamned gigantic for a dressy watch. Unless you are a veritable man-mountain I would recommend making very sure it is comfortable on your wrist before committing that sort of cash.

Oh, and  --  DJ: meh (IMVHO).

2 minutes ago, yokel said:

I'd normally say, go with your heart  --  unless that is you are a serial flipper. If you collect to wear, you should love them.

HOWEVER : at 45mm the IWC, although very beautiful indeed, is goddamned gigantic for a dressy watch. Unless you are a veritable man-mountain I would recommend making very sure it is comfortable on your wrist before committing that sort of cash.

Oh, and  --  DJ: meh (IMVHO).

Thanks. I am going to go for the Rolex OP datejust. The IWC is beautiful but I think the novelty would wear off and I bet it would be difficult to move on. I will declare an interest in the rolex and see how I get on. Very disappointing to see so many 2021 unworn rollies in dealers at very inflated prices. Maybe I will buy a private preowned watch.

5 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

There is a simple rule.   Let someone else lose their money.

IWC is a very well respected brand, I rate it well above Rolex but clearly Rolex is easier to sell and holds its money better even if datejusts aren't the best example of this.    Therefore to buy a new Rolex is not a crime but to buy the IWC new is quite frankly idiotic when you could save considerable sums buying the same thing in mint condition with a full set pre-owned.

The advertised prices are several thousands less and no doubt you can negotiate a discount on this brand.

I always consider resale, not because I intend to flip but I know its always a possibility I will want to trade something in against something else and I want the options.   I therefore got Rolex before IWC and when I did get an IWC it was a vintage platinum pilot, a very rare but unsaleable watch that I accept I am likely not to be able to return my money on... it does however have an amazing movement and I really like it for its quality and subtlety.

The IWC is £10,500 which in thought wasnt a bad price but if I sold it on later I would probably lose a shed load on it. It's a beautiful watch but I will go for a rolex as a safer option.

2 hours ago, chas g said:

The IWC is £10,500 which in thought wasnt a bad price but if I sold it on later I would probably lose a shed load on it. It's a beautiful watch but I will go for a rolex as a safer option.

There's one in Fareham for £8295 with box and papers, and one in Oxford for £4995 without papers, one in Hoxton with full set £7995 and thats before negotiation... why would you pay £10,500?

Another with papers and no box £6,450 in mayfair...

pre owned you can get a gold one for £10,500 from Mayfair

and £3,498 with box and papers from the states!

Theres a brand new one in the 45mm size on Chrono for £6,129   in london....   so it appears after 15 minutes looking £10,500 is not a good price.

38 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

There's one in Fareham for £8295 with box and papers, and one in Oxford for £4995 without papers, one in Hoxton with full set £7995 and thats before negotiation... why would you pay £10,500?

pre owned you can get a gold one for £10,500 from Mayfair

and £3,498 with box and papers from the states!

Theres a brand new one in the 45mm size on Chrono for £6,129   in london....   so it appears after 15 minutes looking £10,500 is not a good price.

Thank you. It appears that I am looking in the wrong places. I usually look at watch club, watchfinder an watches of distinction. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 19:13, Daveyboyz said:

Thank you for prompting me to look on chrono24. I would never buy from abroad so I clicked on uk dealers on the site and it opens up all their stock to view. Absolutely brilliant. As you will have deduced I am pretty hopeless when it comes to the internet. I have already found a dealer who is selling rolex at more realistic prices :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, chas g said:

Thank you for prompting me to look on chrono24. I would never buy from abroad so I clicked on uk dealers on the site and it opens up all their stock to view. Absolutely brilliant. :thumbsup:

Recently had my first two adventures with C24  --  very pleased.

I have no problem with buying from Germany, Holland, Switzerland  --  but, if you use a UK dealer there are no questions about VAT.

I wrote up my experience here.

5 minutes ago, yokel said:

Recently had my first two adventures with C24  --  very pleased.

I have no problem with buying from Germany, Holland, Switzerland  --  but, if you use a UK dealer there are no questions about VAT.

I wrote up my experience here.

Thank you @yokel I will get my laptop fired up tomorrow and read your experiences.