UK Watch Forum banner

Vintage watch advertising

6K views 88 replies 24 participants last post by  animalone 
#1 ·
Apologies if there is already a thread for this, I did look (very briefly :whistle: ) and didn't see one.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to see some of your favourite, unusual or interesting old watch adverts.

I'll get the ball rolling with this slightly creepy Breitling effort that I found in a watch mag a couple of years ago

0z09wk1.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
What a great idea for a thread, or perhaps even a sub-forum. I don't know how @Roy would feel about the sub-forum idea but it would make it easier for readers to separate out specific brands they are interested in. I suppose there might be copyright questions to consider as well if members start posting vintage ads without acknowledging sources. :)

#3 ·
. I suppose there might be copyright questions to consider as well if members start posting vintage ads without acknowledging sources. :)
That's a fair point, the picture I posted came from a Europastar magazine.

If this grows out beyond the thread and people want to organise by brand, we could always post them in the members owners clubs

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Timex advert

View attachment 33126

I've no idea where it came from originally, I saw an ebay advert selling it once and just found it on Pinterest of all places through Google.
I think back in the 60's Timex did a whole advertising campaign called Torture tests where they would do things like tie the watch to the prop of an outboard motor.

"Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking" or something like that

#18 ·
I love the art work on this old page from a 1920-21 catalogue.

I still find it interesting that people would pay to have their watches set to the correct time
We do take having the correct time always available, something we now really take for granted. The BBC time signal didn't come into effect until 1924 and the phone 'pips' not until 1936, so prior to that it was a question of finding a Regulator to sync your watches and clocks to. Time is, and always has been, 'money' ... :)

#24 ·
This watch was so far ahead of its time (1916) it's surprising that so few history books talk about them.
What a wonderful acquisition, am I envious?...just a lot!

It surprises me also that history doesn't give, deservedly, proper recognition to this innovation.

Similarly, concepts, inventions by the likes of Robert Hooke (Lever escapement), John Arnold (Tourbillon).

:thumbsup:

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Watch Font Poster Hat Suit
Jaw Font Material property Newspaper Poster

Poster Publication Font Newspaper Newsprint
Font Motor vehicle Poster Illustration Art

Watch Hand Analog watch Product Sleeve

Poster Hat Font Advertising Publication

:thumbsup:​

Attachments

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
#38 ·
#42 ·
Bullseye'esque

in four - teasmaid

in five - his and her's Omega watches

in six - a BMX

etc.etc.

I do like the old online Argos catalogues :thumbsup:

Reactions: RTM Boy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.