• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Incoming (mid range) - Hamilton

Not something for my budget box, but not something for best either, but I got a fine deal on a nearly new Hamilton.

It will be my first ever aluminium case watch, not sure that I'm taken with the idea, but thought I'd give it a try.

This should arrive Friday (as a treat after my op tomorrow)

h80485835.png

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-gb/khaki-pilot-pioneer-aluminium-auto-2.html

The right up is fairly positive from W&W back in 2015, and the price was very good, so took a punt.

https://wornandwound.com/review/hamilton-pilot-pioneer-auto-aluminum-review/

I've had a Khaki field and a couple of Jazzmasters previously, and found them to be solid quality wise, anyone had experience of this model before?

Really fighting against the urge for a Marloe Coniston at the moment, should clear a few out before bringing any more in (hence the flipper pic as my new symbol), but.......its difficult. :laughing2dw:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duncan U. said:

That's a nice looking watch :thumbsup:

I presume it has a tough coating protecting the aluminium. I can see why you're tempted by the Marloe, I really like the steel one.

Good luck with the operation :)

Apparently

“hard anodization” increases the durability of the case’s surface, protecting from light bangs and scratches. 

52 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Hamilton looks very nice, I like that a lot.  Your definition of "mid range" is a bit different to mine though... :laughing2dw:

Good luck for tomorrow mate :thumbsup:

You could easily pay what it's cost me for an Edifice :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davey P said:

Your definition of "mid range" is a bit different to mine though... :laughing2dw:

This remark reminds me of when I rolled my eyes watching the Spike Feresten's Talking Watches on Hodinkee. The Jo Siffert Heuer Autavia is a grail watch for me....Spike called it a beater watch.......... :sign_wtf:

• Haha 2

Yay! Mr Postie arrived.

7xEBEDh.jpg

Really like this, the size and fit is perfect, a decent size dial for presence and legibility but short compact lugs in an almost cushion shaped case that sit neatly within the wrist width.

g0O4FsP.jpg

The internal bezel is easy to use, but tight and covered by the asymmetrical case design so is never going to be inadvertently knocked or moved and whilst the watch feels quite light due to the aluminium case, it feels great on the wrist.

I was concerned the lack of heft would make it feel a little cheap but it is solid and very well put together, and then disappears on the wrist almost like wearing a little plastic Casio digital.

Very pleased and more than a little impressed. I've had 3 Hamilton's before and several black watches, but this one balances the black and white to remain clear and crisp whilst maintaining Hamilton's usual good quality finish despite not being a more standard lump of steel.

Also the first auto I've had that goes above and beyond the standard 40ish hour reserve, which is nice to know.

HAGD.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Another one for me to put on my wish list. How you feeling today?

Fantastic, dreading the local anesthetic and steroid jab wearing off in a few days because right now I feel like a new man.

At least I'll have this....

img_5092.jpg?w=840

And this....

1053957-alt3-1490.jpg

To help keep me chipper.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

Yay! Mr Postie arrived.

7xEBEDh.jpg

Really like this, the size and fit is perfect, a decent size dial for presence and legibility but short compact lugs in an almost cushion shaped case that sit neatly within the wrist width.

g0O4FsP.jpg

The internal bezel is easy to use, but tight and covered by the asymmetrical case design so is never going to be inadvertently knocked or moved and whilst the watch feels quite light due to the aluminium case, it feels great on the wrist.

I was concerned the lack of heft would make it feel a little cheap but it is solid and very well put together, and then disappears on the wrist almost like wearing a little plastic Casio digital.

Very pleased and more than a little impressed. I've had 3 Hamilton's before and several black watches, but this one balances the black and white to remain clear and crisp whilst maintaining Hamilton's usual good quality finish despite not being a more standard lump of steel.

Also the first auto I've had that goes above and beyond the standard 40ish hour reserve, which is nice to know.

HAGD.

Looks bigger on the wrist than i imagined, thats not a criticism, far from it, merely an observation, i`d deffo wear it if i had it and i dont usually like nato straps, it looks nice!

46 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Looks bigger on the wrist than i imagined, thats not a criticism, far from it, merely an observation, i`d deffo wear it if i had it and i dont usually like nato straps, it looks nice!

I should have mentioned in the review, the original strap that came with it is a single pass NATO that is really cheap and thin, somehow despite being really thin and light it is somehow still really stiff, it feels like it is made from a mixture of paper and tinfoil.

The two peice that the previous owner had it on is fabric to keep the original appearance, but is a much better feel and wear and also down't cover the display back (you have to question the Hamilton design team for putting a display back and then covering it with a NATO!?)

• Like 1