• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Old Watch Sunday (made before 1990)

Not special enough to get in a mini collection; not valuable enough to get a spot in secure storage; not automatic, so doesn't live on a winder ...    ironically this 'lost soul' keeps a lot of 'better' watches off my wrist.

IMG_20210725_081445054(1).thumb.jpg.7fed1a9c3dd4207da98611a6d687410f.jpg

No 'fauxtina' required.

Lorsa Cal. P75

IMG_20210724_221901184(1).thumb.jpg.61aec408d69f0be281aaee9dd77d8df8.jpg

Have a great day.

JJ

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Grandad's Garrard PW, given to him for 25 years service on the Haines Hill estate in Hurst, Berkshire in 1954. The watch, dated 1845, was already over 100 years old when he received it.
PW Garrard. (1845)

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

This is so beautiful.. and thank you for sharing this and it’s story .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

GDR Ruhla mechanical watch. Not really sure about the date of manufacture but I would guess around about 1960/70. Certainly before the wall came down. Picked this one up on eBay recently for a fiver. Seems to keep pretty good time. Whether I keep it remains to be seen but it is one of those iconic Eastern European watches.1082BF66-DBFA-4231-8BB6-D4B932C39FBC.thumb.jpeg.610a984feaf58d142241db759353bd22.jpeg213AF577-0424-4C6A-9BAF-8307E14A93EF.thumb.jpeg.1b143220a1b67889e93c626df51b1efb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

1914 Elgin 15 Jewel 

Have a great Sunday guys!

IMG_20210328_150254622 (1).jpg

20181219_122845.jpg

It's a beautiful watch. I hope you dont think I am being rude but I dont feel the strap does it justice. Sorry for all the questions but what diameter is the case? Also do you know when the "lugs" were added. Finally, did the watch originally have a front cover? Your watch has sparked a real interest in me that perhaps I should look for a small gold pocket watch and modify it for the wrist. Exciting :thumbsup:

Ps I am never quite sure what these emojis are supposed to mean. I sent what I thought was a thumbs up to someone which turned out to be a one fingered offensive gesture 

Edited by chas g
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, chas g said:

I hope you dont think I am being rude but I dont feel the strap does it justice.

I'm assuming it's one of David Boettcher's from vintagewatchstraps. So I'm just coming out in sympathy. :laugh:

large.D686C2F4-EE30-43C8-88A4-6490996C6E49.jpeg.d13cc6314bab0fc4e27a07ad4f23ebf5.jpeg

2 hours ago, dapper said:

Wg06ehS.jpg?2

That's intriguing, do you know anything about it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

1914 Elgin 15 Jewel 

Have a great Sunday guys!

IMG_20210328_150254622 (1).jpg

20181219_122845.jpg

Lovely!

Great picture BTW:thumbs_up:

17 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I'm assuming it's one of David Boettcher's from vintagewatchstraps. So I'm just coming out in sympathy. :laugh:

large.D686C2F4-EE30-43C8-88A4-6490996C6E49.jpeg.d13cc6314bab0fc4e27a07ad4f23ebf5.jpeg

Great piece!

‘Also’ presented beautifully on an contemporaneous wrist strap!:notworthy:

:biggrin:

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, chas g said:

It's a beautiful watch. I hope you dont think I am being rude but I dont feel the strap does it justice. Sorry for all the questions but what diameter is the case? Also do you know when the "lugs" were added. Finally, did the watch originally have a front cover? Your watch has sparked a real interest in me that perhaps I should look for a small gold pocket watch and modify it for the wrist. Exciting :thumbsup:

Ps I am never quite sure what these emojis are supposed to mean. I sent what I thought was a thumbs up to someone which turned out to be a one fingered offensive gesture 

Hi @chas gthis watch was always a wrist watch and is a style that was worn during the first world war. The strap is a similar style to WW1 straps, and the lugs were always on this case as it is not a converted pocket watch. It is approx 33mm diameter and the movement is a size '0's which is the size that was generally used for mens watches watches at the time...anything smaller probably indicates that it was a ladies fob watch.

These older watches a great as the have so much history attached to them, but be careful if you plan to get one with the radium paint on the hands and dial as these are still very much radioactive  (half life of around 1600 years) as well as giving off radon gas.

If you are interested in this type of watch there are plenty of more knowledgeable folk on here than myself that could give you some advice, however I would suggest buying a cheap old movement to tinker about with prior to buying something decent just so you know your way around.

Thanks again for your interest in my watch, I do have a soft spot for it.

p.s. Don't worry about the emojis, I'm really not easily offended :biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Lovely!

Great picture BTW:thumbs_up:

Great piece!

‘Also’ presented beautifully on an contemporaneous wrist strap!:notworthy:

:biggrin:

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

As far as the watch strap goes it is as @spinynormansuggests a David Boettcher strap.

A watch this age deserves a decent strap, and I love David's straps as much as I love his website...I can't begin to tell you how much that website has helped me.

I also had a good few conversations with Stan Czubernat (author of Elgin Watches of the Great War) regarding this watch as I wanted to know if the dial, and hands had been changed. Thankfully he told me it was original spec, and told me what it was worth (which I hadn't expected or requested)

Waltham, and Elgin made some great looking watches back then.

Hope you've had a great Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

Not much., I bought it a number of years ago on ebay. After a service it proved to be a good, reliable, runner with the loudest tick I've ever heard on a watch. It's quite big for a trench at 39mm and has heat blued hands & enamel dial.

Here are a couple of shots of the movement:

pramBud.jpg?1

PiEbPN9.jpg?1

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

That strap looks a lot better in.my opinion