• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sagara watch - info please.

Eaglegale

As well as my mysterious Apero watch I find myself with a Sagara watch.  Looks 1940's to me.  Swiss made with a ca. 25mm diameter 15-jewel movement.  There's no maker's stamp as far as I can see, but there's what looks like an added later "W" or "M" engraved on the movement.

The case back is pitted/textured to the extreme and looks like the dial of the Grand Seiko Snowflake on steroids!  The inside of the case back has lots of servicing marks.

Winds and runs smoothly.

Any thoughts about this one?

Sagara-watch-2.jpg

Sagara-watch-3.jpg

Sagara-watch-1.jpg

Sagara-watch-4.jpg

Sagara-watch-5.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting piece, yes, I would agree 1940’s, probably?

Sagara is the registered Wordmark of Ralco SA, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, registered in 1925.

Movement appears to be an AS (Schild) variant?

A clean, new crystal (service?), would certainly improve it if it were mine.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with my colleague Karrusel on the likely date of your watch, therefore giving us a total of three concurring opinions. The watch has evidently been through a long and somewhat hard life, though it does seem to have been serviced/repaired a number of times over that period; the corrosion on the caseback is truly something to behold. If you do decide to replace the crystal yourself then be very careful not to disturb what appears to be radium lume on the hands and numerals; inhaling or otherwise ingesting radium lume is not a healthy option.:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

@Eaglegale

The 'M' stamped on the movement has kept me thinking & Honour's @Always"watching" response above rekindled my memory of previous postings/topics, here and elsewhere, of the MOVADO connection...

On 31/01/2019 at 16:48, Always"watching" said:

Ralco watches do indeed have a link with Movado, and were manufactured by that company. The Ralco name derives from the first letter of the names of members of the Dittesheim family, who owned Movado - Roger, Armand and Lucien. Your two Ralco watches are in a style that had a long life which makes them hard to date exactly but I would place them in the mid-late 1940s.

Ralco as a brand name was in use from a relatively early date (perhaps about the mid-1930s), as is shown by extant watches illustrated online, and the name was still in use in the 1960s. I haven't sufficiently explored Ralco to enable me to provide more details about the history of the brand, but both gents' and ladies' models were branded Ralco, as were both automatic and hand-wind watches. Some of the watches include a stylish logo on the dial in addition to the brand name - resembling a head-on view of an airplane or a wide shallow "V" and small circle.

I should just note that there is apparently information about Ralco watches contained in van Osterhausen's book on Movado.

Stop Press: I have just discovered the following information:  On Saturday 11 October 1941, a U.S. Federal trademark registration was filed for the word mark RALCO. The trademark was owned by Movado Watch Agency, Inc, and received registration on 17 March 1942. It expired on 10 January 1986.

Some history of MOVADO...

https://italianwatchspotter.com/movado-history/?lang=en

HTH

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2